Author Topic: checking in..  (Read 2945 times)

FlyersFan68

checking in..
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:14:11 pm »
I would like to say hello to everyone since it’s been a while. I just had my third post surgical MRI that turned out excellent. It’s already been five years since surgery. All the post-surgical enhancements are gone. The first MRI was a little messy. The second one was much better and now almost five years later the results are what I expected. All the films from all the various angles are “clearâ€? and my doctors don’t feel the need to see me again for five years. I thought they would suggest three or four but I’ll take the five since I did endure surgery. This entire experience was quite the journey. I’m just glad to be entirely disconnected from this “abnormalityâ€? (don’t want to use profanity). However, I’d still like to remain a member  :) Surgery has become nothing more than a distant memory. My balance is fine and I still remain very active. I am fortunate to have a ten-year old son that requires a great deal of attention and activity. We’re always playing various sports with all his friends in the neighborhood. I have to step back once in a while and remind myself that I’m not ten anymore. I’m not even thirty anymore. I know one day soon he won’t be asking me join in but for the moment I’ll take it and run. I am completely deaf in one ear but learned to adjust. Single sided deafness is mostly sub-conscious. I was in a very loud bar the other night for my 40th birthday and heard everything fine on my “good sideâ€?. However, another friend was on my deaf side and this was difficult. I had to really twist my head in order to hear. I used to be a DJ and gave it up since I don’t want to expose my good ear to loud music too often. It was more for fun and kicks anyway. I’ll be sure to take extra precautions with my good ear so hopefully I won’t have to worry about hearing aids until my 70’s. Some things have changed but I’m certainly not being held back. I can live with asking people to repeat themselves in loud environments once in a while. I’m not too crazy about the scar. I have to let my hair grow to cover it up. The shaved look is great for me but the scar just makes me feel “differentâ€?. Not a huge deal I guess. I really can’t complain. I’ve never had any eye or facial issues before or after surgery. The entire tumor was removed so there are benefits of treating early. The stabbing pains within in my ear never returned. I’ll never forget how those pains would unexpectedly hit me while I was driving. I hope everyone here is doing well. I’ll be sure to remember everyone in my prayers. The Phillies really came through and hoping for a repeat. Flyers are right on track. Take Care!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: checking in..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »
where the heck have you been, dude? :) GREAT to see you!!!!!!!  BTW, Pitchers/Catchers reporting in a month... now, let's talk my BoSox! :)  Phillies earned it last year.... but, m'dear... BoSox! BoSox! :)

Congrats on the news and tickled to hear you are doing well. Don't be such a stranger. You have always provided terrific insight here (and a few kicks and giggles as well) and it's good to see you posting.

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

FlyersFan68

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:38:15 pm »
Did you see our parade on TV? I was right there at Broad & Oregon. Maybe this year we'll play Boston. That would have been a bit more glamorous, IMO. If I remember correctly I think we swept them during the regular season. Anyway, thanks for the kind words and I'll be sure to check in from time to time. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:57:57 pm »
Flyers Fan:

Thanks for the very encouraging 5-year update!  I'm pleased to learn you're doing so well and I can empathize with your comment about the surgery being a distant memory and how you handle being SSD.  My surgery was 2½ years ago and also seems like something that happened in another life.  I deal quite well with the SSD and although it can be a nuisance at times, I can cope.  I also escaped having any real eye or facial issues post-op and my recovery has gone just as well as I had hoped it would. 

We recently vacationed at Disney World in Orlando, Florida where I went on a lot of very fast rides, including the notorious Space Mountain ride (mostly dark and very wild).  No problem at all...I had a ball!  I also walked what seemed like 10 miles a day, in the summer heat and humidity of Florida.  I was hot and sometimes uncomfortable but otherwise, I held up just fine.  One 29-year-old in our group said she was too tired (from all the walking) to do anything but sit by the pool on our last day there.  Her mother and father (younger than I am) did the same thing. So, my wife and I went by ourselves (Epcot) and had a great time.  My wife said that after my 'performance' at Disney World, she really thinks I'm now fully recovered.  So do I.    I'm pleased to learn I'm not the only one.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »
 I was in Disney this past June. First time ever. I need to get back there soon because there's much more I need to do and see. Of course we didn't get to relax much but we did dedicate one day within the resort hanging by the pool and later going downtown. This year will be a week of relaxation somewhere. Even though things are getting tougher financially I still need that week or two to "regroup". Glad your getting around without problem. Epcot was enjoyable for us too. At this point I would say that I'm a closed book for now. I'm not sure if I'm even capable of providing advice anymore. There was a time I had "too much information" and I had to let go. May have made me a bit more healthier too.
 Phyl, it turns out the Phillies won just one of three games played this past season against Boston. They will play them again this season three more times in June so make sure you watch. The Bruins are darn good too this year. If you change that "y" to and "i" you have Phil which is short for Philadelphia Or Phil-ly. Maybe your a Phillies fan?  :P

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:26 pm »
FlyersFan -

thanks for the very positive recap of your post AN life.  It sounds like things are going very well for you and that's always encouraging to hear.

Glad you came back to update everyone. 

Don't be a stanger.  A story like yours will be very helpful to newbies facing treatment.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 06:07:22 pm »
FlyersFan,
Good to hear from you and even betterto hear you had such great news!  Life getting back to normal is somethng we all aspire to and I'm very happy for you that you life is getting back to normal.  I have to agree with Jan, you should post now and then if you have time.  It makes things easier for newbies and even not so newbies to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel nad hear it from someone who's been  there and done that.   ;D

Best wishes,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!