Author Topic: Finding new employment after a lay off  (Read 1561 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Finding new employment after a lay off
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:46:34 pm »
I have a serious conundrum. I was recently laid off. My lay off was unrelated to the AN. The company I worked for is going through some hard times and I was just one of many. Prior to this they had been very good to me, very understanding, including getting me a laptop so that I could work at home whenever necessary. I always went above and beyond when it came to getting the work done and have always been recognized as a very valuable employee.

Now the problem is finding a new employer while still being honest about the issues that my AN bring. My biggest problem is occasionally being unable to drive or days with extreme headaches. I'd have to say that it's likely that during the course of a month there are likely to be 5-7 weekdays that I'm either unable to drive to an office or unable to work at all. Not many new employers are going to be willing to take on that kind of burden. In the past I've always made up for it by either working at home during the day, night, or weekends...whatever was necessary to make it work. In the current job market its difficult enough to find a position that fits nevermind finding one with this albatross around my neck. I'm more than a little concerned. I'm starting to think of alternatives and I'm interested in hearing what others may have done.

I'm considering freelancing...or even going into business for myself in a completely unrelated area from what I've always done just so that I can be my own boss and not have to worry about this again down the line...of course that brings a whole new set of worries too.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Finding new employment after a lay off
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:21:12 am »
Stoneaxe,

First let me say how sorry I am about your employment issues. I think you are on the right track in starting your own business.  I haven't met any employer who is willing to work with 5-7 days off a month, no matter how good a worker.  That said, after not being able to work for four years, Social Security Disability finally approved me.  Fortunately, I have a husband who carries the load for our family.  It is very difficult for me though, because we were equals in the income brought in and now that is gone.  My husband doesn't have a problem with it but I do! 
Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.  Is consulting in your field something that would be feasible?

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:17:21 am »
Hi again,
Maybe Pooter will reply, I know he went through some similar issues. I for one would go for the freelancing; more stressful on the finances but at least you call the shots. Good luck.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:20:38 pm »
I got my current job 10 years ago by doing some work as a consultant. After a few months, they decided it would be less expensive to just hire me. Little did they know.  ;)

Consulting is a good way to get in the door at a new company, depending on what sort of work you do, I guess. It has the advantage of not bringing up the medical issue right away. A really good employer might recognize that the issue is not that severe, especially if they want you, but I agree, it is a lot to ask of a new employer that doesn't know you. Doing consulting first gives them a chance to see if you are worth it to them - which I'm sure you are, of course. In my case, there was no medical issue, but it is often difficult to get a good job anyway, and the freelance/consulting approach is a good stepping stone.

What sort of business would you start if you went off on your own? That could be really good, if you have something in mind that would work well. People who do that and succeed tell me they would never go back to a nine-to-five job. There is more risk, but a bigger reward if it works.

Best of luck to you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:01:18 pm »
Stoneaxe:

Although my AN didn't manifest itself until I had retired, you have my sympathy on being 'displaced' and having AN-related issues to cope with, relative to working.   That said, and considering your limitations (from an employers perspective), I would seriously consider freelancing, which can be financially precarious but offers the kind of flexibility you need, and, as Steve aptly noted, consulting can be a wedge into being considered for a full-time position once a company and it's executives see the quality of your work and realize that your absences are not deleterious to your ability to do what you do.  The fact that you can work from home with a laptop is also a plus because it is an obvious work-around to your likely absences.  If 'Plan A' doesn't pan out, you can always go to 'Plan B': attempt to start a new small business, which is even more financially precarious but possibly very financially rewarding.  It also eliminates the issue of absences, because you're the boss. 

Obviously, the decision will be yours.   Perhaps you'll find an employer willing to accommodate your likely absences but I think you're right to be concerned and looking at alternative ways to make a living.    Let us know what you decide.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Patti

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:14:41 pm »
Stoneaxe-i was a 7th grade science teacher.  i was placed on disability but with that you still can earn roughly $900 a month.  so a local lawyer asked me to work part-time for her (casual office).  i told her that i can't commit to a schedule because of bad days and that my family obligations come first.  she understands and has trained me to be a paralegal.  it has been 3 years now.  i guess what i am trying to say is that when you are older and have many years of work experience behind you, perhaps you can sell the fact that you are a good worker, reliable, and smart.  have your current employer explain that you always get the work done but that you need some flexibility.  perhaps you, too, are eligible for disability and can work part-time.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 03:46:33 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this....making lists trying to analyze the advantages of the alternatives. I'm beginning to think it may be a combination of all of the above. I don't plan on exploring the disabilty route just yet though. I feel it ends up being so limiting.

My thought is a combination of freelancing/consulting in the business that I've always done and also starting a business that I might grow into the future. It should be interesting if nothing else. It's going to mean some long days but that's a good thing. At least I'll be working for myself.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 06:54:20 pm »
Stone -

I'm looking at this issue from a different perspective than the others seem to be.

Have you given any thought to finding out how to solve your headache problems?  or at least get them to be less frequent?  If you could, the absences from work would be a non-issue.

I know from other posts on this forum that headaches can be very debilitating, so I'm not taking this problem lightly.  I also know, once again from reading posts, that finding a doctor to solve headache problems isn't easy. 

Captain Deb is one who has suffered from horrible headaches and she finally found some relief a few months ago.  She could probably give you some good pointers on what works and what doesn't work as far as headaches go.  I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you PM'd her.

Just a thought,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 06:31:46 am »
How about a Paddleboard school or Store ?   ;D 
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:31:39 am »
Hi Stone-

I vote for self-employment.  I started my own consulting and coaching business in 2002, on the heals of 9/11.  Prior to that, I had spent years as a corporate executive.  Being your own boss is rewarding, terrifying, and satisfying.  For me, it was a great decision and I have never looked back. 

Now, if I may put my coaching hat on for a moment ... make sure you have a plan in place for getting clients.  That is where most new business owners struggle the most.  Most of us are very good at "doing", but maybe not quite as good at "getting."  There is no miracle to client acquisition - it is just a numbers game and it requires us to get out and meet as many prospective clients as possible.  Cold calls and networking, maybe a little advertising.

That said, there is a tremendous satisfaction in building your own business and it not having to work by someone else's "rules!" 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com