Author Topic: Surgery Date is SET  (Read 2752 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Re: Surgery Date is SET
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 09:57:15 am »
Today is the day I'm printing out the list of things to take to the hospital and going shopping - thanks for that list!!!  Does anyone who had a retrosigmoid surgery have any suggestions on a good pillow?  Mine is really soft, very fluffable, but no support - I'm a side sleeper.  I've seen all kinds of variations of pillows at stores, but there's too many options!

Thoughts?????

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 10:11:55 am »
Kathy -

I had retrosigmoid.   

The first few days in the hospital you'll probably have the ever-so-lovely mastoid bandage wrapped tightly around your head, which IMO makes it impossible to sleep on your side.   Although I'm a side sleeper, I had to sleep on my back because that was the only way I could get semi-comfortable.  Sleeping on my back for a time also seemed to help my stiff neck feel better. 

I'd look for a nice, firm pillow with support.

Eventually I was able to go back to sleeping on my side and I started off sleeping on my "good" side until your AN side healed - which was several weeks.  Once my AN side wasn't so sensitive I switched to sleeping on it so that my good ear is not against the pillow.  I've found that if my good ear is to the pillow I miss lots of stuff - telephone and alarm ringing mostly.

When I really want a good night's sleep - and I don't need to hear an alarm - I always sleep on my "good" side; makes for a better night's sleep.

That's my two cents worth,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 02:37:09 pm »
Today is the day I'm printing out the list of things to take to the hospital and going shopping - thanks for that list!!!  Does anyone who had a retrosigmoid surgery have any suggestions on a good pillow?  Mine is really soft, very fluffable, but no support - I'm a side sleeper.  I've seen all kinds of variations of pillows at stores, but there's too many options!  Thoughts????

Kathy:

I underwent the retrosigmoid approach surgery.  The large and too-tight headwrap is a burden but can be cut a bit (by your doctor) to loosen it and if you implore your doctor, as I did, he'll probably remove it in a few days (3, in my case).  I can sleep on anything but, like the inestimable Jan ('leapyrtwins'), I'm a side-sleeper and it was tricky sleeping on only one side, but I managed.  The 'AN side' (my left) was sensitive for about 4-6 months, but eventually healed and I now sleep on that side with no problem.  For a pillow, I would choose one that is firm but not 'hard'.  However, each of us probably has their own definition of what constitutes 'firm' (or soft) so I would guess that, whatever others may choose or recommend, in the final analysis, you'll have to decide for yourself, which is usually the best course to take, anyway.  I hope you find the pillow of your dreams.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 12:51:16 am »
Kathy,
Believe it or not, I actually got a pregnancy pillow wedge that prevents you from turning onto your side (just one side but that's all I needed).  That plus my good foam pillow were great.  I still can't sleep on my AN side but that's more because of the increased numbness on that side.  The neck wrap that you could heat up in the microwave helped me as well.  All of these things for home.  In the hospital I used what they gave me and the bed had very good support as did the pillow.  Hope you do great!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 05:36:41 pm »
Best wishes, Kathy!

You also made it into the weekly update from LADavid: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8468.0

We are with you. I'm sure Kristin is too. See you back soon!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 09:50:27 pm »
Good luck, Kathy.

I'll be praying for you.  See you soon as a postie!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways