Author Topic: Any abdominal infections out there?  (Read 2412 times)

dizzyinca

Any abdominal infections out there?
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
I am currently dealing with a donor site infection that required surgical debridement and a nice little tunnel (after a translab).  I know that this is a rare complication, but am wondering if any others out there. 

Thanks to all.... for your posts, they have helped me understand my new post-op self....

Other than my issues above and an occasional meltdown, I consider my surgery a success.  My smile is still symmetrical and I have resumed most of my normal activities (except for my normal employment).  SSD can have some advantages, as one can truely claim selective hearing....   Vestibular rehab/physical therapy proved to be valuable in my recovery. 

Had my check up's this week, and if all continues to heal as planned...I'll return to my employment next week.  One step closer to my new "normal".... :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 04:17:27 pm by dizzyinca »

lori67

Re: Any abdominal infections out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:02:56 pm »
You are actually the first person I've ever heard of having an infection in the abdominal incision.  Isn't it nice to be unique?  However, just because I've never heard of it, I'm sure it happens - just like with any other incision.

I hope the debridement is the end of it and you're on the mend from now on. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:19:24 am »
ditto, this is the first time for me too - and no, i did not have any abdominal incision infection, but i had a bladder infection during my hospital stay  ???  i hope you will continue to heal and recover - hang in there!!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:59:22 am »
I've never heard of an infection from the abdominal incision either, so I guess you really are unique.  I guess sometimes being in that category is not always a good thing.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:14:01 am »
was wondering why i didnt have fat taken from any where , just closed up?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:27:17 am »
No worries; I'm in the non-fat-head club too.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.