Author Topic: Kathy M Update part II  (Read 8967 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Re: Kathy M Update part II
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 08:41:57 pm »
Hi everyone! it's been a crazy few days! my mom finally made it back home on sunday, WOOHOO  ;D  although she is still in quite a bit of pain, she is doing much better now that she's in the comfort of her own home. we had a little incident two days ago when she passed out twice in a row because she stood up too fast, it was because her blood pressure was too low. Ever since then she has been just fine (thank goodness).

she is sitting next to me right now, and i just finished reading her every single post that you all have written in regards to my initial updates, so she is now going to have me type a few words for her :) here goes....

Kathy:
"Too tired to type for myself, but it's great to have a personal assistant. Double vision comes and goes, nights are worst for overall comfort, just can't seem to find a comfortable position to sleep in. Physical Therapy starts tomorrow in my home. Still have significant ringing on the SSD side (left). No BM as of yet, since monday before surgery (Jan. 12), but that seems to be worrying others more than me, I'm sure it will happen whenever. Does anybody have any suggestions for help with swallowing after each bite of food? Right now I'm chasing each bite with a sip of milk and that seems to be the ticket. Got a few good pics we want to post soon from hospital stay, including ones with the infamous scarf! Will stay in touch! Any tips on anything else I have mentioned in my haze? Kristin will read them and tell me anything ya got!"

Okay, these are Kristins words again heh heh...i think my mom might also be having some short term memory loss. is that normal? it's nothing that is really freaking me out, but it is kind of bothering me a little. i wouldn't ever say anything to her about it because i imagine that would be a very touchy subject. and after all, she is still in the healing process, and most things get better with time.

Can't wait to hear from everyone! i will continue to be my mothers "personal assistant", as she so lovingly calls me now lol

Lots of love,
Kristin
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Kaybo

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 09:33:37 pm »
Ok..I'll just go ahead & address the whole BM issue - the longer you go w/out any action, chances are the WORSE it going to be when it does happen.  I hope it is not that way for you, but please start doing something for it!  I think Cheri asked and started a thread on this after she had surgery.  At any rate, it has been discussed before.  Does anyone remember what all was said?  I have always (after babies & surgeries) been given or used that little red gelcap - I think it is called Colace (?) or something similar to that.  I'm sure you can get it at Walmart or any drugstore - you could even ask the pharmacist.  Take it from someone who didn't go for a while...when I finally did - it was AWFUL!  I was back at the doctors' office too to make sure I didn't have a CFS leak.  I was in the restroom for EVER while the Dr's were waiting on me.  All around bad situation!

Glad that you are home and feeling better...baby steps...baby steps!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 10:32:12 pm »
Nights are worst of all... but that all gets better. For awhile there I thought that I would never sleep through the night. Sleep when you can, my wife had the TV moved into our room and I would wake about about 4:00am to take headache medicine and eventually I would fall asleep. But like I said it gets better... I sleep great through the eve and no more medicine... Thank GOD. As far as the BM I agree about the colace or do what I did and eat plenty of fruit. Drink water to stay hydrated... I had a tough time with Physical Therapy at first but I a month later I was like Rocky... Sounds like you all are moving in the right direction... remember to let your body heal and rest when you can. Glad to hear you are on the mending side now...
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 11:19:00 pm »
Kathy -

although it's not the most pleasant of topics, I'm weighing in on the whole BM issue also.

Frankly I'm a little surprised that they released you from the hospital before you had one.  I couldn't leave until I'd completed that "task"  ;)

Kay is right.  Lots of docs - mine included - recommend a stool softener (I was given Colace) because (not to be gross here) they don't want you to strain.  Seems it's not so great for your head post op.  I took Colace for several weeks post op - I think it was about six.  Anyway, it's OTC, so you might want to have someone pick some up for you.

Glad to hear you are home - definitely a much better place than the hospital.   Recovery takes time and requires lots of patience, but it sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

Keep the faith, postie  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 11:35:54 pm »
I was given a stool softener prescription upon being discharged.  I took one every day while in the hospital, too.  Like Jan, I wouldn't have been discharged without completing that "task" (as Jan so eloquently put it).  They really don't want you to strain for several weeks post surgery.  So, if you weren't given a laxative prescription, then go the colace route.  Stay hydrated and eat lots of fruit, as was suggested by others.

I'm with Kay in that the longer you (don't) go, the worse it will be.  So, do something quickly about it.  Stay on a softener or laxative for at least a couple of weeks.  I don't recall what I was given, but it appears to be very mild and I never had a problem with it.

I'm glad that Kathy is home now.  I can't help with the whole eating thing really because I really wasn't interested in food for some time post-op.  I ate iced cream most days just because it was fairly simple to eat.  I remember my first sandwich and first hamburger, and both were very difficult to eat with facial weakness.  The only thing that I can offer is small bite, chew them alot and slowly, and chase with milk/water/beverage.

As others have said, baby steps.  It's not a race but a marathon during recovery.  It's slow going at times, but ultimately you will get there. 

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 12:18:09 am »
most things get better with time

Yes they do, and don't you forget it.  ;)

It sounds like a pretty strong reaction to the anesthesia and surgery process to me, with some settling down yet to do. I'm betting you feel better in another week; remember you are just getting started on your first month after surgery. Enjoy your prune juice and milk of magnesia (can you mix those? ???  :P).

Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 07:14:44 am »
Hi Kristin:  The memory thing is normal.   After a few months post op I found the list I kept of dates/times I took Tylenol - I started writing April instead of June & didn;t even realize it !  So don't worry.   It should pass after a month or so.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

wendysig

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 08:12:07 am »
Hi Kristen and Kathy,

I'll start off by addressing the BM issue.  Colace is definitely a very good idea -- I was taking it while I was in the hospital and for at least a couple of weeks after I got home.  I'm also surprised they let you go home before you had a BM, I know I would not have been released becasue they said as much. One of the nurses gave me warm prune juice, Colace and Phillips Milk of Magnesia and that did the trick for me.  I seem to remember Cheri either took Ducolax or used a suppository by Ducolax, either way, I seem to remember it worked very well. 

Kathy - Between my belly incision and my head, I found it hard to find a comfortable position to sleep, but eventually got used to sleeping on my back witih my head turned to the left a little (my AN was on my right side and I usually sleep on my left side.).  Being  tired enough to sleep at any time was never too much of a problem for the first couple of weeks, I was always wiped out.  If sleeping at night is a problem because you're sleeping too much during the day , maybe you should rest as much as you need to, but try not to sleep quite as much in the daytime -- your body clock is probably all confused and doesn't know when you should be sleeping.

Sending healing thoughts your way,
Wendyt
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 02:12:00 pm »
Kathy:

Welcome home and thanks for your (dictated) post.  I believe that many of the issues you're dealing with right now will probably resolve within a few weeks, including the swallowing, which is usually the result of the 9th and 10th nerves being disturbed.  The literature I've read claims that post-op swallowing issues are almost always temporary.  I hope that is the case for you, Kathy.  The notorious BM issue has been pretty well addressed by others and I don't have much to add to the collective wisdom because a BM was not required for my discharge.  Fortunately, my system readjusted itself and I experienced a very substantial BM the day after I was discharged.  I attributed it to being in familiar surroundings and eating regularly...but who really knows?  Anyway, that was another issue that resolved itself, as I trust will also happen for you, especially if you use some of the laxatives that have been recommended in previous posts.  My only other suggestions would be to rest as much as you need to and look forward to the things you'll do as soon as you're up and around.  That's what I did and it worked well as a self-motivation technique. I was out and about within a few short weeks.   Of course we all heal and recover at a somewhat different pace so my experience cannot be an exact template for yours - or anyone else.  However, I urge you to retain a positive outlook, rest as needed and realize that there are always a few obstacles along the way back to normalcy.  You'll be able to surmount them, I'm sure.

Kristin:  Yes, short-term memory loss actually is fairly common in post-op patients but that too, should pass.  Remember, your mom has had serious brain surgery and will need time to heal and recover.  She may have some long-term deficits, but she should be fine, overall.  Your help and support is a key ingredient to her recovery and I salute you for stepping up to the task.  I know it's done out of love and I think we can all understand and admire that.  Get the rest you need, too, young lady and of course, stay connected with you AN 'family' as the days roll by.  We're here to support both you and your mom and we all want the very best for both of you.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

robynabc

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2009, 12:47:47 am »
Hi,

I am sorry to be late with this.  I talked to my son Eric with the swallowing issue.    He had alot of swallowing problems and had a paralyzed vocal cord.  Eric said this is how he would swallow.  Swallowing was his worst issue and he had to have a suctions machine for a while. 

This is what he said he did-  Put your head down like to your chest, turn to surgery side then the other vocal cord with take over for the surgery side.   I don't know if you are having problems with your vocal cord but the swallowing was quite a problem for Eric.   Eric started with cut watermelon and lived on chicken noodle soup with cut noodles for a while.  It got progressively better.  He was eating again alot sooner than you would think.  Just still has to be a little careful.  Hot or cold still affects him a little.  I hope that helps.

We are right there with you sweetie.  It will get better.  In a month you will be amazed.  The physical therapy will be helpful too.

Kristin,  I would not worry too much about the memory thing.  Eric was not himself until he got off the steroids.  We asked the doctor over and over if he was okay because he wasn't himself and would give me this look that scared me.  The doctor said it is normal for neurological patients.  It takes some time and those steroids are part of the problem. 

Hope that helps.

Love,

Robyn 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:54:01 am by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2009, 11:36:58 pm »
Hello Kathy (and Kirstin)!

Couple of late comments on the BM topic.  A long long time ago, I had a guest speaker for a psychology course at university who mentioned his patients were getting headaches because they couldn't do the BM Task due to drugs they were on.  So some of the health workers would give pain killers for the headaches, which makes the constipation worse.  Elevating the intracranial pressure from excessive pushing just adds to the headache situation.   Tylenol has "that" effect on a lot of people so to "get the cork out", as others suggested, stool softeners and a even mild laxative (there is a herbal option available at most bigger pharmacies - from Senna leaves I believe) are helpful. 

Looking forward to seeing pictures of you wearing the Magic Scarf posted soon!!

Keep positive and keep on healing!!

Cheers!

Ken
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:21 am »
Hi Kathy and Kirstin,
Yes, I never thought my bowels would start working but the more active I got, the more water I drank, etc.,.  Also had some drugs from the hospital.  I had wicked short term memory issues for a while and did things and then would forget that I had done them.  It was very scary to me, but it passed as I recovered.  Hang in there, you sound like you are doing great!
Marci
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:56:41 am by MAlegant »
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Denisex2boys

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2009, 08:33:19 am »
I am so happy you are home and starting the recovery ........ yes, can definately relate to the bowel thing and I must say that after a couple of days at home this was my main focus ...... and I was probably almost TWO weeks without any action ....... I must add though that I was one of the few that spent days vomitting in the hospital - and I could not swallow properly either so pretty much kept to soft pudding textured foods - and the fact that I was not eating much probably added to me not going - - I did drink prune juice by the loads though as well as had to resort to ExLax - - what a great board we have here that we can discuss this!  I know I was getting pretty freaked out and nervous that I was not 'moving' so to speak - but once I did things pretty much got back to 'normal' - I also stopped the T3's with codeine - codeine is killer on the bowels.

Good luck!  .... and continued recovery!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!