Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 1479 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
I'm back!
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:21 am »
Hi All!

Thanks to all of you who responded to my daughter's posts while I was getting through the first 10 days post-op.  She is such a terrific daughter!  With her, my son, and my husband, I have wanted for nothing, been monitored 24/7, and gotten unbelieveable care. 

She posted a few questions for me over the past few days - it's unbelievable that we can talk about so many sensitve issues (like BMs) with understanding, information, and bit of needed humor!!!!!  And we've never met!!! 

My surgery was 1/13 and I think I'm doing really well.  My biggest problem thus far (after the BM debacle) is double vision and I just can't get comfortable to rest.  I was afraid that would happen  -  I'm kinda like the princess and pea when it comes to pillows and sleeping and this, unfortunately, has carried over to post-op issues, too.  I think it even is causing more pain and discomfort than necessary -  and dang it, I'm too weak to shop!  (AND that is something that I have ever said before!)  Oh well, I"m sure as I heal, it will get better. 

I get my staples removed on Monday - a little nervous about that - I've never had them before and it sure sounds uncomfortable!  But, again, I'm very hopeful this will help on the comfort level overall, and just part of the continued joys of recovery!   

Thanks again, for all your support over the past 2 months (to me, and my family!).

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:44:09 am »
Kathy,

Congrats to you for "Posty-Hood" and sending you continued wellness wishes.... "day by day, inch by inch...".... my mantra.  Please take it easy and hoping things calm down for you soon.  Glad to see you hanging in there.

Wellness wishes... onward and upward! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:23:22 am »
So good to hear you are on the road to recovery. The sleeping part will get better. It took me about a month and a half to start sleeping though the night. How have your headaches been? Family support is such a big part of the recovery and it sounds like you have a great family. Isn't it amazing to be on the post surgery side of this journey. Take care and thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:24:55 am by JohnnyDiaz »
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 03:17:18 pm »
Welcome back, postie Kathy. :)

It sounds like you are doing better every day, which is the main thing. Recovery is under way! Go easy on yourself, you will get there.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:21:27 pm »
Kathy -

it's truly wonderful to see you back!  ;D

I'm so glad you're feeling well enough to post.

I had double-vision too, but it went away in time - I'm hoping yours will too.

As Johnny said, the sleeping will get better.  I found that I made progress - although sometimes at a snail's pace - each and every day post op.

Get lots of rest, and please, continue to update us.

Your fellow postie, Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:10:02 am »
Hi Kathy,
Glad you're back to posting.  I remember how hard it was to get comfortable enough to sleep.  I used a maternity pillow ( ;D) to keep me from turning onto the wrong side and that helped a lot.  Of course, nothing substitutes for letting time pass.  Take care of yourself.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:38 am »
Welcome back, Kathy!  Isn't it great to have family take such great care of you!  Everything does get better and easier with each day.  But do be sure to keep the naps going!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:19:41 am »
Welcome back Kathy!

The staples coming out isn't as bad as it sounds.  I think I was more nervous about that than the actual surgery!  But I didn't feel it at all.  I actually prefer to have staples removed than regular stitches because you don't feel that awful pulling sensation!  Yuk!

Hopefully you'll find a good position to sleep in.  I didn't have any problems in that department - I think I could have slept standing up!

Your daughter did a great job of keeping us in the loop!  When you feel up to shopping again, I think you should take her with you and buy her something nice!   And a note to Kristin - remember I said that when you're shopping for something nice for yourself!  wink, wink.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:38:40 am »
Welcome back, Kathy!  I'm glad that by and large everything went according to expectations.  Recovery time is painfully slow at times, but you'll find that with each passing day it gets better.  If you're up for a long read, read my blog (address listed below in my signature).  It will give you an idea of what recovery time was for me.  I should preface it with everyone is different and recovers at faster and slower paces and have different "demons" to deal with. 

Kristin did a great job of keeping us updated.. I'm with Lori, you should take her shopping.  ;)

Welcome home!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:11:53 pm »
Hi Kathy and welcome to Postieland!  ;D ;D ;D
I'm glad to hear you're feeling well enough to post for yourself again.  I didn't experience double vision and so I can't be much help except to say I hope it ends soon.  Finding a comfortable sleeping position is something I can relate to since my AN was on my right side and belly incision on the left side.  I just slept on  my back, even though I am a side sleeper by nature.  I was so wiped out from the surgery for the first couple of weeks that although it  was hard to  et to sleep, once there, I was unconcious.   When my belly healed enough -- about two weeks post-op I just went back to my left side.   As for the staples, I didn't have them in my head but I've had them for other surgery and found having them removed did not hurt at all and actually felt a lot better once they were out.  From what I've heard from others here,  having them removed from your head is painless too.   ;D

Best wishes for a smooth recovery,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!