Author Topic: Gamma Knife has reached Hampton Roads Virginia  (Read 2105 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Gamma Knife has reached Hampton Roads Virginia
« on: February 12, 2006, 04:49:48 pm »
Here's a piece of good news for those looking at the radiation route in Hampton Roads...

I've met the new Associate Medical Director...he did my fiance's back surgery...  Dr. Steiner will not be coming to Hampton Roads but will be helping in the treatment planning..I talked to him last week conserning my AN.

Just wanted to share an article about the new Gamma Knife machine that will be installed in the Riverside Hospital here in hampton Roads Virginia:

http://www.riverside-online.com/about_riverside/news/release121304.cfm

The machine is the newest one on the market and will be handling the Gamma Knife load this June until the University of Virginia gets their machine upgraded.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

lmurray69

Re: Gamma Knife has reached Hampton Roads Virginia
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:10:38 pm »
I live in Missouri and I had the gammaknife at the university og Columbia I hate to say that if i had it to do over again I would not do it ..they put a halo on your head and it is litterly screwed in the skull. I still have the scar on my head I was on the table  5 and a half hours they did 5 different angles. You are put in a vise on the table ..they do give you a i dontcare shot and I have a bad back so it was ver hard to stay there that long...I am 53 and it was very hard on me my tumor is small but it has grown went from a 6 to a 9 mm in a year..any other info email me ...good luck at least it does give you a differnt option.. sorrry to be so depressing ...I am now looking for a surgeon,,,
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

minnkris

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 03:51:04 pm »
I had GK last August for an 8mm x 6mm AN. The head frame did not bother me. A little puffy and sore for a while where the screws went in.  I had two 5 minute doses of GK .  I was 53 (one month shy of 54) at the time of the GK. I'll be having my 6 month MRI and follow up March 6. I feel no differently than I did before the GK*, so I'm anxious to see and hear the results.  *Tinitus, partial hearing loss, dry eye and tongue, some balance issues. Actually, the dry eye and tongue are getting better I think. I wake up some mornings with moisture in my eye and I'm not nearly as thirsty as I was. Anyway, as we all know, these experiences are different for everyone.
8mm x 6mm AN left side
GK August, 2005

minnkris

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:55:23 pm »
By the way, in case anyone is interested, I had the GK done in Las Vegas.
8mm x 6mm AN left side
GK August, 2005