Author Topic: Stitches out TODAY but problems with VISION ??  (Read 1785 times)

Jwh

Stitches out TODAY but problems with VISION ??
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:11:06 pm »
Hi all,

I had my stitches removed today - what a relief.  My stiffness around my head is sooo much better and my neck movement is better as well!  Dr. Roland said my incision looks great and my thigh where they took the fat looks good - YIPEE!  Life is good ( :

He said about three more weeks of restrictions.  I can deal with that  :) :) :) 

On another confusing note:
As my parents were driving into the city, I was trying to read the highway signs and I couldn't focus on them or read them.  My eyes were playing tricks on me almost a double vision?  I had to close one eye to be able to read the sign!?!  Now I haven't had any problems at home with typing watching t.v., reading magazines, etc so this thru me for a loop.  I asked the doctor about it and he said ( which I don't understand and I don't even no if I'm communicating this properly to you)  that when you disturb the vestibular nerve it can take some time for both sides to work together again which could be causing this problem.  He said it should subside in a couple of weeks.  PLEASE can anyone share any similar experiences or shed some light on this situation - I'm confused.

Also something very important - when can I have a glass of wine?  I forgot to ask the doctor.  (Don't forget I'm only 11 days post-op).  I think I deserve a nice drink right about now  ;) ;)

Thanks everyone!
Jen

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:01:01 am by Jwh »
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Stitches out TODAY but problems with VISION ??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:34:54 pm »
Jen it is still so soon after surgery.  I had some double-vision  (it cleared up on its own) and I know Calimama on this site had wicked double-vision for a long time.  She seems to be fine now.   So, give it some time and don't drive!! :D  You should let one of your doctors know as well. 

As far as the wine goes, I think it's fine unless you are taking medications. 

You're doing great.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:14:13 pm »
I had a lot of double vision and poor vision...it cleared up on its own within a few weeks...
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:28:33 pm »
My guess is that he's right about the disturbing of the vestibular nerve and things "settling in" to where both sides play nice together.  Also keep in mind that your head was in a weird position for an extended period of time during surgery, so likely your neck muscles are weak, sore, etc..  Those also play their role in vision.  Your neck is what keeps your neck (and head) on an even state when you are in motion so that when  you're moving, things looks more like you're not.. But, when your neck is sore, tight, etc.. then it's harder for your neck to perform that function hence making it harder to focus on moving objects.  I remember my vision being great when I was still, but as soon as I started moving (or in a car, heaven forbid) then focusing on moving objects just made it look like the whole world was on acid...

I did ask my doctor at about 3 weeks when I could drink beer again.. His first response was asking if I was taking any medication (the pain pills they sent me home with).  As long as I was off all medication, then he said a beer here or there was okay..  As long as you're off meds, then drink up!

Salut,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:37:24 pm »
hello jan
as to vision, yeah i got a similiar situation. i had double vision for the first 4-5 days, was not able to focus on anything.  Then it cleared up and i was able to finally watch tv on my last night at the hospital.   but then when i got into the car, i found out i could not focus on things that we were passing by - it was like my eyes could not get a "lock" on them.  i never had motion sickness before but that day, i felt every bump, every rock and every turn.  I was not comfortable in driving immediately because of these problems, but it did go away after one month.

good to hear you are recovering from your surgery, best wishes in your continued recovery!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 07:25:15 am »
Jen -

congratulations on the stitches removal; being able to wash your hair is a fantastic feeling  ;D

Double vision is a common side-effect of AN surgery; I had it myself for a few days post op.  It generally clears up on its own, in time, so I'm hopeful that will be the case with you.

I'm no doctor, but I'm with Marci and Brian; as long as you aren't on meds I don't think wine is a no-no.  Just keep in mind that a little too much might add to balance issues you may already be experiencing  ;)

Best wishes for your continued recovery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways