Author Topic: Sister's post-op  (Read 2014 times)

Jlynn

Sister's post-op
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:07:14 pm »
Hello....
My sister is almost 5 weeks post-op AN which was almost the size of a tennis ball.  She's recovering very well, but still seems to be unable to pull herself out and begin trying to do some self-help. Meaning doing things such as laundry and dishes.  It seems as though she wants  sleep a lot; and we are having trouble getting her even up to walk through the house or even outside.  Her PT stressed that she needs to do more general household duties.  She agrees but then does not  follow through.  I wonder if this could be a form of depression or fear... I would like to hear from others that this may have affected this way also....Thank you

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Sister's post-op
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:35:30 pm »
jlynn -

I'm no doctor, but IMO your sister could very well be dealing with depression.  Fatigue is normal and overwhelming post op and she is certainly experiencing that, but the sooner she gets back to her regular routine, generally the smoother her recovery will be. 

However, before you urge your sister to do more, I'd make sure her doctor is okay with that.  Most docs say that 6 weeks is the "normal" recovery period from AN surgery, but we are all different.  If her doctor hasn't placed any restrictions on her physical activity and agrees with her PT that she needs to do more, you might want to ask about depression.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jlynn

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »
She goes back in 2 weeks to see her surgeon.  Her husband has talked to them and they feel everything is progressing as it should.  Our family is worried that if it is depression; we want to be sure it gets treated correctly.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:07:25 pm »
Hi,
IMO it would be good to explore the possibility of depression, but I would want to somehow still be in communication with the original docs, and the primary care doctor as well.  I was in a hurry to get moving but the depression got me at about 3 months.  Things are much better now.  I wish you the same.
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 04:29:37 pm »
Jlynn ~

I'm sorry to learn of your sister's problems with resuming light physical activity.  I won't speculate except to agree with you that it could be fear that is stopping her, as well as the possible onset of depression or simply, an advanced case of lethargy, brought on by weeks of virtual inactivity.  Definitely consult medical professionals about this as they will review her medical history, examine her, if necessary and, one hopes, find a reason for her inability to reconnect and begin even light physical activity, which would be beneficial for her recovery.   With that, the doctors may be able to prescribe medication and/or recommend certain approaches to help your sister get moving again.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:45:16 pm »
I admittedly didn't do much of anything, and didn't want to do anything, for about 2 months.  I just went through a phase where I was recovering and just plain didn't want to do anything.  This will pass with time as she gets more and more victories.  I'm with others to see out medical professionals to be sure that depression can be ruled out.  From my experience, it's not out of the ordinary to not want to do things though.

Good luck!  Keep us posted!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:27:43 pm »
Sounds like me... I just didn't care. Didn't the whole world know what I was dealing with? What I had just been through? I never got out of my jammies. I curled in a ball and cried all day for 8 full weeks. I went to the doctor and said I need an antidepressant.. I slowly started to feel better. Damn it I had every right to feel depressed.. and I was told to 'shake it off' sorry doesn't work, I didn't have control over how I was feeling.
At 12 weeks I went back to work teaching, deaf in left ear, wonky head, facial paralysis and haven't looked back. I could not sit around waiting for my face to return... it is like watching grass grow. I like to be busy. We all need a purpose in life, a reason to get up in the morning, we need to feel we make a difference.
I hope that she can articulate how she is feeling and that if she is depressed that she gets the help she needs asap.
Keep us posted.
Michelle  ;D
Happy as a clam.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.