Author Topic: Michael Gates Gill  (Read 7383 times)

lori67

Re: Michael Gates Gill
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:54:05 pm »
Cheri,

I keep asking for a raise on this domestic engineer position too.  And maybe holidays off?  Haven't had any luck yet.  It might be time to go on strike.   :D

And, yes, you're right - the author came from money and had everything handed to him.  And I think there was a time of "rags" for him.  But, he was smart and made it work out for him.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:13 pm »
No Lori you have the job title ALL WRONG..........it is Domestic Goddess ;)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 05:22:36 pm »
I'm no hero...how about all the people that sacrifice everyday for us?  Soldiers, paramedics, police officers, or firefighters like Donnalynn's sweet Jim, who is now struggling because he has been protecting all of us!!  You are sweet, David, to say that though!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 07:05:31 pm »
Yes you are a hero Kay, Nancy is right beside you on the hero platform.  We have all had our battles with this thing.  We have all struggled to make our decisions about treatment.  None of us went looking for an employer to pay for our treatment.  Instead we came to this forum for help, advice, support and community.

Ladies and gentlemen take your bows because in my eyes we are ALL heros.

Anne Marie

PS I really do not think I want to read the book or see the movie.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 11:07:05 am by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 10:08:08 pm »
A couple of years ago our newspaper ran an article with the title "Stay-at-Home Moms are Domestic Goddesses." I cut out the title, laminated it and posted it on my fridge.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 10:53:54 am »
Anne Marie,

I almost typed "domestic goddess", but I didn't want to offend any stay at home dads we may have on the forum!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 11:08:07 am »
Than they are "Domestic Gods" hehehehe
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 12:05:31 pm »
If you saw me right now, you wouldn't say " goddess" - I just got back from the gym (& Walmart, of course)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 07:06:37 pm »
Well, I went to the library and checked out the book. I did not find Mr. Gil inspiring in any way. I'm afraid he lost me near he beginning when he indulged himself in an affair that caused his wife to leave him. I also thought he was using the book as a vehicle for dropping the names of the rich and famous he knew or brushed elbows with. (Frank Sinatra on the musak? Let me tell you about the time we hung out together . . . Tea? That reminds me of the time I spilled tea on Queen Elizabeth's lap. Prince Philip was none too happy, let me tell you . . .) And he just seemed to try too hard to convince the reader of how much happier he is now. I think most of his new-found happiness comes from lectures and the book and upcoming movie.

When I was laid off with a soon-to-be-ex-husband in drug rehab and a newborn to support, I walked two miles with the baby to the grocery store and carried her home with groceries in the stroller so that I could save the gas in my car for job interviews. How in the world could he afford Starbucks if he was so far down on his luck?

I'm glad that I did not buy the book to support this guy in any way. I would rather hear a speech from Crystal, the lady who hired him, any day.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 09:46:59 am »
Sara -

interesting perspective; thanks for sharing it.

As for me, I would never begrudge someone his/her good fortune - as long as it comes about legally  ;)

I didn't find Michael's book inspiring, but I did think it was a good success story.

Life is what you make of it and I say, you go Michael! 

Good luck with the pending divorce - I know that story all too well - extremely stressful; extremely costly; heartbreaking; long, long battle.  But in the end it will be worth it for you and your child(ren); it has been for me and mine.

I hope you have a success story of your own to tell (even if you don't publish a book about it) some day very, very soon.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 01:12:25 pm »
Hi Jan -- I don't begrudge him his success, I just prefer not to contribute to it as I just don't find his story inspiring. I think there is more to the story that was not told, but as a former Madison Street executive he knows how to construct the proper spin. I do have to say the book was well-written. Or he had an excellent editor, or both.

Thanks for the kind thoughts regarding my divorce, but it was actually way in the past and I could not be happier (well, not until my facial paresis clears up anyway!). My ex-husband died from complications of alcoholism about the time my youngest son was born. Such a waste. I am still sad when I think about it. Sorry I was not clearer about the time frame.

I hope everyone has a swell weekend.
Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09