Author Topic: Hypoglossal-Facial Anastomosis  (Read 8315 times)

duongvan

Hypoglossal-Facial Anastomosis
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:19:07 pm »

Hi all,

I am new to this website and thanks you all for the great comments, It's very helpful. Anyway, I have a question:
Has anyone ever have Hypoglossal Facial Nerve procedure done? I had a surgery in Janurary of this year 06 with 3.5 cm Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital Approach. I completely lost my right hearing along with facial paralysis. I went to see a Dr. 2 weeks ago he recommended for Hypoglossal-Facial Anastomosis procedure done in which he will use tongue nerve to connect to facial nerve.

Please write. Thanks

3.5 cm AN Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital - Dr. Stephen Nutik - Kaiser Northern CA.
3.5 cm Sub-occipital; Northern CA, DR. Stephen Nutik- 1/6/06

wadsy

Re: Hypoglossal-Facial Anastomosis
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 10:24:40 pm »
Why's your surgeon discussing a hypoglossal nerve graft so soon after your surgery? Did he accidently cut the facial nerve? If not the facial nerve WILL recover albeit slowly but a nerve graft is something they usually discuss some 12mths after surgery and there's no change of paralysis and no chance of spontanious recovery??? Or so I've been told. Him (your surgeon)discussing nerve grafts what, two months after surgery makes no sense to me. Anyone elses comments?

sunshine16

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 11:03:46 pm »
I'm not really sure the medical terms you guys mentioned here.  In my case though, 3 1/2 months post op. The left side of my face is still paralyzed.  Dr. House of House Ear Clinic, saw me Feb. 8, he told me that it's too early to think about any operation for facial nerve.  He also mentioned that it will come back and like 5% of the time it doesn't.  In my case he just says, to be patient, it will slowly comes back.  I don't remember the last time I have a full smile.  But I trust my doctors and God that hopefully my facial nerve will come back in shape (according to Dr. it is stretched out)  I don't know how helpful is this.....  But I would say do a lot of research and second opinions???? I don't know......... 

duongvan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 12:07:14 am »
Thanks Wadsy and sunshine16 for your comments; I did read the surgery report in details along with my Dr. had told me that my 7 and 12 nerves, which were the main nerve responsible for your facial movement were lacerated due to size and location of my tumor. My neuro-Dr. confirmed that the nerves were intentionally cut to be completely removed of the tumor.

It was too late to point the finger to anyone at this point, I am just think that I am lucky to be alive and that I am thankful for everything; I am just want to listen to all the advise from my Dr. and you guys so that I can select the right choice for my life style.

I had a post MRI that showed no sign of tumor left in my brain. The reason for the Dr. to recommended for Hypoglossal-Facial Anastomosis procedure done sooner rather later because he afraid that the longer you wait the longer for the nerve to be function if at all.
3.5 cm Sub-occipital; Northern CA, DR. Stephen Nutik- 1/6/06

wadsy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 05:41:06 am »
Hi Duongvan,

OK Im no doctor but, did they perform a nerve graft of any sort at the time of surgery to repair the 12th and 7th nerves they cut? Usually they do and join the severed nerve ends and it regenerates sometimes. If your doctor did do that IMO he's not giving the 'graft' he's done time to see if it takes. On the other hand he's right about time in that the quicker they do a hypoglossal graft the better the result but, as my doctor has said to me,a hypoglossal graft is successfu 12 months or more after original AN surgery. Hope this helps.

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:30:26 am »
here's my two cents:  I was told by three doctors whom I trust (go figure  lol) that in order to do a nerve graft it has to be done right away after the initial surgery.  My surgeon had mentioned doing a nerve graft on me in a year if my numbness didn't improve..when I talked to my doctors I know the best I was told the same thing. A year out is a bad choice as the damage is already done.  I have not researched anything because I decided I didn't want anymore surgery so I'm chosing to live with the numbness and hope in time it wakes up.  I know it's not paralysis so maybe if it was my thoughts would  be different :-\

sunshine16

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:16:49 am »
Hi, I just have a question,  I should say questionsss.  In May I'm due for my 2nd post op doctor visit.  And wants to know what question should I ask my doctor.  My main concern, and I think the doctors, too is the left side of my face.  Is it going back to normal?  What are the signs if you need the surgery?  My husband says my face looks better than it was after surgery, we see movement on it when I talk but can't smile......?  And my husband was told that during surgery the nerve(s) is/are tested electonically to see if it moves?  And Doctors said Yes.  But because of the size of my tumor, the facial nerver is stretched out, and the tumor was pressing the brain stem, it will take a lonngggggggg time........ 

Thank You.... I find this website very helpful.... 

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 11:22:15 am »
Sunshine you were at house too ! ..I'm about 7 months out ... I still have numbness , but it has changed .. I have the tinges in different spots, my lip feels "swollen" (which it did not before!), and one night (it only happed once so far) my face actually hurt! ... People have posted that they did feel pain before the feeling and movement came back .. so I'm taking these as good signs!!  ;D

I can live with the numbess forever If I have too ... would gladly trade movement (so I can simle!,eat,talk right) for feeling...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

sunshine16

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 11:35:18 am »
Hi Joef,

Yeah, I had Dr. House and Dr. Hitselberger.  They are really nice doctors.  They never made me feel as I'm a patient, all of them made me feel like I'm part of their family.  Dr. Stefan is very knowledgeable doctor and nice, I had Dr. Cox as my anesthesiologist, he is Great, Dr. Kultz, Dr. Michael Roberts (eye dr.), the nurses in ICU & 6th floor... I had a great experienced in House Ear Clinic & St. Vincent Med. Center.  and thank you for this website. 

Anyway,  I actually felt some tingling/little pain on my AN side face a couple of times.. I was wondering what was it.  I thought I got bit by an ant or some kind of insect.  I'm hopeful, that my face will be back to normal, so my left eye will look normal.  If not, I'm still thankful..... but I don't think I would think of going to another surgery.... Not for a longgggggggggggg time...... ;)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 01:46:04 pm »

Dont need to tell me... those were are of my Dr.'s too !! ...funnny, I actually was not crazy about Dr. Stefan when I met him .. by the time I left.. he was like a brother ;D ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 08:02:56 am »
see my responce in FAQ area where you also posted this question. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)