Author Topic: Effect of weather, post surgery  (Read 5353 times)

chopper

Effect of weather, post surgery
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:59:59 am »
Hey eveyone, I'm still in the process of doing research on which way to go and something just hit me...

Those of you who have had surgery, does cold weather have any effect on you in regards to pain or anything else?  It's kind of an important thing, as I live/work 750 miles or so above the Arctic Circle 9 months out of the year...so, cold as hell, yeah, it definitly is just that most of the time here.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Effect of weather, post surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 10:47:01 am »
yep.. if you have trouble closing your eye or blinking..  the cold or wind will be a problem .. other than eye issues, it should ok.

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

chopper

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 08:37:19 am »
Hmmmm...that would be an issue for sure.  95% of the time it's windy here, as there's just nothing to stop it.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 12:45:39 pm »
Hi Chopper, I agree that wind is a problem with my eye but, it also causes me to lose my balance more. So far the only problem I have with cold is when its blowing on my surgery site for an extended period of time. Thats easy enough to fix with a warm hat.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 10:29:42 pm »
My head tends to throb when it's cold outside.  Hats help!

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 12:00:12 am »
My present theory is that the barometric pressure is working against us when the weather changes.  Although I feel as if the windy could just blow me over when it is windy, it is probably the air pressure on my ears.  The cold makes my muscles tense up and I can lose my balance easier.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 02:10:52 pm »
Hi, 9 months post-op. I live in Minnesota.  I haven't noticed any difference this winter, and no I do not wear a hat, ear muffs or anything else on my head.
DS

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 06:21:32 pm »
The first time I was out in the cold I did get a headache, about 6 mo post op. Not a problem now, 22 mo. However I do get a lowgrade headache whenever the weather is about to change. I'm more reliable than the weatherman. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 11:19:03 pm »
I don't notice much difference from pre to post surgery with the cold.  For the wind I wear wrap around sunglasses.  What I do notice is that I'm slower on the ice because I'm more careful.  Haven't fallen yet.  Walking around in the snowbanks is good for your balance.  :-)
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD