Author Topic: One more hurdle  (Read 1376 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
One more hurdle
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:53:21 am »
Hi to all the forumites,

I am finally clear of the meningitis-good riddance!  Once I finished the steroids, the meningitis symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks.  It was like having the aches and headaches of the flu for a week straight.  I am so thankful to be pain free once again.  :)  I had to do two weeks of IV therapy instead of the one week, and was ever so glad to be done with that.  There is something inherently wrong about getting in the shower and worrying about getting wet!  My last hurdle now is getting the leak healed.  I am having more and more good days, and I would dearly love to think that things are moving in that direction, but Egbert, my goose egg. will still have days when he decides he is going to make his presence known.  After feeling really terrific over the weekend, Egbert is puffy today.  I am sticking close to home and wearing my pressure bandage to keep him in check.

Onward and upward, two steps forward and one step back.  I may not have had an AN, but my recovery echoes to some extent what many of you have gone through.  Your experiences have helped me weather the current storms with more patience than I would have if I were just out here on my own, trying to figure out what the heck is going on! :)  Thanks for all the collective wisdom and encouragement handed out for all of us still struggling to get through it.
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

Re: One more hurdle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:00:28 am »
Priscilla~
It just stinks what all you have gone through, but you have auch an amazing outlook and attitude and I FIRMLY believe that helps!  Let's hope all this is buried once and for all and you are well on your way to GOOD HEALTH!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 01:09:50 pm »
I think Egbert is overstaying his welcome!!  Time to kick him to the curb!   :D

Despite the setbacks, it sounds like you're heading in the right direction now.  Keep heading that way!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 02:48:23 pm »
Priscilla ~

You've courageously endured an arduous recovery and I'm very pleased to see things slowly but surely looking brighter as you draw nearer to that light at the end of this particular tunnel.  I'm also gratified to learn that the forums have helped you bear up and work through your trials.  May you have continue to have more and more 'better days'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 03:25:05 pm »
Priscilla:  I love what you said: "There is something inherently wrong with getting in the shower & worrying about getting wet!"
That is priceless ! ! 
I also had horrible headaches for 2 weeks,  then it slowly abated.
Continued healing my friend,  remember to listen to your body & rest,  rest.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 05:10:00 pm »
Priscilla,
It's like being stuck at a train crossing, watching the train move slowly.  Then it stops. And begins to move backwards.  Good days and bad days.  Let's just hope the good start to outnumber the bad. 
Marci  ;)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:25:44 pm »
Priscilla,
I'm glad to hear you are feeling better but sorry to hear Egbert is still causing problems (cute name for a not so cute problem  :D).  Hang in there and things will get better.  One step forward, two steps back sounds pretty normal but this will get better too. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!