Author Topic: What about physical therapy post-op?  (Read 2578 times)

DLM4me

What about physical therapy post-op?
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:31:39 pm »
I'm scheduled for surgery on April 8; I know they're removing the vestibular nerve from the AN ear (right), and that I'll probably lose all hearing in that ear.  What can I expect post-op?  I mean immediately, while still in the hospital, but also afterwards.  Will there be physical therapy?  I've said in my other posts that I already have a 5+ year history of dizziness--and falling--and breaking bones each time I fell--so, to put it mildly, I'M SCARED about post-op balance problems.  My friends and relatives are already suggesting having a walker or even wheelchair to avoid potential falls, and that's fine while I'm re-learning how to balance, but I just want to know how that actually happens.

FWIW, I'm in L.A. and am [luckily!] being treated at House.

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

cin605

Re: What about physical therapy post-op?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:00:13 pm »
How is your hearing in your bad ear now alot of times they can save whats left.I can still hear i just can not hear certain sounds.
I ahd alot of blocking feeling like your underwater sounds some rather loud..like when you ears pop in ahigh place.I still have tinnitus
now in both ears...i get the rice crispy sound too.
There is a post here somewhere that each person describes the sounds they hear.I think its under issues.I would have the walker &
chair just in case if you need it its there ..if not than HORAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:43:05 pm »
I don't know you're exact situation but it could be that you'll see an improvement in balance long term. My advice, find something that you can enjoy doing that challenges your balance (safely) and then work harder than you ever thought possible at it. Here's what I do....not for everybody but it's made life almost normal for me. Whatever you do...don't let yourself get stuck in that chair or walker too long or you may never get out.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8379.0

You could be getting conflicting signals from a partially functional nerve now. With that nerve removed your body can reset and learn to use the remaining pieces of your vestibular system to maintain balance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:47:10 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:02 pm »
DLM4me:

I had my vestibular nerve removed during surgery. I threw up alot. don't know if it was from the dizziness or the anesthesia. Maybe it was both. Couldn't keep much down during my 5-day stay in the hospital. I was so dizzy that just moving my eyes caused me to throw up. I kept my eyes closed most of the time during my 2-day stay in ICU. It didn't help that one eye felt like it was bouncing and the other felt like it was spinning.

On day 3 I was moved out of ICU into a regular room. It was there that a physical therapist came to help me sit up in a chair. The surgeon had warned me about how hard just sitting up for a few minutes would be. I thought I had an idea since just moving my eyes made me dizzy. The truth is that I had no idea how hard it would be, but I did manage it.

The next day the PT showed up with a walker to help me walk the hallway. That was very difficult also, but I found that the 1st time trying anything was extremely difficult, but after that it got easier. After that I got the nerve to go to the bathroom without the help of a nurse, but with my walker.

I stopped using the walker 2 or 3 days after I went home from the hospital. Actually, that's my sister's home. I stayed with her for 2 weeks. I stayed indoors most of that time and got around by holding on to walls and furniture. Then, when I got home (my home this time) I found an adjustable cane in my garage. As soon as the smoky summer air cleared up a bit, I started walking around the block with a partner and my cane. I think the cane allowed me to look around and feel steady.

Before sugery I had never fallen--except for one time that I passed out on my kitchen floor. I felt wobbly when I walked, and I bumped into wall corners alot, but I've never fallen. Nine months post-op, I'm still wobbly when I walk, but I bump into wall corners less often.

I still have my walker. If you want it, it's yours. So send me a PM if you are interested.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:48:47 pm »
Hi DLM, I just answered again on your other question, when I found this thread.
Re:  p.t. at House:  You will have a physical therapist assigned to you.  She (or he) will teach you what you need to know, including exercises that you can do on your own, inbetween her visits with you.  Your p.t. will visit with you and walk with you multiple times, & will have what you need in the hospital.
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

ernie h

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
be sure to insist on vestibular re-hab even if your dr's don't. it helps tremendously.esp if you get the right physical therapist.good luck.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:16 pm »
Like, Syl, I threw up a lot post op too  :P

I didn't have my surgery at House - had it closer to home - but had an excellent outcome.

My neurotologist gave me vestibular exercises to do at home both pre and post op.  After my surgery he offered me the option of having a physical therapist if I wanted one, but I was making good progress on my own, so I declined.

Everyone's recovery is different - you may need PT, you may not need PT.  Things will become clearer post op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:18:01 pm »
Hi DLM -- I think you'll find that post-therapy is a bit different for everyone.  I, for one, was fine in the hospital -- I staggered a little, but I could pretty much do hall walks on my own.  It wasn't until after I got home that my balance became worse.  No clue as to why.  Today, almost a year and a half later, I still have bad balance days.  I started physical therapy for it last May -- I'm still in PT but it's now more for my face synkinesis than balance.  I go to Theresa England in Garden Grove in Orange County.  She's one of the top for facial reanimation.  She also has excellent facilities for vestibular training.  Best wishes.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Pembo

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 05:16:27 pm »
I was very dizzy pre-op....it was a different kind of off-balance in the early days after surgery. I did have pt and started with a walker however part of that was because I was in bed for 8 days after surgery. I threw up a lot too...I'm sensitive to pain meds, they stopped the heavy drugs I got better fast but I lost 16 lbs....

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

OTO

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:29:44 pm »
While recuperating in St. Vincent's, a PT will come to work with you.  After the first couple of days, they will want you to walk around the ward.  There will be a walker you can use, and if you are very shaky, you can ask one of the nurse assistants to accompany you.    When you meet with your House Clinic doctor about 10 days post surgery (you'll be out of the hospital in about 5 days), he should give you a page of exercises to do when you go home.