Author Topic: New here, MRI today.....  (Read 2100 times)

bambi81

New here, MRI today.....
« on: March 25, 2009, 10:00:07 am »
I have been looking over this site for a few days now.  I have a possible AN, and go in for my MRI in a couple of hours.  I have had not so good hearing in my right ear for as long as I can remember.  The tinnitus and fullness is what has alarmed me to see a doc.  I have lived with it for 4 months now, I woke up one morning and felt like I had a seashell to my right ear and was on a tilt-a-whirl.  Those symptoms faded, but it seems the tinnitus has taken over my hearing.  The ENT did tests on me and said my hearing is down to 50% in my right ear, and that it is due to nerve damage.  He ordered and MRI to be done.
I have been a complete mess since the words AN came out of his mouth.  I know I should take on step at a time, but I am a worry wort as it is.  I just moved away from my family to live with my BF 5 months ago.  I really need a hug from my Mom and Dad right about now.  I am glad to find this forum with people that understand what I am going through.  It is definitley nice to see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Whitney

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: New here, MRI today.....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:16:02 pm »
Welcome to you, Whitney

We hope that you do not have an AN.  We wouldn't wish that on anybody, but this is the place to be if you do.  Feel free to ask any questions, no matter how trivial they may seem.  We all come into this scared and in a panic.  You will have lots of people to guide you through the way out world of an AN.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:07:32 pm »
Hi Whitney,

Everyone on this site has been touched by an AN in one way or another.  The people here are straight shooters, and they are the most compassionate and supportive group of individuals you could ask for.  There is no dumb question, and no wrong way to ask them.

Welcome,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

bambi81

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:30:31 pm »
Thank you both!!  It is so nice to actually talk with people who have been there and are there.  I have been looking at every informational website out there, but those are all one sided and written by doctors and experts.  It is so comforting to be here with you all!!! ;)

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:53:46 pm »
My loss of hearing started about a year before I had my first MRI and yes my ENT said the same thing "you may have what is called a acoustic neuroma". A what? what? and go get checked out.  The good thing is that you ARE getting it checked out. I am so glad that I kept trying to find out what was going on with me. I knew something was just not right. But try not to worry, take it one step at a time. The guy before me at the ENT just had loss of hearing but no AN. So find out first what is going on and then take the next step whatever it may be.

There are a lot of us who had an AN/ Surgery/ Rehab and "bada bing" 5 months later good to go. So let's see what the Doc tells you first... When you find out post it here to keep us up to date. Many really cool people on this board that like to encourage, laugh, cry and pray for each other... So let us know what happens and if you need Q&A's we will be here... Wish you well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:57:51 pm by JohnnyDiaz »
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:36:11 pm »
Hi, Bambi ~

I'm sorry to learn you may have an acoustic neuroma and I certainly hope and will pray that you don't - but welcome, anyway.  The folks here have complete empathy for those in your position, waiting on an MRI report to find out if they have an AN.  While we're a support website and forum, we don't sugar-coat reality or blow smoke, but we do understand your fears and concerns.  We're not doctors and don't offer strict medical advise but we do try to answer practical questions.  If you end up needing this website/forum, we'll be here for you, and we care.  Stay strong.  :)

Jim 

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

joebloggs

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:39:30 pm »
Hi Whitney,

Hope you're MRI is quick and relatively stress free - I just wanted to wish you luck and welcome you - whether you end up being diagnosed with an AN for sure or not.  It sure is scary when they first start telling you what you might or might not have so I totally understand - I was diagnosed late last year and at that time I was in the UK (I am Australian) so I was a long long way from my Mum and Dad so I absolutely know what you mean about needing a hug.  You'll get lots of hugs and support in the time to come I'm sure - whether in real life or "forum" hugs!

Best wishes

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:04:17 pm »
It is so comforting to be here with you all!!! ;)

Glad you like it. Please make yourself at home. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 05:57:20 am »
It is so comforting to be here with you all!!! ;)

Glad you like it. Please make yourself at home. :)

Steve

too bad the grog is watered down! ;)

Hi Whitney and welcome. As you can see, we don't bite around here and are happy to help in any way we can. I saw your other post about the MRI experience (what some here refer to as the "Tube o' Gloom" but that tube is a an absolute for us here).  My hope is that the scans show no reference to an AN and that you obtain answers soon to help your situation. Please keep us updated on the MRI results and know that the scurvy lot here (as you may have read about the Piratitude around here) is cheering you on, as you already can tell.

Welness wishes to you... and again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:22:21 pm »
Hi, Whitney.  Nice to meet you.  Welcome to the forum  ;D

I'm not a doctor, but it definitely sounds like your symptoms are AN symptoms.  Obviously the MRI will tell you for sure.

If it is, it's normal to be scared - I was - but please know that we are here for you.  Heck, we're here for you even if you don't have an AN  ;)

Seriously, an AN is something you can get through.  99.9% of them are benign - which IMO is excellent news.  Depending on the size and location of the AN, you typically have the choice of surgery or radiation - or you may even be able to watch and wait for a while before deciding on a course of treatment.

If you MRI does show an AN, please contact the ANA and ask them for their informational literature.  It's written in very basic, easy to understand, terms (not medical speak) and it's an excellent resource.  I highly recommend it.  They will also send you a WTT (willing to talk) list that has contact information for patients all over the US.  There may be someone near you who can tell you where they had their treatment. 

In addition, as I said previously, we are here for you.  Please don't hesitate to ask us anything, tell us when you have concerns, are scared, or just want to vent.  We've all been there and aren't shy about giving advice, opinions, or just recapping our personal experiences.

And you are correct - there IS a light at the end of the AN tunnel.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways