Author Topic: Things to do in LA near House Ear Clinic  (Read 2993 times)

GARZAP

Things to do in LA near House Ear Clinic
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:20:02 am »
My husband is wondering if anyone has any suggestions about things for him to do while we are in LA for my surgery.  We won't have a car, but I suppose we could rent one or get a taxi.   Thanks.
Peggy
Less than 2 cm L AN discovered 02/09 on MRI due to noticed hearing loss.  No other symptoms.  Surgery 4/14/09 Drs. Friedman, Swartz, and Stefan of House Ear Clinic, LA,CA....my heros.  Retro surgery, no loss of hearing or facial nerve or any complications so far (ten days post op)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Things to do in LA near House Ear Clinic
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:28:53 am »
in LA ? without a car ?  ;) ... Its funny ...  I just took my first MRI .. but did not know (yet) about the AN ... a had a planned a vacation ... to guess where.... LA !! I stayed only  about 10 milres from House....

One of my best moments at the Hospital ... my wife went to Cheesecake factory not far from House (at a well known mall nearby,  http://www.farmersmarketla.com/ ) and surpised me with a cheese cake ( I love cheese cake).  The whole hospital stay is kind of a blurr for me now ... but I remember that Cheesecake and how happy I was to get it !!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:30:30 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:04:03 pm »
Yes, the Farmers Market Joef is referring to is great and it's relatively easy (by LA standards) to get to from House - kind of a straight shot.  We rented a car at the airport and then my husband returned it when he returned home a week later.  My mother and I just used a taxi once he was gone - didn't do too much post op, however.  Our sightseeing was done the day before pre-op appointments.

There are certainly many things to see out there...if you're adventurous and brave about driving around :D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

GARZAP

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:45:07 pm »
Thanks Joef and Cindy.  My husband also loves cheesecake, and I love farmers markets....hopefully I can go too. :)
Peggy
Less than 2 cm L AN discovered 02/09 on MRI due to noticed hearing loss.  No other symptoms.  Surgery 4/14/09 Drs. Friedman, Swartz, and Stefan of House Ear Clinic, LA,CA....my heros.  Retro surgery, no loss of hearing or facial nerve or any complications so far (ten days post op)

NL

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:35:13 am »
Hi Peggy,

I just responded to your other post. Will you be in town for a few days before your surgery? The Farmers Market / The Grove (next door to each other) is a great spot with lots of choices of restaurants and a great place to walk around. It's the kind of place you'd enjoy before your surgery, or for your husband to go after your surgery and bring you some cheesecake.  ;D

Feel free to PM me and I can give you some other ideas, too.

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:18:34 pm »
If "Madeline's" is still at the Farmers' Market, eat there!  It's a great French restaurant.  I was post-surgery when we ate there, and they were so kind as to sit me at a table in the far back corner where I could be somewhat away from the din!  Lunching with my husband at Madeline's is one of my favorite memories.
China Town is also fun to visit.
Renting a car is the best way to go.
The best to you,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:04:23 pm »
You should definitely rent a car (preferably with a GPS). I found that touring around L.A. prior to my surgery was the most wonderful distraction -- we arrived the weekend before my Wednesday surgery and did as much sightseeing, etc. as possible. The Getty Art Museum (I know that's not the exact name) is lovely and we also went to Simi Valley to the Reagan Museum (if you go, be sure to have your picture taken as you board the Air Force One that's on display there). We also enjoyed driving through all the different neighborhoods and nearby university campuses. We didn't find the L.A. freeways to be as daunting as we had anticipated (admittedly my husband did all the driving, plus I don't know where you're from ... so I probably shouldn't be quite so glib about this), and the area is a bit more compact than I had expected. Beverly Hills and Hollywood are pretty close to House, for example. I have wonderful memories of everything we saw and did out there both before and after my surgery!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ