Author Topic: BAHA Processor Questions  (Read 3401 times)

grega

BAHA Processor Questions
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:13:24 am »
Hi,

I've been reading many of your posts recently as I move toward a decision on BAHA .... it's important to feel comfortable with all the advice you've offered .... thanks!

I've been trying the temporary BAHA device for two weeks, and will return it tomorrow.  I understand there will be an improved difference between what I hear with the temp unit and the actual implanted device and processor.  But how did you decide between the Divino and the Intenso units?  Or did your doctor decide for you? 

Several days ago, I discussed BAHA with an audiologist at U. of MD Med'l Ctr in Baltimore, who said that at UMM, when the time is right for the implant to receive the processor, you are able to try both units to decide which is best ... before the box containing the ordered processor is opened.

Were you given the chance to try both Divino and Intenso on your implanted post?  Would appreciate any input on this.  Thanks!

Greg

1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

JerseyGirl2

Re: BAHA Processor Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:04:49 pm »

But how did you decide between the Divino and the Intenso units?  Or did your doctor decide for you? 

Can only answer for myself, obviously, but the audiologist at House suggested that I go with the Intenso since my hearing in my non-AN ear isn't absolutely perfect (combination of aging and genetics!). I took the audiologist's advice without a moment's hesitation. It's interesting that you're (apparently) being asked to make the decision between the two processors yourself; I would imagine that the audiologist/doctor will express an opinion. In addition to being a bit more powerful, the Intenso does not have a directional microphone (I think that's because it isn't viewed as being all that useful on the Divino ... but Divino users may feel differently); it's also a little larger, but I've had no problem concealing it with my (short) hair style. Best wishes as you reach your decision.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

lori67

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:04:38 pm »
Hi Greg.

I didn't make the decision - it was made for me by my audiologist.  I had to have a hearing test done and since it was determined that the hearing in my good ear was normal, I didn't need the Intenso.  I have the Divino and I do like the directional microphone feature.  It helps to block out a lot of background noise for me so I can hear the person in front of or directly to the right of me.  I find that if I use the regular setting in certain situations, it makes it harder to hear anything - for example, I was trying to talk to someone in a parking lot once and all I could here without switching to the directional setting was the traffic on the street behind me.

So, I guess it basically will come down to how good the hearing is in your working ear.

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:12:49 am »
Greg -

my neurotologist and I made the decision together.  He felt the Divino was a good choice, since I have normal hearing in my non-AN ear, but said it was up to me.  I figured he knew best, so I went with his suggestion and it turned out to be the right choice for me.

We also discussed the fact that as I age and potentially lose some of the normal hearing in my non-AN ear I may decide to switch to an Intenso.

Like, Lori, I like the directional microphone in the Divino and have found it very useful - especially at work where it comes in very handy when I'm in meetings.

I've never heard of a patient being able to try both processors post op and then deciding.  Cool idea  8)

Let us know which one you choose.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22:57 pm »
Thanks Catherine, Lori & Jan for your responses.  You feel like "old friends" since I've been reading many of your posts on all the diff topics .... ANs, baha, tinnitus .... from months past.

Here's the thing about choosing Divino or Intenso when baha implant is ready for the processor post-op.  I've been working w/ an audiologist since AN surgery in '04.  Have had wireless cros HA's and even got fitted for transear (not powerful enuf).  That company thought Intenso would be right for me, so I've been using a tester for couple weeks now.  Last week I spoke with audiologist at U of MD med ctr, who told me of their policy of patients trying both D & I test units before opening the box that had actually been ordered, which could easily be returned before opening. 

I'll ask my aud'gist about that possibility, especially since the Divino has the directional microphone feature .... I'm really curious about that feature, as opposed to the Intenso having more power.  Lori, what you mention about hearing everything behind you is just what I experienced with cros.  Very sensitive ..... but still I was unable to hear someone directly  in front or on my deaf side in noisy places.  And Jan, your comment about changing to the Intenso later is good info too.

Anyway I'll pursue this idea with my aud'gist and let ya all know.

Catherine, thanks for reminding me of the possibility of hiding the baha under my hair .... if I decide to go back to what I had in college ... hahaha!

Keep smiling ..... Greg
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:38:07 pm »
Greg -

thanks for the compliment - I'm glad you see all of us as "old friends"  ;D

You might want to PM Mike (mikjul1) if you get a chance.  He lives in Maryland and just had BAHA surgery yesterday.

His hearing loss isn't AN related, but he's been SSD for over 27 years and he's had a Cros, a TransEar, and something else (I can't recall what).

IMO he'd be a very good source of information for you.  I think he's going with the Divino and I'm sure he'd more than willng to tell you how and why he made the choice he did.

Jan  ;D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:40:14 pm »
Hi Greg,
Nice to 'meet you.' I'm interested in the BAHA as well. I'm about 3 months post op (translab) and want to wait a few more months. I never knew there was a choice of BAHA's. I went to the Univ of MD in Baltimore for my surgery with Dr. Eisenberg. He would do my BAHA surger as well. Who is your doctor there (if you don't mind my asking)?  I wish you well as you decide and have the procedure perfomed.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

grega

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 08:22:08 am »
Hi Jan & Keri .... nice to hear from you!

Thanks Jan .... I've corresponded several times with Mike off-forum (correct term?).  Actually, when I first saw his post that he was about to have surgery, I immediately thought it was for AN .... and didn't expect an answer for at least a week.  To my surprise, he answered same day!  Yes, he has been helpful answering questions about BAHA.

And Keri ..... David Eisenman would be  the doc at U of MD if I decide to go there for BAHA.  My only BAHA conversation with UMD has been by phone with an aud'gist.  When you decide if BAHA might be for you, be sure to ask about what they told me is offered .... trying both post-op before buying.  Here's hoping you heal real fast!

Greg

Keri

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 08:40:53 pm »
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the info. I don't know why I said Dr. Eisenberg; I meant Dr. Eisenman. They both did my surgery and it is a little confusing to have their names so similar!
I think I'm going to wait until late October. Right now I don't want another surgery. As the fall gets closer I'll be marathon training for the run in Baltimore and won't want to have anything done that may possibly impede my already not so fast time!

Keep us posted on your progress - wish you the best in this process!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!