Author Topic: first drive post op  (Read 1918 times)

tenai98

first drive post op
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:04:47 am »
Well I was brave enough to take the car for a spin. It was just in my driveway whiich is 1/4 mile long in a field.  I managed to back up no problem as well as check mirror sequences,  As a hard nose driving instructor, I felt I did well 2.5 weeks post op.  I feel I can handle the small town where I live but no the bigger cities...ANd I wont drive on any roadway without doc's permission...I was told not to drive while on meds which I'm not....This neurosureon wont give green light to drive until he assess at 6weeks. I will have my boss and son ( who is a driving instructor as well) assess me. I feel they would be more qualified to judge my driving skills.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: first drive post op
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 12:19:14 pm »
I've been driving since 12 days post-op.  I'm hitting the highway on Sunday for an hour and a half all by myself, so watch out!  But then I had and have little or no balance issues pre or post-op.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:01:47 pm »
I drove at about 2.5 weeks post-op for a test and now two times since then.  I do ok but I feel more comfortable in the passenger seat.  I do fine but when looking from left to right at corners I am slow to keep from getting blurry.  Good thing the kids don't have a lot of activities right now!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 01:06:59 pm »
I started driving 2 weeks post-op. I was cautious but did not have any problem. I had minor balance issues turning while walking during those 2 weeks but found it not to cause any problem while driving.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 03:29:01 pm »
JO ~

Like Neal, I resumed driving at barely 2 weeks post-op, after getting my neurosurgeon's permission.  It wasn't too bad on the highway.  I believe you have to push yourself to surmount any deficits and regain normalcy, although I wouldn't have considered driving without my doctor's approval.  Before he gave me permission to drive again, he gave me balance tests in his office -  and I passed.  I had my wife with me the first few times I drove, just as a precaution.  Still, I admire your accomplishment and your caution.  We all heal differently and as we like to state: "it's not a race".  I think you're doing great, Jo.  Thanks for the 'progress report'.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:13:59 pm »
Dang! Good for you! I tried driving at 4 weeks post-op, but felt much more comfortable at 6 weeks after visiting a Vestibular PT and doing that for a week. I was probably over-cautious, but that's ok.

GO JO!     GO JO!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:16:10 pm by Dog Lover »
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 03:20:19 am »
Congratulations on jumping one hurdle and getting behind the wheel

I don't remember how far out I was when I drove  ??? ... about 2 weeks  I think ... my first night drive
was scary and interesting ...but made it home in one piece and there has been no turning back ... I do
remember that my down time not able to get in my truck and go was torture ... I hated waiting for someone
to come take me where I needed to go ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery