Author Topic: Back from Pre op  (Read 1963 times)

cjtender

• My blog
Back from Pre op
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:04:48 pm »
I went in Monday to meet Dr. Gutin---let me just say that he is very nice down to earth surgeon who gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.....so we are still on for next week....I have to go for another MRI before the surgery since it has been six weeks from the last one and he is big on brain mapping.....oh and they asked if I wanted a semi private room that my insurance covers or a private room that would be an extra "five thirty" a night....to which I replied "five dollars and thirty cents I will take two rooms" and the lady replied "five hundred and thiry dollar" and then we both laughed and I opted for the semi
Patty  34 , RN ,  Dx with 3x2cm (plum grape) size AN on 3/6/2009 and ALL  removed-- retosigmoid on 4/28/09 with Selesnick/Gutin at SLoan Kettering in NYC

jazzfunkanne

Re: Back from Pre op
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:09:57 am »
best wishes for next weekx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:26:38 am »
Patty ~

Thanks for the update.  The pre-op work is a bit tedious but necessary.  A pre-surgery MRI is always a good idea - my surgeon ordered one, too.  That you feel comfortable with your doctor is important.  You'll need that kind of confidence as you approach the Big Day (April 28th).  The hospital room charges are almost laughable.  My 4 days in ICU cost Blue Cross $5,500. per day!  Even the semi-private room was no bargain at almost $3,300. per day + meds, etc.  I know the hospitals have to compensate for low Medicare reimbursements and the cost of treating indigent patients but when you see these charges, you can understand why we pay so much for medical insurance.  My total hospital bill came to $60,000. - for barely 5 days!  My (adult) son commented that "at these (hospital room) prices I could have stayed in a five-star hotel"  He was kidding - but he was also correct.

Well enough ranting about hospital room charges.  Just know that you have many folks thinking of and praying for you, especially next Tuesday.  Stay strong.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:34:26 am »
Sounds like you are right on track Patty.
Are you a nurse?
And Lisa, the picture of you and your son(?) is adorable.
Keep us posted, Patty.
And good luck with pre-op.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:53:00 am »
 had a private room over looking the water, very relaxing...Was in there 3 weeks before surgery, I got the emergency Medicaid and didnt pay one penny...The night before they put these metal sticky things on my head lol, so uncomfy to sleep pfffft

Ok enough of my babbling

We all wish you the best!

Lisa

P.S. (daughter mot son lol she has longer hair now) lol

A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:44:53 pm »
Hi Patty,

So glad you are comfortable with your doctor.  As Jim already said, it is very important that you have confidence in your choice of surgeon.

My pre-op appointment was the day before my surgery, so I didn't have much time to get nervous between pre-op day and op day.  I hope you are doing ok.  I remember that the waiting was the hardest part :).

I was only in ICU for 1 night, then I went straight home.  My total bill was over $80,000 dollars!  Thank goodness for BCBS :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:40:10 pm »
My total hospital bill was $160,000, of which the insurance paid $49,000 by agreement. (I think it has cost me around $1000 altogether)  I don't get why they charge so much knowing the insurance companies are going to discount it tremendously.

Good luck with your surgery!!  And good luck with your roomate in your semi-private room.  LOL

Vonda

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:38:29 pm »
Vonda -- my question too.  The bills from House and St Vincents were enormous.  But when insurance negotiated it -- it turned out to be a small fraction of what they billed.  Maybe it's like buying a car -- instead we're just negotiating brain surgery.  I actually ended up paying nothing but a few co-pays related to the surgery.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:40:37 pm »
Dear Patty,
Wishing you the very best on your upcoming surgery and your recovery.  I am especially glad that your physician gives you that warm fuzzy...that is a very important "gut" thing to us females, I believe.  That warm fuzzy means much more than it sounds, doesn't it!?  
Sending virtual hugs to you,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

cjtender

• My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:04:40 pm »
Moe- yes I am a Registered Nurse
Patty  34 , RN ,  Dx with 3x2cm (plum grape) size AN on 3/6/2009 and ALL  removed-- retosigmoid on 4/28/09 with Selesnick/Gutin at SLoan Kettering in NYC

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 10:28:17 pm »
Good luck on the 28th, Patty.

Confidence in your doctor(s) is definitely an asset.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 04:38:55 am »
Maybe it's like buying a car -- instead we're just negotiating brain surgery. 

Patty,   My thoughts and prayers are with your for your upcoming surgery. 
I am SO happy for you and your confidence in the surgeon, this has to be comforting! 
Take care and please have someone update the Forum.

Sincerely,
Sue

PS David - Negotiating brain surgery, what an idea!  OMGosh!
(sorry for the hijack, Patty.)
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

bell

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:39:40 am »
Patty,
 Good luck with surgery.  I was at Mayo, MN and I paid $50 extra for a private room. Was in for 6 nights.  I am glad I was in private, but I do not think the floor was really busy so I might have had private anyways, but am grateful to pay the extra for a piece of mind.  I slept most of the time anyways.  Have help after surgery, with meals and care. Will keep you in thoughts and prayers.  Bell