Author Topic: BZZZT sound in deaf ear  (Read 2674 times)

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
BZZZT sound in deaf ear
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:20:33 pm »
Hi guys,

Today I was taking a nap and laying on my AN side, which is now SSD. As I was waking up, there was a repetitive BZZZT sound in my ear. I would say that I felt a slight buzzing feeling, but it was more just a sound. I remember that this also happened twice before I had surgery when I laid on that side also.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any explanations?

Thanks,
Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

Dfcman

Re: BZZZT sound in deaf ear
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:08:39 am »
Kim,

Hi.  I too have experienced this.  Its very seldom.  Like once every six months.  The first time I thought there was a bee near my ear.  It was really strange and it sometimes makes me cringe.  I too am awaiting an explanation on this.  I thought it may have been my hearing coming back but that is a long shot.  I'm almost 3 years post op and i'm pretty sure I will be permanently ssd.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:30:38 am »
i get this also, i was told it could be a build up of cattah (but who knows)
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Patti

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:34:26 am »
i get it too, occassionally.  it really does sound like a bumble bee.  i have no idea why it happens.  although with all my other weird nerve twitches i was told anything can happen like this when a nerve is damaged or dead.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 03:17:26 pm »
Thanks, as long as I'm not the only one, I guess it's ok :)

Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

Keri

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »
Hi Kim,

I too get some weird noises. The way my hearing (or non hearing) is seems to still be evolving at this point. I guess it's not, since I'm most definitely SSD, but the way things sound just always seems to be chaging a bit. Maybe it's just different environments. I'm sorry you're SSD - I wasn't sure after talking to you last if some of your hearing was preserved.
Hope everything else is going well for you! Any more races in the future for your husband? (tell him the Baltimore 10 miler in June is MUCH warmer!)
I'm up in the Boston area (Gary doing marathon tomorrow + AN luncheon in Worcester, MA) and a couple of people were asking about you when I mentioned that I'm from the DC area.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:45:52 pm »
Hi Kim
It took me a year to figure this one out -- or at least get an answer.  For the year after my surgery, I've been awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of a whooosh thump.  I thought it was my upsatairs neighbors until I moved to the top floor of my building and it was still happening.  So I asked my doctor -- he said it's natural for a newly SSD.  The brain is making up sounds.  Maybe that's what you're dealing with.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 06:17:46 am »
Yes, I too get weird sonds in my SSD ear, usually at night as I am falling asleep or in the morning as I am waking up. Swish-boom and click-click-click are two of the most common but there are others as well.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

kwalker

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:42 am »
hi, i'm new to this site and found a wealth of info---now i know a lot of things i've been experiencing since surgery isn't just my imagination.
i hear different tones all the time. mainly i hear what sounds like a hearing test--all the different tones, but most of the time i can ignore it unless i'm trying to sleep.
Do any of you smell things that arent' there? like cigarrette smoke?

JB914

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 10:21:50 pm »
i get this some times too.  like a beeping sound in my deaf ear.  sometimes i suspect it's a really bad song trying to escape from my head!!   :D
11mm AN right side surgery House Ear Clinic 12/00
W. Luxford MD / John D. Day MD
SSD right side, ringing

klangel

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 04:16:28 pm »
oh yes! i have the buzz most of the time as well as the downed electric wire, the hamster wheel the whoosh and whir, the siren, the squeeky bicycle and about 20 more sounds. usually 3 or more at once and all randomly changing. ive counted 27 separate sounds that come and go but there is never just quiet. it is definitely the most maddening thing out of all the lousy things that i have as a result of this surgery. my sounds and pressures wake me anywhere from 6 to 19 times a night and i havent slept thru one night since surgery 4 years ago on june 1. i put my sounds into categories, some i call my friendly sounds and others defy description and actually can knock me right down or make it so i cant get out of my bed without a walker. had a bout in feb of last year that lasted 2 weeks. the sound/pressure would happen sooo bad when i even moved my eyeballs at all. even the doc never heard of it being this bad. i see my cranial nerves as being a jumbled tangled pile of wires. apparently they were all damaged because there are just so many issues but this one takes the cake!feel lucky that its
only an occasional buzz. it is really hard to live in a head that has no peace.    kerri