Author Topic: re audiologist's BAHA experience  (Read 3891 times)

grega

re audiologist's BAHA experience
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:41:27 pm »
Hi all,

Just a question for any of you that have, or will get baha.  How important do you think it is for your audiologist to have had experience with baha patients?  The ent doc I've seen has done several baha surgeries, but the audiologist I've seen since 2004 for SSD and other hearing devices has not worked with the processor or any baha patients.

Is this a factor in deciding if I should seek an experienced audiologist?

Thanks ...... Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

JerseyGirl2

Re: re audiologist's BAHA experience
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:21:18 pm »
Hi, Greg,

I would try to find an audiologist with BAHA experience ... and I speak from experience!

The audiologist I went to first for my processor "fitting" was unfamiliar with the device (I had my BAHA implant surgery at House in L.A. and obtained the processor through their audiology department as well, so I was on my own here in New Jersey); she arranged for the regional BAHA representative to come to my appointment, and actually met with the rep ahead of time to go over things.

I felt like a bit of a guinea pig as several other audiologists, none of whom had seen a BAHA, came to watch us attach the processor. I was a little surprised that they didn't have any other BAHA patients in the practice (attached to my local otolaryngologist's office -- which is quite a large practice), but figured maybe everyone goes to New York instead? I have since come to the realization that there just aren't that many BAHA users around here -- and I'm talking New Jersey here ... not exactly the middle of nowhere!! I liked the audiologist, but she was pretty much, "well you've got it now, and you should be fine; call me if you have any problems." She didn't seem particularly interested in doing much follow-up, which struck me as odd.

At any rate, I've since located, thanks to an ANA-NJ meeting, another audiologist in my county who does have several other BAHA patients (two other House AN surgery alumni and one child who has a physical congential auditory challenge) and who is quite interested in the device. I've had one appointment with him and am going back again next week -- he wants me to try a variety of settings on my Intenso and is a proponent of musician-type earplugs for really noisy environments. I didn't have any complaints about my BAHA -- just wanted to make sure that I'm using it to the best advantage, and I think I'm going to enjoy working with him.

Sorry for the long story, but I would certainly recommend locating an experienced BAHA audiologist if possible ... or at least one who is enthusiastic about the device and eager to learn.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:21:30 pm »
Hi, Greg.

Catherine was some wonderful points. 

I don't know how much experience the audiologist who "fitted" my processor had, but she definitely knew all about the Divino.

That said, I haven't found any reason to contact her since my processor was "fitted" - a little over a year ago.  So in my case, while her experience was great, going forward I'm not sure it's really relevant to me.

However, like Catherine said, at the very least I'd make sure the audiologist is enthusiastic and eager to learn.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:41:00 am »
Thanks Catherine & Jan for your responses .... good points, specially re that very important enthusiasm factor! 

Haven't fully decided on whether divino or intenso, or on a surgery date ..... will probably wait till early Fall, so as not to miss swimming season (not getting head wet).  I've lived with SSD for 4+1/2 yrs and have adapted well, so summer activities are important.  But I'll ask baha surgeon the time period for keeping head dry.

Stay well ... and keep  ;D-ing !

Greg

BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Trackman

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:26:51 am »
Greg

I started swimming 4 weeks  BAHA post op. 4/17/09. No problems.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:15:59 am »
Hi Greg,
What did you decide to do about doctors or are you just going to wait until fall? Can you go back to Hopkins? I live in Silver Spring, but I was going to go back to my neurosurgeon at University of MD in Baltimore. My husband's job just changed insurance so I hope that won't mess it all up. I'm going to wait too - have a marathon in the fall. I may have it when I'm about 1 yr post op.
We will both have to remember to put in a request for the care package from the BAHA ladies!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

grega

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:30:53 am »
Thanks for the reminder, Keri .... about the baha care pkg.  I saw references to it several times, but didn't dare ask.  But I am intrigued  8)  ???   8)

Still have the Intenso tester ..... sounds like something from a Flash Gordon episode .... err, make that a Star Wars movie ....

.... I'm gonna wait till late summer or early fall for the surgery.  I could very well go back to JHH, or even to UMMC, but Entaa Care does the baha surgery at Anne Arundel Med Ctr in Annapolis ... nice and close.

Good luck in the marathon!   ;D
Greg

Trackman

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:05:43 pm »
Just got my BAHA yesterday, 5/20/09 works great. My Dr. only waited 5 weeks to install the device. I need to become re-accustom to some sounds. Like doors closing and wind blowing across the BAHA. It was to noisy in Applebee’s for dinner so I turned it off. But no problems today in school with my students, still no directional help.

Mitch

grega

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 12:38:21 pm »
Hi Mitch .... wow, 5 weeks post op!  Less than half the time that everyone else has  mentioned.  Sounds as if you had no problems whatsoever.   Which processor .... Intenso or Divino? 

Thanks,
Greg

Trackman

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 07:44:56 am »
Intenso............Dr. said still having some swelling............I may need a longer screw but he will wait a month until my next appointment. I guess it is an office thing with a speacial screw driver.

Mitch

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 05:32:36 pm »
Wow, Mitch!  Five weeks - that was fast.  Congratulations on your BAHA Gotcha Day.  Did anyone think to put it on the calendar?

All docs are different, but mine goes by the 90 day rule - the way he explained it to me, he didn't want me to encounter "torque".  Long story, that  ::)

There are things with screw drivers involved that can be done at the doctor's office.  I have a screw from my AN surgery very close to the surface of the skin on my BAHA site, and was told that if it ever completely popped through, it could be taken out very easily with a screw driver.  Go figure  ;D

Greg, you - and Keri - definitely want to take advantage of Lori and my BAHA recovery kits.  Afterall, not much in life is free  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 07:35:36 pm »
Mitch ... best to ya re the swelling.

Jan, no hints please re your baha recovery kit .... a surprise gift can be one of life's delights.

Have a safe holiday!
Greg