Author Topic: Another 1 year post-GK update  (Read 2835 times)

mk

Another 1 year post-GK update
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:49:47 pm »
I noticed there are quite a few people coming up for their one year post-treatment anniversaries. Since I am one of them, I thought I would post my update. Most here probably know my story, but for the newbies, I had GK in April 2008 for a rather large (2.5-3 cm depending on who reads it) right sided, mostly asymptomatic AN.

I now have gathered all the information (MRI and audiology reports) from my one year follow-up tests, visited the GK centre and here is the detailed update.

- AN is stable, there is a lot of darkening at the centre. There are no signs of edema. The radiologist report mentions a "more nodular appearing peripheral enhancement"; I asked the radiation oncologist but he said this is irrelevant. Anyone have any ideas what this might mean?  ???.

- Hearing is unchanged from prior to GK, actually the hearing threshold level has decreased a bit (meaning getting better), from 40 db to 30 db at the lowest frequency and 20 db at higher frequencies. Speech discrimination is 100%.

- Radiation oncologist made me do some tests: standing on tip toes, holding arms straight ahead with close and open eyes etc. I don't really know what these mean, obviously checking balance (again, anyone? - I have never done an "official" balance test). Overall he was very pleased by the MRI results and the absence of side-effects.

- Overall I consider myself very fortunate that up to now I have avoided swelling, fatigue and the other common symptoms (and that I have found this forum  ;D). The doctor said that for now we should continue on the 6 month MRI schedule, which works for me since I feel more confortable monitoring this thing closely.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Another 1 year post-GK update
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:58:55 pm »
Hi Marianna,

Always good to hear a complete success story!

I have no idea what report meant by a more nodular appearing peripheral enhancement, but if the docs aren't worried, then you shouldn't be either.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:09:55 pm »
Hi Marianna,

So glad to hear everything went well. I wouldn't worry about the comment that the Dr. made. It sounds more like the radiation did what it's suppose to do. It's sounds like the growth may be shrinking which is a good sign. Keep well.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Keeping Up

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:02:06 pm »
Yeah Marianna

As a newbie, it is wonderful to hear updates with such positive outcomes. 

I think many here will know my references about Trish (Calimama) as I live very close to her - and meeting Trish and Cali has been very helpful.  My ENT works within the same practice as her ENT and same hospital network which gives me confidence about the decisions being made - even if the decisions are on a different scale due to the size of the tumors  (mine tiny - Trish's not so much!)

I also got a chance to meet Marianna when she was in Toronto for her follow-up consult earlier this week.  Again, should I need treatment (I am watch/wait and been told I may wait many years for any treatment due to size/location - and I am running strong with that theory), and should I choose  GK, I would be within the same practice as MK's GK treatment.

To meet and know others in a similar situation and see successful outcomes has been a tremendous amount of encouragement for me and helped with that nagging anxiety bug of 'what-if' scenarios. I am very comfortable that which ever path I choose, post-AN life can be absolutely awesome.

Ann

PS -don'tmind the lack ofspaces, one of the children took out the space bar- uuugh!

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:35:00 pm »

- Radiation oncologist made me do some tests: standing on tip toes, holding arms straight ahead with close and open eyes etc. I don't really know what these mean, obviously checking balance (again, anyone? - I have never done an "official" balance test). Overall he was very pleased by the MRI results and the absence of side-effects.

Marianna, as you surmised, these are simple balance tests. Sometimes patients aren't aware their balance has been compromised by their AN. These tests basically indicate if you're having problems. It gives your doctor a quick check -- without using any sophisticated and costly equipment or procedures -- of how your balance function is doing.

That's really terrific that you're not having any swelling, your speech threshold has improved, and you are largely asymptomatic. I'm very happy for you! Your update should be very encouraging to those in W+W who are considering having GK treatment. And considering that you're doing so well, it's also admirable that you still maintain a presence on this forum, dispensing knowledge, advice and consolation. Some people come here only for help. Thank you for helping others.

Best wishes,
TW

L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 10:02:37 am »
The radiologist report mentions a "more nodular appearing peripheral enhancement"; I asked the radiation oncologist but he said this is irrelevant. Anyone have any ideas what this might mean?  ???.

Since you have such a great 1 year report, and congratulations on that, I will make irrelevant remarks about this little tidbit.  ;D

I interpret "peripheral enhancement" to mean the border of the tumor. Being "more nodular" would mean being "less smooth", suggesting that the tumor is starting to cave in or clump up. I have never heard of anyone being urged toward immediate treatment because their tumor is starting to become nodular. Of course I am just making it up, but I think an increase in nodularity is probably a good thing. ;)

It actually is great to hear that even with a large-for-radiation AN, your GK treatment has worked out so well. Knock on wood, and I hope to hear more of the same next time.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:50:57 pm »
Thank you all for your comments.
Steve I like the interesting explanation  ;). I will take "caving in" and "clumping up" happily. The doctor said that it is important that the borders are very well defined. The centre shows necrosis first, because it receives the highest radiation dose (with GK twice as much as the borders).

Tumbleweed, thanks for your kind words. I have been hanging around offering whatever insights I can and trying to put all the research I have done to good use  8). But I also find other peoples' posts deeply informative (I have learned so many things from your posts), not to say that this forum acts as a form of "group therapy" for me, and it is a source of new friends. We are in this for the long haul and we all know that one positive MRI is not the end of the story when dealing with an AN. Having support and as much knowledge as possible is important. I wish you all the best for your one year post-CK MRI, and hopefully the suspected hypoglossal tumor will remain unchanged forever, or better yet prove to be nothing at all.

Ann, as Trish's story shows, if someone can have major brain surgery and then go on and have a healthy pregnancy with twins only a few months afterwards, then certainly life does go back to normal post-AN treatment (albeit busier!). And you are right that it is conforting to know that you have access to a good network of physicians and hospitals who know their job well. Hopefully you will escape the need for treatment altogether  ;)

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

suboo73

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 07:01:48 pm »
Marianna, 

Great news for you, congratulations!
I am so happy your 1 year follow-up results are so positive.   ;D

I look forward to your updates in future months - it really does help those of us in W & Wait mode.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:43:03 pm »
Marianna

how the heck did I miss this!?!?! Shame on me! :(

I am SOOOO thrilled for you and this update! Most impressive.. and you KNOW I send continued wellness wishes to you!  FAB news!

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 01:39:47 pm »
Marianna ~

I saw your post a few days ago but ran out of time to respond.  Now I can reply.  Congratulations!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.