Author Topic: Question about ability to taste  (Read 3062 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Question about ability to taste
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 03:10:49 pm »
DLM,
I've been to the dentist a couple of times and I was not looking forward to it for obvious reasons.  Just today I received a crown for a molar on the non-AN side because I'm chewing on that side way too much.  I'm trying to remind myself to chew on the other side but the numbness makes it a real adventure.  When they had to novocaine the side that isn't numb I was almost unable to speak for a couple of hours until it wore off.  I didn't realize until then how much work the left side was doing to help the right!  In any event, when it's time, go to the dentist, it's very important. 

As far as the numbness goes, at almost 10 months I've gotten used to it, though some feeling is beginning to return.  It's amazing what we can learn to live with!

Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

chocolatetruffle

Re: Question about ability to taste
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20:19 pm »
yep!  after my surgery, my left side tongue was numb and i was extra sensitive to salt and sugar.  Everything tasted either very salty or very sweet, which is good as it helped moderated my salt and sugar intake!  After about 5-6 months, the numbness went away and i am back to normal.   so hang in there  ;)
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan