Author Topic: Feeling Stranger  (Read 2444 times)

Katja

Feeling Stranger
« on: March 05, 2006, 03:12:40 pm »
Is anybody feeling like alien among plenty of people? When there is too many people and noices coming from everywhere I loose all my hearing. I had 3.5cm tumor removed from right ear loosing my hearing. But when in room with noice I can only pick big noice and I cannot hear people talking. And that makes me feel I wanna leave at that second :'( I had my operation June 04, almost two years ago.
3.5cm tumor right side. Oper. Jun04 lost hearing, CSF leak oper. Sep04 & Mar05. :-*

Battyp

Re: Feeling Stranger
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 03:16:02 pm »
Katja you are not alone I assure you!  I'm suppose to meet a gf for a benefit at a bar and I'm soooo procrastinating.  She doesn't understand. I don't want to pay 5.00 to walk in and be miserable.  Not to mention the parking their sucks and I don't want to deal with that either  lol  I like calm and quiet now

luv2teachsped

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 04:10:05 pm »
Hi Katja:  You are definitely NOT alone!  Big noisy places are a real pain.  I much prefer small groups and quiet places.  I just went and saw my first movie since my AN op.  Chronicles of Narnia was great, however I had a hard time hearing the low voices, as I have lost some of that ability in my good ear.  I had read the book and hopefully didn't miss too much.   Very frustrating!  Maybe we need more"places" for just ANers!  You know, quiet, seperate little rooms, .....Ha  ::)luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 06:26:26 pm »
Hey teach...about the only source of entertainment I've had lately is movies...people are so rude to talk during a movie as it prevents me from hearing it.  At the theaters here you can get headsets to listen to the movies it helps block out the outside noises. 

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 06:39:22 pm »
I went out for lunch today for my MIL's birthday with a large group of people.  I was thinking that I felt deaf yet I could still hear.  But not everything.  Apparently someone with our group was repeating the same story over a couple of times.  I didn't even hear it once.  lol  I guess being half deaf does have some advantages.  I do prefer smaller groups though.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 08:03:55 pm »
Yes wit large crowds I only pick up words here and there. Sometimes I can string them together other times I just tune them out.  Hey if guys can have selective hearing why can't I?  lol

matti

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 09:29:54 pm »
I just got home from celebrating my son's 20th birthday. Went out to dinner and as hard as I try to position myself in just the right spot, I still miss half the dinner conversation. Get tired of having to work so hard at social functions, it can be exhausting sometimes.

Cheers to smaller groups and no back ground music  ;D

A couple of years ago, I contacted my local newspaper regarding their restraunt review section and asked them to please add noise level to the list. They agreed and it has been a great help.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50