Author Topic: RUNNING NOSE  (Read 4273 times)

Micky

RUNNING NOSE
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:36:36 pm »
Hello all

Question for all you smart people. I get a runny nose when eating only on my AN side, for a while it's has been ok but now is starting to bug me.

I have read somewhere you can get nose spray to help? even if its just sometimes (when going out to tea) I have not yet seen the doctor about it dont think its a concern?

I would love some suggestions on brands ect ( I live in Australia)

Cheers in advance
Micky
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: RUNNING NOSE
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:41:19 am »
Micky,
Can't help with the running nose.  I only have a watering eye when I eat, AN side only.
I'm sure someone here can help though, there are so many good people with so much experience.

Tschüs
Dan in Germany 
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16:47 am »
Hey, Mickey!  Boy, would I like to know if there's a magic spray or some such thing for nose running while eating syndrome...I think I mentioned to you before when you brought this up, that my nose runs and eye tears on my Bell's Palsy side when I eat - not the AN side, though.  It's been doing so for about 19 years...would love to have a solution for it!  I've never thought to ask a doctor or anyone about it - thanks for being proactive.  Now, let's hope someone has the answer for us!

Hang in there,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:17:50 am »
Cindy,    I think some drugs may help.       I also put up with it and is very annoying.     I sometimes take an anti spasmodic for irritable bowel and it does it less when take it I have noticed.         I heard someone mention a spray once but now don't know what it was.          My dr gave me a sample of a drug for over active bladder and that med made me so dry.    Such a dry mouth that could barely eat or talk.          I gave that up and glad it wasn't one I had spent money for.      All those tv commercials for it are a bit deceiving!         Tell your dr about it and he may be able to help.               Anti-cholinergics are a drying type but would have to look up what they are all as since am retired, am out of practice of some things.
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:22:43 pm »
I'm so glad you asked this!  I've had a runny/drippy nose for years and while it let up for a while after my surgery it is now starting to come back.  I am very interested in the histimine blocker Donnalyn!  Do you find that it causes a faster heartbeat?  I can't take things like claritin or sudafed, although those are "anti" histimines so maybe not.  I am going to talk to my pharmacist about that, I would love a solution.  Benedryl is also over the counter here. Thanks!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

postie

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:18:10 am »
I've had the same problem since post op. My ENT hasn't suggested anything to help the running eye and nose when eating. I'm heading back tomorrow for a check up I'll ask again to see what he recommends. It is so annoying especially if out with new people, they must think I have a napkin fetish LOL

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:23:11 am »
It is so annoying especially if out with new people, they must think I have a napkin fetish LOL

That is so funny that you mention the napkins...I go through so many napkins when I'm eating out...my husband loves to make fun of how many napkins I use!

Donnalynn (hey, how are you doing???), thanks for the Benadryl idea...I'll try it.  Don't think it has ever made me sleepy...I drink enough caffeine to counteract it, at any rate.

Isn't it interesting that the runny eye and nose seems to mainly happen while eating?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JudyT

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:39:37 am »
Histamines.....Last nite I had a glass of wine...almost immediately....my head felt pressure, nose "slammed" shut and I felt out of balance and anxious. It was a very good wine and I have drank it in the past....no problems. I don't drink wine often but am cautious about histamines. This time the wine didn't taste good to me and was darker in color....could it have been the wine? This morning I feel much better but pressure remains. Trying to figure this one out.........like I don't have enough issues already! 4 years out from CK and have experienced many different situations.
Judy

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:59:00 am »
I have had surgery on both sides and get a variety of  the runny nose or eye.        My rt eye tears when taking a too hot bath.       The rt is more of the problem when can be active and warm and it runs.        The eating one is on the left but had problem on the rt at one time.    I like pants with pockets so make sure to have some some Puffs in it.  I always have to have a good supply in my purse.        There are 3 boxes sitting around in the house.                I need to take out stock in it.     
                                                       Cheryl R 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 09:45:55 pm »
Just FYI:
I found that I always need extra napkins...places with CLOTH napkins usually have smaller beverage PAPER napkins and I just ask for a stack of those instead of another cloth one.  It is much less conspicuous on the table (cloth one in lap) and I think easier to use!  Just thought I would share... ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Micky

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 03:21:05 am »
Thanks all for your responses. I am seeing my ENT soon so i will run a few suggestions by him.

Cheers Micky                 ;)
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

Trackman

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 12:20:52 pm »
I have both watery eyes and running nose while eating. My Dr. explained to me that now that the hearing and balance nerve have been removed, the facial nerve and the saliva gland are now near each other. So when you eat the saliva gland simulates the facial nerve forming tears, the tears run into the nose and out. He said once you get the tears you will always have them. This all started about 8 weeks after my surgery; Dr said a sign of the nerves have healed. He called them “Crocodile Tears�.

Mitch