Author Topic: Meningitis vaccine?  (Read 2368 times)

arcteryx

Meningitis vaccine?
« on: March 20, 2006, 12:56:23 am »
I've read that there is a meningitis vaccine which protects against 4 different strains with 90% efficacy. It seems to make sense that if you're planning surgery in the next months to years that such a vaccine could be very useful.

Anybody ever heard that this vaccine could help prevent post-op complications? Have any of your doctors recommended this?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Meningitis vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:41:03 am »
this is a first.. have no clue on this.. where did you hear of this info?  I know there have been recent cases of bacterial meningitis here in Mass recently (north of here, elementary school).  VERY difficult to catch since it has to be via very close, personal contact (from my understanding).

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wanderer

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:11:56 am »
i'm not sure on this,  but I thought I remember reading that they did not encourage the vaccine for surgical patients.   I can't for remember much more than that.     they do recommend it for college students living in dorms though.

Static

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 02:56:48 pm »
Yes, they do recommend it for college students which is why  my daughter is getting one before she goes away to school later this year.  I heard about those vaccinations a couple of years ago and every winter when there are a few cases of meningitis in the area.  Never heard anything about it regarding surgery patients but my thought would be that it would be recommended by your doctor/surgeon is  it was necessary  :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

arcteryx

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:56:08 pm »
Well, it's a nice idea that doctors would prescribe it if it were useful, but after 5 misdiagnoses my AN was only discovered after I insisted upon an MRI (from what I learned doing my own research). Not to mention the fact that 8 different consultations have resulted in as many different suggested treatment approaches! One thing I've learned through this whole process is that your medical treatment is only as good as you make it. Nobody cares about your health as much as you do.  :o
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:58:01 pm by arcteryx »