Author Topic: Caring for the Scar  (Read 1495 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Caring for the Scar
« on: June 07, 2009, 06:48:35 pm »
Hi All!

It's been a while since I've posted - back to work and very tired when I get home.  All is good though!!  But, after all this time,  I've got a question for those who are post-op:

How do you care for your scar?  I have a monster of one due to the infections and 2nd surgery.  It's closed up (took forever, it seemed!), but now, it is thick, scaley, flaky, yucky.  Very uneven (like the foothills of the Appalachian mountains on a topographical map - see, I do listen to my teacher husband talk about his days at work!).  It's still very sensitive, too, which I think is normal given all its been through. 

Love to hear what might be done to help it along a bit. 

Wishing everyone well,

Kathy

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jill Marie

Re: Caring for the Scar
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:51:21 pm »
Hi Kathy,

For years I have used vitamin E oil on deep cuts to help minimize the scarring and to help them heal.  I take Vitamin E on a daily basis so I always have some around.  The Vitamin E comes in a capsule that I puncture with a pin, squeeze the oil out and rub on the scar.  Hope it works for you, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:02:19 pm »
Hi Kathy~
I had always used vitamin E also and had fairly good results with it.  However, after I had the T3 last spring in Baltimore, Dr. Byrne (who is a plastic surgeon) recommended some stuff called Scar Fade.  It wasn't super expensive but not too cheap either, but you only use a tiny little bit at a time (& this scar is on my face)!  It is SOOOOO awesome.  I can get the contact info if you want but I think vitamin E is a good place to start! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:04:35 pm »
what i did for my scar on my abdomen was put baby lotion and Vaseline intensive care on it all the time. it is visible now yes , but only if i point it out to you.........
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:29:20 am »
I found something called BioOil at the local drug store and used it faithfully on my belly scar - and you almost can't see the scar at all now.  Stuff was amazing!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 06:17:12 pm »
Thanks, Guys!!!
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!