Author Topic: Interesting Link  (Read 2451 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Interesting Link
« on: June 15, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »
A new way to do AN surgeries?  Interesting video..

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1086592

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

jazzfunkanne

Re: Interesting Link
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:46:47 am »
was that video for AN surgery?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 05:50:26 am »
Amazing!  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 06:04:13 am »
Interesting link indeed. I'm glad that computer technology is being used for much more than making first person shooter video games more razzle dazzle.

A couple of thoughts that did bump into brain cells thought.... I'm really glad that the GPS they mentioned isn't actually the GPS system, but only operates similiar to the way the GPS system operates. My GPS will only get down to an accuracy of about 10 feet on a really good day with no obstacles and a goodly number of satellites visible.

It was interesting to hear a neurosurgeon admit that they were never sure they were going in the correct direction. I would have thought that measuring from know landmarks visibible in the MRI would have given them a really good idea about where they were going....but then I'm no brain surgeon.

Maybe Keanu Reeves got it wrong in "The Replacements" when he said, "Chicks dig scars."

..take care... tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 06:07:39 am »
Brian,

A very interesting video.  I personally am hoping that one day they will be able to just beam brain tumors out tranporter style as in Star Trek.  Looks like technology is getting closer to that!   ;)

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 06:59:12 am »
Thank goodness the research facilities are continuing to explore and advance new techniques.  However, I am glad I had a proven method used for my AN surgery.  On the surgery in the video it looked like her tumor was much closer to the exterior of the skull.  ANs are much deeper and closer to the brain stem so I am thinking they will not employ that technique any time soon on AN removal (I am not a doctor so someone may correct me on this!).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:14:08 am »
 I sometimes visit Duke's medical school library.  And they have cases in the hallways that display a collection of early neurosurgical tools, including several handmade head frames with various verniered angle scales, etc, for accurately reaching some part of the brain.  It would be easy to mistake some of them for medieval torture devices.  This video describes a next evolution in the goal to be able to treat some problematic part of the brain accurately with the most minimal impact on surrounding structures.
 Regards,
   Rob
PS:  My favorite new technology for treating brain tumors involves training the body's immune system to attack the tumor cell-- no intrusive treatment required.  This is done by identifying a structure on the surface of the tumor cell that is not found on the normal cells, and then training immune cells with a "vaccination" to attack only the tumor cells.
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:56:02 am »
Wow!!  I think I know where I am going should (God forbid!) my tumor grow back.  That's amazing and comforting to know that real progress is being made-right here in my neck of the woods. :o

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:14:10 am »
This is why I went to Duke!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 02:30:43 pm »
Brian: 

Definitely interesting and encouraging information regarding the likely future of brain surgery.  Thanks for posting it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.