Author Topic: my wacky up and down roller coaster ride of a week  (Read 2133 times)

Keri

my wacky up and down roller coaster ride of a week
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:05:22 am »
I guess at least some of you know I have a son, Scott, shipping out to basic training in the USAF.

Last week, the USAF moved the date up on us by two days (was to check in at a Baltimore hotel Sunday evening then ship out on Monday, yesterday). We had a graduation / goodbye party planned for him Sunday evening that we moved up to Sunday afternoon. I was trying to get ready for all this (end of last week was crazy - he had gotten an ear infection that hadn't quite cleared up but his recruiter said "He can't be on meds or he can't go." But we didn't want him to enter basic with a hurting ear! So we took him to the doctor and begged the doc to give him a shot, since he wouldn't have time to be on a course of antibiotics. This worked, and cleared up his ear infection. In the midst of all this, I had noticed a round rash / bite with a dot on my foot and I started having flu like symptoms and just felt horrible. The good thing was, I call the doc right away, got tested for lyme disease and got on antibiotics immediately.  I felt terrible the F3D (it strikes again!) but am thankfully better now. 

So all this was happening at once and Scott was seeming very reluctant to leave. I emailed Lori a few times, and she was a huge help. Her husband is a recruiter for the Navy and she said that recruits often get 'cold feet' right before going. That helped us feel better. Thanks, Lori!

So Sunday comes and I can't believe he's leaving. He's recognized and prayed for at church, we have the party, he's a bit withdrawn. At 6:00pm my husband says 'It's time to pack' and Scott says, "I'm not going." While we didn't force him into the USAF initially, he signed up months ago and sometimes the 'thrill' wears off or the reality hits or something. We just had to make him stick to the commitment he made. It was probably one of the most painful things I've done as a parent, but if you knew Scott, everyone just KNOWS that this will be good for him and once he gets in that environment he will do great. So Scott had a few hours of painful moving from denial to acceptance and the whole family (including the dog of course) piles in the car to take him to the hotel. He spoke with his recruiter and was better. Finally we handed him over at 9:40pm and said goodbye.

We were to go to Ft. Meade yesterday (Monday) for his swearing in ceremony and send off (final goodbye). I felt he would do it but had my reservations. When we arrived, we saw him with all of the other recruits being processed and doing all the last minute things they do. I knew then he had come to peace with it. He was sworn in with  a group of about 40 recruits and they all stood tall and proud and took the oath to their country. By the time they had the ship out ceremony (imagine the bride and groom running to the car, bus for them, no confetti) they were all smiling and all the families there were clapping and cheering and proud.

We were allowed to go back past security in the airport to hang with him until he got on the plane (they fly commercial, not military). He boarded with his group of AF recruits with no reluctance. We watched him get on the plane then ran up to the observation deck so we could watch his plane pull out and take off (mom needs closure; dad could have left hours ago). As his plane took off I realized, ironically, I was watching him leave from the observation deck where I had brought him so many times as a little boy to play because he loved airplanes so much. Truly a mom boo whoo moment!

Lori's son, RJ, also shipped out to basic training in the Navy this week, just a couple of days before Scott.

Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers!

Thank you!
Keri

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:25:31 am by Keri »
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

Re: my wacky up and down roller coaster ride of a week
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:26:35 am »
Keri~
Hope you are feeling better too - sounds like it was a good sendoff...I know it will be different around your house!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Darlene

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:54:58 am »
Keri,

Bless you, what an incredibly tough week.   

My nephew (20yrs old) just arrived in IRAQ (last night)and I  am pleased to say he has communicated several times in route and although he wants to be back home it is a blessing to be able to know he is safe.  It is not much but it does relieve some of the nervousness. 

My prayers are with all of you, including Lori's son.  May they receive special blessings and protection all of their days. 

Take care,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Keri

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:58:33 pm »
I'll pray for your nephew too. We just had a nephew come back from Iraq. Any idea how long he'll be there?
I'm glad you got to hear from him too.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:39:04 pm »
Keri ~

Thanks for an affecting account of your son's entry into the U.S. Air Force.  Quite an adventure and certainly a milestone event in any parent's life.  Of course your son and all of our military personnel are highly respected by most Americans (this one included.  I wish your boy a great career in his chosen field of service.  I think our military is so much better now that it's all-volunteer.  The men and women serving want to be there.  Our forces serving in Iraq have shown a professionalism and dedication to duty that I believe is intrinsic to our U.S. military personnel.  You can be proud of your son.  :)

Your flirtation with Lyme Disease (named after a town in my state of Connecticut) was scary as that can have long-term ramifications on your health.  I'm very pleased to learn that you had it addressed quickly (good thinking!) and after a few days of discomfort, you're better.

Your son, Scott and all of our military men and women will be in my prayers and those of many others, I'm sure. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:53:36 am »
Thanks for the good wishes everyone!  I appreciate it.  And thanks, Keri, for mentioning RJ in your post!

Things have been exceptionally crazy here lately, which is why I haven't been able to post much - James is living on the ship in Virginia, we still haven't sold our house in TN, trying to get Paige registered for school and find a house in VA, RJ shipping off, 2 sick little ones who miss daddy an awful lot, etc......

My friends here in TN have been doing their best to keep me entertained since James is away, but I have to tell you - I'm exhausted!  But, I'll keep plugging along since I know they just want to make sure I'm taken care of and I appreciate that.

Keri, I hope you're doing better - if you haven't already gotten your "one phone call" (sounds a lot like jail, doesn't it?) from Scott, be prepared to put on your game face - or voice.  RJ, who was so excited to go, spent most of our call telling me how much he hates it there.  I just had to assure him that the first 2 weeks are the worst and it will get better.  It also helped to tell him that my husband James actually cried when he called his parents from boot camp 19 years ago.  He survived and our boys will too.

Everyone have a wonderful  4th of July weekend, Canada Day, whatever day you may be celebrating....   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 10:23:53 am »
Keri and Lori .....

My heart goes out to the two of you ..... I cannot imagine the emotions you must have:  pride, love, fear .... all mixed together.

My prayers for both of you and your sons.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

texsooner

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:09:41 pm »
Keri and Lori,

I know it has to be tough on you moms, but you must be very proud as well. Say thanks to your sons on our behalf. We really appreciate their service, and we'll be praying for their safety.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

epodjn

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:14:11 pm »
Wow Keri,
I could have written that 5 years ago. I think it's extremely common for the boys to have the last minute jitters. My son was so nervous he actually made himself sick and had to take some stomach meds right up until he left, but, like your son, he left. I can tell you from my vantage point now that he will be fine. Since my son joined he has done a year in Iraq and moved up the ladder and is now a Sgt. He just mentioned that he just got two new recruits in his squad and how bad he felt for them because they looked so scared. I'll pray your son gets a Sgt. like my son. He's all tough and business on the outside but a total marshmellow on the inside and really takes care of  his guys. Hang in there. It gets better.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 06:54:30 pm »
Keri... Lori.. and to all those with loved ones serving in our Armed Forces... hugz and wishes for well-being.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"