Author Topic: Post op newbie/ First post  (Read 1744 times)

Joe B

Post op newbie/ First post
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »
Hello all,

First off, I would like to thank all of the members of this site for the information I received that greatly helped me realize what I was about to go through. Although this is my first post and I just became a member today, I have spent several hours on this site reading about what everyone else has been through and what lied ahead for me. The first time I logged onto this site (pre op), I didn't log off until I had read through all 32 pagees of Post op coments and information. I am a 44 year old male with a wife and two children (20 and 17 yrs old). I had never had any health issues or spent any time in a hospital before this and like the rest of you, I was quite traumatized when I was diagnosed.

Anyway this is what my journey was like;

I noticed a hearing loss in my left ear and decided to go have it checked out. After about 3 visits to the ENT and several tests later, I was sent for an MRI. The MRI was performed on 5/13/09 and I returned to the ENT on 5/19/09 for the results. He informed me that I had an acoustic neuroma on my left side, 2.9 cm and I was sent to the Tampa Bay Hearing and balance center the following week. I saw Dr Bartels and Dr Danner there and had more tests done. Dr Bartels decided that due to the size of the tumor it would be best to schedule surgery as soon as possible. From the time of the initial hearing tests to the time of the diagnosis I also started to get headaches, numbness in the left side of my face and mouth, and slight loss of balance.

Surgery was scheduled for June 4, 2009.

On the 3rd of June I headed over to Tampa with my wife and 2 children. My parents also drove down from Mass. (1250 miles) to be there with me. Four friends also took the 2 1/4 hour drive from the east coast of Fla. to pace the waiting room floor with my family. I spent Wednesday the 3rd visiting with doctors and getting registered at the Hospital.

June 4, 2009 it was on. We arrived at the hospital at about 5:30 am to get checked in. The surgery was supposed to start at 7:30 and last 6 hours. Due to a "sticky tumor" the surgery ended up lasting 9 1/2 hours (I felt bad that my family and friends had to spend all that time waiting and wondering). The doctors said that everything went well and they were able to remove the whole tumor. I did lose the hearing on my left side, but we knew going in that it would have to be sacrificed to remove the tumor. They were supposed to set up the BAHA hearing aid while they were "in there", but I was told that they could not do it because the incision was so long. So now I don't know if I want to go through another surgery to get it done. Any comments/experience with the BAHA from anyone?

Anyway, I was taken to the ICU after surgery and spent about 24 hours there. The only thing that I remember about the ICU was how nice the nurse on duty was. I even remember my family members all giving her hugs as we left the ICU on the way to our private room.

As we arrived at our private room (I think it was Friday evening) I remember hearing the doctor say that I would be able to go home Saturday or Sunday. I was thinking "there is no way I am going home that quickly". But I did end up going home Sunday afternoon. While in the private room I started taking walks through the hallways with a walker and a family member at my side. The stay in the hospital was peacefull and the staff was very pleasant.  The medication I was given worked well also, as everytime I was asked if I was in any pain my answer was 'no'.

Anyway, we took the 2 1/4 hour drive from the hospital to the east coast of Fla. Sunday afternoon (I slept the whole way). For the first 5 or 6 days at home I was like a zombie. I only slept, ate, listened to the TV and took short walks through the house. I couldn't really watch TV because of the facial paralysis/left eye not functioning properly and full of lacri-lube gell. I didn't want any phone calls or visitors( Although my family kept calling to check up on me....god bless them),I just didn't have the strength for it. But suddenly that Saturday and Sunday things changed dramatically and I started to feel like I was actually getting better. I started to take walks outside, at first just up and down the driveway, then up and down the street. Two and a half weeks after surgery I was up to one mile and now 3+ weeks after surgery I am doing 2 miles. The balance isn't too much of an issue, I am a little wobbly but it isn't bad. I am doing the Cawthorne Cooksey exercises for balance.

Everything is going well with my recovery. The only thing slowing me down is the facial paralysis/left eye not functioning totally. I don't mind the paralysis so much (except when it comes to eating/drinking) bit I would be able to do a lot more if I could see a little better. I am using the Refresh Lacri-lube 4 or 5 times a day and it keeps my eye lubricated, but I wear glasses and between my eyesight not being that great and having one eye full of gell, it makes it tough to see anything. I am going back to the opthamologist next week to see if I need the goldweight or the corner of my eye sutured. But I have noticed a slight bit of movement on the left side of my face in my mouth/smile area and since yesterday my left eye has shed a few tears through the lacrilube (not due to sadness :). The left side of my face was totally paralyzed at 2 weeks after surgery (as I was told it would be), but 6 days later I started to get a slight bit of movement around my eye and mouth. I was told that it may be 6 months to 1 year before my face fully recovers, but I am hopefull that it will be sooner. What is everyone elses experience with this, that has had the same surgery?

All in all, I am very happy with the Doctors, the hospital staff and the way everything was handled. Between the doctors and this website I was well informed going into surgery and there was little or no surprises. I am back to work,feeling better every day(I didn't even take a nap today , also as of 5:00pm-no motrin needed all day) and looking forward to better times.

P.S. Another tear just ran down my cheek (once again, not due to sadness :)
       Sorry about the lengthy story (needed to vent a little)

Thanks All

Joe B.
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

Darin

• The Running Tumor
Re: Post op newbie/ First post
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:08:48 pm »
That's great Joe! My surgery is merely hours away(8:30AM EST July 1st), i was just checking the forum one last time when I saw your post. I can't wait to be another successful postie story. Hope your eye and face issues all fade with time. Thanks for taking the time to post your story.
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Keri

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:29:05 am »
Hi Joe and welcome!

Wow, things really moved quickly for you once you had your MRI. That's probably good. Even though you were so out of it at first, I'm glad you're feeling more yourself now. I think walking and activity when you're up to it really helps.
I had translab and am SSD and have the facial issues as well. It was really bad, as in immobile at first but has slowly gotten better. I think 6 months post op now (I guess I should change my signature). I used lube / gel ointment on my eye at first and I really needed it. It helped but I did see blurry. Now I use Refresh Celluvisc, which is more like drops but kind of oily. There is a wealth of info on the 'eye issues' section here. But, if your eye is starting to water spontaneously (mine does this when I eat) then maybe you should just stick to drops until you go get the weight put in or something - it could just continue to improve on it's own. BUT I DON'T want to give medical advice that I'm not sure of - so don't just take my word for it or anything! This is just my experience. I didn't expect the eye issues to be so much of a pain. Hopefully, you'll continue in your improvement. I understand about the eating/ drinking too, that's more difficult as well. But I've gotten better - seems like you are too.

Regarding the BAHA - my surgery was in January. I do want a BAHA, but I didn't want one right away (some have gotten one quickly and have had a great experience). My experience is this: after surgery the sounds, the tinnitus, the whole hearing (or lack of) experience kept changing / evolving. It's finally settled down and Im getting used to it. I'm fine with waiting for another surgery on my head, and will probably wait until around January (my one year anniv) because of insurance deductibles and also because I'm training for a fall marathon and don't want to deal with it right now. Plus, I'm hoping that since i've gotten so used to being SSD, once I get the BAHA it will be so improved that I'll be happy and won't stop to think what completely normal in stereo hearing used to be!  Again, there is much good BAHA info on the hearing section.

We wish you the best! Even though you're now done with the surgery, please stay around and let us know how it's going with you.

Keri
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:34:39 pm by Keri »
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:29:12 pm »
Hi, Joe - and welcome!

Thanks for posting your absorbing account.  Your process from MRI and diagnosis to surgery mirrored my own so I related to it quite well.  Your recovery is also similar to mine and I'm pleased to note that you're quite satisfied with your doctors, hospital experience and outcome of the surgery.  I join you in looking ahead to even better days!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.