Author Topic: 6 month MRI  (Read 2148 times)

sarahinPA

6 month MRI
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:19:37 am »
I had my 6 month MRI yesterday after having GK at UPMC in Pittsburgh Jan. 12, 2009. My MRI tech called me this morning ( she is a friend) and told me that to her it doesnt look as if the tumor has changed at all. I know my PA told me not to be discouraged about no change, but I am a little worried.. what have your experiences been 6 months after GK? i am so fearful of surgery if the GK didnt work..let me know what you all think from your experiences. thank you !
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 6 month MRI
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:15:40 pm »
Sarah ~

CK veterans may be able to better answer your questions but as I understand it, 'no change' means your AN isn't growing - which is considered success.  It takes quite a while for an acoustic neuroma to actually shrink, so I don't think 'shrinkage' is necessarily the primary indicator of CK success.  My fellow moderators (and CK veterans) Phyl and Steve, may have better responses.  Wait for them.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:49:25 pm »
Hi Sarah,

Will try to put your mind at ease (thanks Jim!!!)

Regardless of which type of radio-treatment was done (ie: GK, CK, Trilogy, etc), at the 6 mos point, with no change to the AN is quite fine. As Jim shared, the goal of any of the radio-treatments is to stunt the AN's growth (shrinkage is not a goal of radio treatments BUT can occur as many, including myself, have noted small amts of shrinkage).  As long as the AN is not showing any enhanced growth in MRI's, that is a good thing! :)  Truly!

It usually takes a good bit of time for any radio treatment to work on AN's... not 6 mos.  Most docs will note that it can take 1-2 yrs to confirm that the AN is no longer growing, thus, success.  With each forthcoming MRI, if they continue to see no enhanced growth, then you are most certainly on the right path.

I have found, in speaking to many, that the key to handing post-radiation treatment is patience and mental strength. You really need to have a good deal of both to wait out for the results.  As you noted, you are fearful at this point that the GK isn't working. Patience and mental strength really come into play and we are all here to help give you the patience and mental strength as you go through this.  Jim, myself, Steve, Mark, Vancouver Sue, Tumbleweeds, etc.... oh, there are SO many here that are now much further along down the road post-radiation and as you can see, many of us are doing well with the results we were seeking in having radio treatment done!  Please hang in there during the waiting game... its a tough game to play but winning at the end is truly rewarding!

Please hang tough.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

goinbatty

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 07:13:35 am »
Posting here so you can see my AN measurements.  Take assurance in knowing that it hasn't grown.  Hopefully in time our little invaders will shrink. 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change