Author Topic: quick update (now 13 months post op)  (Read 2100 times)

calimama

quick update (now 13 months post op)
« on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:03 pm »
HI ALL...

sorry i have not had a lot of time or the opportunity to write a long one-year update as i planned.

so here i am 13 months post-op today and i feel like i better write something now before the TWINS arrive and really mess with my time! (yes, STILL pregs. just hit the 36 week mark, and the ultrasound last week shows both are between 5.5. and 6lbs.... so pretty happy about this!).

i am doing well despite the regular facial issues that some are familar with with (eye that won't completely close, and does not tear), some teeth showing but not like i was before. my one year with the opthamologist shows my cornea is doing well despite no weight and still not having full closure. i use the drops and ointment, and manage fine. i might look into the weight several months down the road, but babes first.

i was seeing a facial therapist (doing bio-feedback and some exercises), but decided he is not doing much for me and since the BF is out of pocket expense, i won't be going back. besides, i am having trouble getting around with this huge belly!! i have a belated follow up MRI (my first since surgery, as i got pregs) in August so I will see if the surgeon can recommend another therapist.

i suffered from some hearing issues with my good ear in the past 2 months (all sorted now), which was HORRIBLE and makes you realize that you are both vulnerable (being SSD) and lucky (to have one good ear).

anyway, i don't worry too much about my face, i think it continues to recover slowly and i have symmetry at rest. i am hopeful for continued recovery in the months ahead.

will let you all know when the boys arrive.

best to all!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

Re: quick update (now 13 months post op)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:53:20 pm »
Hey TRISH! 
I was just thinking about you and wondering if it was about time for the babes!!  How exciting!  I had a LOT to recover from with the stroke (relearning how to write, walk, drive) and I got pregnant about a year out (so even longer than you) - I noticed that it took me a while to get to the point where I am today and I think it was b/c all my body could work on was the baby - concentrating on one thing at a time.  Maybe it will get even better for you once you have had them and things settle down a bit...OK, what am I saying?  Your life probably won't start to slow until after they are married!!  LOL!!   ;D

Good luck with everything!!  Can't wait to see pictures!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

suboo73

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 05:46:15 am »
Hi Trish! 
So good to hear how well you are doing after 13 months.  :) 
AN surgery seems so challenging, and yet most come thru fine, even with a few bumps along the way.

WOW - twins!  I am SO excited for you and your family!
Best wishes with the new babies.  Enjoy those bundles of joy!
Yes, pictures - we love pictures!  ;D

Take care and good luck with the delivery!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 06:22:57 am »
Wow Trish!

Glad to hear you're doing well.  36 weeks is great and the size of the babies is very good. 

I delivered at 40 weeks and mine were 6 lbs 7 oz and 7 lbs 4 oz.

I didn't realize you were having two boys!  How exciting!

Definitely keep us posted - and good luck  ;D

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:09:19 pm »
Trish ~

Hi!  It's good to see you post again.  Obviously, I'm not an expert on obstetrics but from the information you supplied (from your recent ultrasound) it appears to show that your twins are doing just fine as they reach full term and prepare to enter the world.  I wish you an easy birthing process and of course, two healthy babies!  :)

I hope you'll see progress and achieve more facial mobility, soon.  The ear issues - in your 'good' ear - must have been distinctly unpleasant so I'm pleased to learn that's been cleared up.  You're right in making the birth of your babies your first priority.  Once that has been accomplished, your facial issues can be addressed and, one hopes, resolved.

We'll be anxiously waiting for the news of your twins 'arrival'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:30:57 pm »
Wow and wow!!  Twin boys!  You sound happy and at peace w/things.  I hope the peace continues after the boys are born ;).  Good luck and God bless!  You deserve a shower of blessings.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

heyct

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 12:16:19 pm »
Hi Trish,

Glad to hear everything is improving. Best of luck w/the new tikes. Geez, it's hard enough just w/one!

Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:04:20 pm »
Twin boys.  Wow.  Bless your heart...  LOL   Glad to hear that you've made it to 36 weeks with them still hanging in there--that is GREAT!!

Vonda