Author Topic: visceral signs of AN shrinking?  (Read 2931 times)

kathy g

• Getting great radio heard
visceral signs of AN shrinking?
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:55:05 pm »

I would like to ask two questions (if anyone knows the answer):

1. Has anyone experienced any physical sensations when their tumor is shrinking?  I feel less dizzy, is that a sign?  Or is the only way to tell the MRI?

2.  What happens to the cells that die (if they do)?  Do they go down the throat?

Thanks so much,
Kathy
November 2010- 10 x 7 x 8 mm
May 2009- 28 x 26 x 17 mm
GK  May 2009 Washington Hospital, Fremont, CA

Tumbleweed

Re: visceral signs of AN shrinking?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:28:04 am »
Hi, Kathy:

The only way to tell is by looking at the followup MRI. I felt less dizzy leading up to my second followup MRI, and my tumor did shrink dramatically. But the improvement in balance could have just as easily been because the vestibular nerve died off some more and my "good" side was compensating more. Either way, I would've been grateful for my improving balance. But the MRI is the only way to know for sure if it's smaller or not.

Oftentimes, the cells that die just become scar tissue and stay where they were before. There is no way for cells to drain down the throat, as the entire brain is encased in a membrane that keeps all fluids -- and tissues -- inside the cranium. For tumors that shrink, it's hard to say whether they simply collapse on themselves or the body somehow absorbs the decaying cells. I've never seen any literature anywhere that mentions what the mechanism is -- consolidation or absorption -- for the cells of a shrinking tumor. I doubt anyone knows for certain. But in a few extremely rare cases, the tumor has "spontaneously" disappeared altogether, which leads me to conjecture that absorption is at play in at least some instances.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

kathy g

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:49:31 am »
Thanks, Tumbleweed.  Did you feel anything when your AN shrunk?  Could you tell?

Best,
Kathy

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:15:56 pm »
Kathy ~

FWIW:  I underwent tumor debulking in June, 2006 (4.5 cm down to 2.8 cm), then 26 FSR treatments, 3 months later.  My last MRI (8/08) showed both tumor necrosis and 'some slight shrinkage' - according to my doctor's observation of the MRI images.  My symptoms disappeared almost immediately following the surgery and never returned.  My balance is quite serviceable.  Other than that, I feel nothing that could relate to the shrinking tumor.  Frankly, I never expected to and would be (pleasantly) surprised if I did.  As for the dead tumor's ultimate fate, a radiation oncologist casually mentioned to me that the body 'absorbs' the tumor, but that it can take years for this to occur.  I really don't care what it does, as long as it doesn't make any more problems for me. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kathy g

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:44:08 pm »
Thanks, Jim. 

It would be good if we could feel it, no? 

Sometimes it feels like a dripping noise, but it might just be blood pumping.

Best, Kathy

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:40:07 pm »
I couldn't feel anything that made me think my tumor was shrinking. I really had no idea that it was. I was feeling better and better over time, but I thought that might have only meant that I was no longer getting significant swelling.

Personally, I think it's best not to focus on trying to guess what the tumor is doing. The best you can do is get what you deem is the best treatment, by the best doctors who provide that treatment, and then try to be as healthy and active as you can be and get on with your life. And if your heart tells you to and you have the time, come back to the forum and help others who are struggling with having an AN and need information and/or support.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08