Author Topic: Can someone tell me what this means?  (Read 4254 times)

kathee

Can someone tell me what this means?
« on: July 17, 2009, 03:47:27 pm »
Hi  everybody,

I had cyberknife done in January at Barrow in Phoenix.  I just had my 6 months MRI done.  I got the results today.  It says neuroma "shows an intense enhancement in its periphery.  The central portion is heterogeneous.  The amount of enhancement peripherally is much greater than it was on the previous exam"

Anybody know what this means?  Is this normal swelling?  I had a calll today from my ENT saying he wants to discuss this with me, but its after 5 pm here and he's gone.  I don't know if I should be worried or not.  Anybody out there had any experience like this?  I don't want to wait til Monday to find out what this means.

Don't know if this makes andy difference or not, but I was extremely dizzy etc. before cyberknife and still am.

Thanks,

Kathee
Cyberknife done in Phoenix, January 2009

Sefra22

Re: Can someone tell me what this means?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:10:38 pm »
I wish I could help, but I have no idea what it means.
What I can do is send some positive thoughts and hope that all is okay.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:17:10 pm »
Some sort of swelling is the most likely explanation. The change in the middle (heterogenous) is likely a sign of a dying tumor. The extra enhancement on the edges? I don't really know, but it is probably just reactions to the tumor dying. The main thing is whether it is still growing; if not, it will settle down in time and be a good little dead tumor.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:06:22 am »
Hi Kathee,

In our research whether radiation (of any type) is to be performed on us, we know of the swelling that can occur anywhere between approx 4 mos to 18 mos.... and you are right in that timeframe.  Like you, I had some swelling (not sure what your's is being defined when they note "intense enhancement" ie: is that 2mm or 5 mm or ?) down the road after my CK.  For me, mine started to stablize approx 9 mos post CK  but as we also know "individual results may vary".  Since the MRI was just done, have you met with your team yet to discuss your MRI results?  Booked an appt?  BNI CK team is usually very on top of these things (from what I hear) and I'd follow up with them, possibly in-person appt, to get their take on it. 

Hang in there.. it may be all part of the process..... please keep us updated.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 02:10:57 pm »
Kathee ~

I'm sorry to learn of your concern over your MRI report.  I'll offer a few definitions and possible explanation. 

Heterogeneous means dissimilar, composed of varied cell types.  Peripherally refers to the outer part of the remaining tumor, as you probably already knew.

I'm not a doctor so any explanation I offer is pure supposition but it certainly appears to be the usual swelling that occurs following radiation treatment.  I underwent FSR and experienced tumor swelling at my 6-month MRI .  It had disappeared by the next scan, six months later.   I wouldn't be overly concerned but if your ENT wants to discuss this, there may be something else going on.   As Steve and Phyl noted, swelling ('peripheral enhancement') is fairly common.  If you aren't experiencing any real symptoms, it's likely not going to be an issue.  Wait until you know what the facts are before allowing yourself to worry and stress.  Try to enjoy the remainer of your week-end.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kathee

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 03:12:06 pm »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to all who replied.  You guys made me feel so much better.  So nice to talk to people who have actually had ANs.

This web site is a life saver.

Thanks again and good luck to all,

Kathee
Cyberknife done in Phoenix, January 2009

mk

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 07:58:03 pm »
I don't think that "intense enhancement" means swelling. It most likely indicates change in contrast. In my 12 month report, the radiologist noted "increased enhancement in the periphery", as opposed to the darkening at the centre. I didn't have any swelling. Radiologists often use their "jargon" and it is up to your doctor to intepret the findings for your particular case.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.