Author Topic: LoopyLupy - Out of hospital take two! Migraines  (Read 2368 times)

Lupy

LoopyLupy - Out of hospital take two! Migraines
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:22:12 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. Ended up back in hospital for four days with some spectacular migraines, so bad I couldn't even walk. They checked me out and there was no leak or bleed - the migraines are just a side effect of the surgery. Apparently quite common for retrosigmoid? Has anyone else experienced this - and has it gone away? At the moment they are trying me on different meds to try and control the pain but if that doesn't work they will admit me again and try IV pain relief, but even this isn't a long term solution. One weird thing my neurologist suggested was coffee! Apparently a good strong coffee in the morning can keep them at bay. We'll see how that goes! Anyway, just a quick update, still finding computer stuff a bit tiring and not brilliant for migraines....

Lupy
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

suboo73

Re: LoopyLupy - Out of hospital take two! Migraines
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 03:42:07 am »
Hi Lupy!  So sorry to hear about your migraines - what a bummer that is....!  :(

I am sure others will chime in that have had surgery and maybe have some suggestions to find some relief.
I am also glad they checked you out and didn't find any bleeds or leaks - that is good!

Yes, my older daughter drinks coffee or takes Excedrin with caffeine - i have heard of that before.
My younger one lies down in a dark room, no noise or sounds.

Prayers for continued healing.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:13:37 am »
Lupy .....

So sorry about the headaches ..... bummer!  Having had two retrosigmoid surgeries, I can tell you the two experiences were vastly different.  After the first one I had terrible nausea and severe headaches, the second one neither!  I have no explanation as to why except that it was two different neurosurgeons in two completely different medical facilities, with probably somewhat different surgical techniques being used (I have no idea about either one).

The only thing that really helped the first time was ice packs 20 minutes on, 20 off as needed ..... plus a darkened room.  Pain meds just created other problems (like constipation and more nausea & dizziness) so I tried to use a minimum of them.  As soon as I was able to get up and walk more, the headaches rather rapidly diminished.  My husband was a great encourager to keep me moving and not curl up and try to shut out the world.

Sure hope yours go away soon ..... not fun, I know!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:21:23 am »
Hi, Lupy ~

I'm sorry to learn of your necessary re-hospitalization due to severe headaches.  I underwent retrosigmoid approach AN surgery but had only a very mild, temporary headache, post-op, easily managed with a few aspirin and only lasting a day or two.  Of course, I drink a lot of coffee, so perhaps that played a part in my avoiding the kind of headaches you're experiencing. 

I can only hope and will pray that your migraine headaches abate quickly.  If drinking coffee can help, why not? 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:26:35 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 05:36:03 pm »
Loopy:

I had retrosig and suffer from headaches as a result of it. My headaches have been debilitating, but I am getting relief with Pamelor. I don't get them as often anymore--once every week and a half or so. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with a headache and then again in the morning. I keep my heating pad by my bedside, and I find applying heat to the back of my neck very helpful.

Tylenol also is very helpful for my headaches. But I must warn you about it. I think some of my headaches were rebound headaches brought on by my dependence on Tylenol. It took Pamelor to get me off the stuff. I still take Tylenol every once in a while.

I'm an avid coffee drinker and get the headaches anyway. Maybe I drink too much

coffee. That can have adverse effects.

I hope you get some relief.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Lupy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:11 pm »
Thanks guys,

I am quite terrified at the prospect of these being permanent, but my neurologist seems to think they should pass with time (7weeks to three months). I am on sandomigran which will take a while to build in my system and so far have been able to control them with panadeine and broufen every six hours. I feel groggy but its better than being completely debilitated. I am trying my first coffee this morning so we will see how that goes. This 'getting better' really is a rollercoaster!

Lupy
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

moe

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:23:03 pm »
Hi Lupy,
So sorry about your headaches.
Yep the recovery is like a mini roller coaster. It's ups and downs.
Just gotta go with the flow and take care of yourself, whatever it takes. (can't remember your surgery date).
It took a good six weeks for my headaches to go away, (trans lab). I just relied on cold packs and vicodin/percocet, and then motrin/tylenol.
No headaches now, thank God, cuz I have raging tinnitus!
Good advice from people.
Dark room, cold pack, soothing music,- sounds like a pamper me day!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:46:53 pm »
I had a retro, and still have frequent headaches, but not nearly as bad as the ones I had w/the whole csf leak and meningitis thing.  Even so, caffeine has been a lifesaver.  For that reason, I tend to take Excedrin for the headaches.  When I get up in the morning, the coffee really helps blow the cobwebs and fogginess away.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.