Author Topic: this week (7/26) in the celebratory world of AN  (Read 5441 times)

Keri

this week (7/26) in the celebratory world of AN
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:08:21 pm »
Hello,
This week we have two anniversaries... and they're not just like the one or two year variety - they are double digits plus !!

Monday - 7/27 Sharon and Bob (Sharonov) are celebrating their 41st wedding anniversary!
Saturday - 8/1 Jim and Tina will be celebrating their 39th wedding anniversary!
Happy anniversary to both couples! Have a great week filled with joy and celebration.

Monday - Dana has her 2 year MRI and 2 year anniversary of her GK. Hope the MRI results are great and you also have reason to celebrate.

Tuesday - JoeBloggs flies back from Aussie land to the UK. Aww.... we'll miss your Australia stories and pictures. I hope you have a safe trip, JB, and that you have a smooth transition back and that you can find a paddleboarding group there!

Wednesday - Kathy (kma) has BAHA surgery. I hope it goes smoothly, Kathy, with a quick recovery.
Also Wednesday - Jason has surgery in Houston. Jason is not on the forum, but I think his parents or inlaws have met Brian (pooter) and have talked / shared about AN's. Brian, please relay our best wishes to Jason and his family!

Thursday - Ernie has Middle Fossa at HEI. Ernie, we wish you the best and hope for a thorough zapping of your AN. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Friday - wow, July is gone!

Last week:
I don't know the results or any postings about TxNurseNoelle's surgery. Anyone know?

Also - Trish had twins! Read all about it on the AN community thread. No pictures quite yet!

McK has FSR at UCSD. This treatment is ongoing, I believe.  OK, my son is now in the military and I'm getting used to the acronyms, but I'm not sure what FSR and UCSD are. Someone please chime in! McK, we too wish you the best.

Enjoy the rest of your July and have a great week,
Keri (who is also celebrating - my son got to phone home from basic training (USAF) today and we got to talk for more than 30 seconds and he sounded good and in 32 days we'll get to see him again, but who's counting!)
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

Re: this week (7/26) in the celebratory world of AN
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 10:31:39 pm »
FSR = Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation
UCSD = University of California San Diego

USAF = United States Air Force - but you already knew that. :)

Best wishes Ernie, have a great surgical outcome. Ditto to Jason.

Congratulations, anniversarians. :)

Good luck everyone,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 10:49:44 pm »
Thank you Keri for another excellent update.  That is great that you finally got to talk to your son, I bet you feel a lot better ;D
FSR stands for “fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy”, a series of radiation treaments (30 I believe) delivered in smaller doses over a number of weeks.

Best wishes to Kathy, Jason, and Ernie for successful and uncomplicated surgeries this week.

We wish you success McK, as you begin your FSR treatments.

Happy two year anniversary Dana, and we hope you have a clean MRI tomorrow (well, today).

Happy Anniversary to Bob & Sharon celebrating their 41 st wedding anniversary, and to Jim & Tina celebrating their 39 th.

And JB, we hope you have an enjoyable flight back to the UK, and that your return to work next week is not too tough on you.

Rich & Scarlett

P.S. Hi Steve :)
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:58:27 am »
Keri... thank you!  :-*

For the long-term wedding anniversaries.... MAJOR kudo's for such love and devotion over the years!  It's rare to hear of such marriage longevities in this day in age and my knitted "Steve's hat" is tipped in your honour!

Ernie and Kathy, wellness wishes to you this week as you each endure procedures!   Best wishes to you both!

Joesblogg..... welcome back to the UK. Safe journeys to you and when you get there, please do a little shopping for me for Radox and Cadberry.... I'm running low :D

To all others I've not noted... my continued wellness wishes to you!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:46:16 am »
Good luck to everyone having treatments this week!  Happy ANniversary to the lovely couples!  And, congrats to Trish again for the babies!

I did hear from Jason's MIL that he'll be at Methodist Hospital in Houston (I'm very familiar with that place!) and his Dr. will be Dr. Cech.  Unknown if he'll be having translab or retro.  His tumor is 1.6cm and not putting pressure on the brainstem.  Overall, very encouraging news.  I'll pass along updates when I get them.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:06:19 pm »
Best wishes for all being treated this week.  They were in my prayers this morning.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 04:12:54 pm »
Keri ~

Thanks for the comprehensive update...and thanks to all for the anniversary wishes.  Much appreciated.  :)

I'm sending good vibes and prayers for Ernie as he undergoes his MF surgery at House this week.  I'm confident he'll do well with all the folks rooting for him.  Can't wait to see Ernie here as a 'postie'.

I also want to send my best wishes to Kathy as she undergoes her BAHA implant this week.  An important step toward improved hearing.  I wish her success - and no complications.

I know Dana will have a 'clear' MRI but a few prayers couldn't hurt.  Let us know the results as soon as you do, Dana.

Like most, I'm not familiar with Jason but of course I wish him total success with his upcoming surgery.

My hopes and prayers for a safe and enjoyable trip to England for JoeBloggs.  Her posts are always a delight.  She is definitely the epitome of 'upbeat'.  :)

And Keri, I 'm glad to learn that you got to speak, however briefly - to your son.  32 days will fly by.  As you noted, July is almost gone!  Please tell your son that his service is respected and valued by many, including me.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 11:39:04 pm »
See my update in the Houston luncheon thread.

Regards,

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 05:24:17 pm »
Just a couple of quick updates on Jason's surgery earlier this week. 

Sent to me on Friday night:  "Jason is doing remarkably well. Still in ICU. May get moved to regular room tomorrow. So far no facial paralysis. Has been very coherent, remembers first night in ICU. Spinal fluid drainage is ceasing (his drain is in his back). They sat him up
2day but hasn't attempted walking yet. Still a little dizzy just while sitting. Removed arterial drain 2day."

Then, sent to me earlier today:  "Jason will probably stay in icu. Daniella said doc had been by and wasn't comfortable moving him to regular
room during wkend because staff doesn't monitor as well (maybe shorthanded). Doc wants drain closely monitored."

Overall, I'd say he's doing very well.  I haven't had a chance to talk to Jason's MIL except on email, but she said she'd call when she had the chance (no phone reception at the hospital).

Please continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Regards,

Brian

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:40:04 am »
Sunday update on Jason from G:  "Still in icu room. Hopefully in private rm tomorrow. Like I mentioned earlier, dr feels like wkend care is not the best in private room. Jason stood up and walked a little. Said with each passing day he's less dizzy, eyesight gets better (never really bad, but not quite in focus) and feels stronger each day. Yay! We r delighted with his progress!"

Still going well.  I hope to meet / talk to them in person soon.

Regards,

Brian

Keri

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 10:48:51 pm »
Thanks, Brian for updating. I'm sure they're thankful for your support and I hope you can all meet soon.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 09:27:59 am »
Quick update on Jason from his MIL:  "Jason was released on Tuesday. Was in intensive care from weds (day of surgery) thru Monday. Was put in private room Monday afternoon and released tues at 12 noon...D**** had her 1st ultrasound (5mos) and was wanting to know sex of baby. I was driving her to appt and Jason mentioned how ge could go also if neuro would come by within the hr. When nurse heard this, she got neuro's approval over phone and paperwork was completed within 10 minutes and they let dani wheel him out and I wheeled their stuff behind them. Jason had follow up with doc on Thursday and all was progressing well. He told dani to take him out, walk around, of course all with moderation! He did get a little tired yesterday but says he's feeling better and better with each passing day. We all played scrabble last night and he will be accompanying us to church tomorrow (his decision)! I take him on Monday morning for another follow up. "

I got this Saturday night from G.

Thought you'd all want to know that things seem to be progressing normally for Jason.  I've kept in touch with G and offered advice from the patients perspective.

More as I get it.

Regards,

Brian

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 11:59:28 am »
Brian ~

Great news about Jason!  Thanks for the continuing updates.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 09:13:28 pm »
Brian,
It's also great he got to go to his wife's ultrasound for the baby.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Keri
My head feels weird!!

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 06:21:46 pm »
Another update from G on Jason's progress:  "So much has happened...have been super busy and exhausted! We. Did go to church sunday and Jason looked flushed and a bit swollen to me. Later that afternoon dani calls and tells me some spinal fluid is leaking from his lumbar drain, but it's just a drop. Next day, mon, I take him to ent. We mention drop leakage and he checked the wound and it was dry.
 He tells j to followup with neuro. Neuro sees him and now the leakage is quite significant and pink in color. Neuro said to go Hm and lay on stomach and side but not back and call him if it got worse. Well, next morning, sheets were wet from lumbar drain and then leakage started coming out from staples. Went in for emergency surgery last tues at 7 on. Was done at midnite. Has been in icu since...had more swelling after second surgery...they took more fat from stomach, repacked head and another lumbar tube. Ent came by today and removed both lumbar and stomach drains and was moving him into private rm. Neuro came by and said he could go Hm so he went straight from icu Hm. He will go c neuro tom. They are giving his body a chance to process his csf on it's own. If there's leakage or swelling, he goes back in for a shunt.  " 

That was from yesterday.  This is from today:  "Daughter's OB/GYN appt went well this morning as did Jason's neuro appt...all is progressing well with all..mommy, daddy and baby, thanks to God and everyone's prayers! "

Looks like they may finally be on the right recovery tract.  I'll update more as I get it.

Regards,
Brian