Author Topic: MRI facility difference?  (Read 2673 times)

kathy g

• Getting great radio heard
MRI facility difference?
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:47 am »
I am going to have my 3 month post Gamma Knife MRI in a few weeks and wonder if I should go to the same facility that I had the last MRI.  Does it make a difference?

Thanks, Kathy
AN 3 cm
GK May 2009
November 2010- 10 x 7 x 8 mm
May 2009- 28 x 26 x 17 mm
GK  May 2009 Washington Hospital, Fremont, CA

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: MRI facility difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:40:47 am »
Hi Kathy

If you can have it done at the same facility, that would be terrific.  That way, the same technology (ie: MRI Machine, etc) and "slices" during the scans of the MRI's from before (to be used as comparison) should give a better idea of how the brain booger is doing. I have all of mine done at the same location (for the past 3+ yrs) so they can backtrack to prior films to do comparison. 

Plus, I now get terrific flirting options with Tom, who does my head MRI's... and our spouses even know :)

Good luck with your MRI and please keep us posted!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:30:42 am »
Kathy,

I would say definitely have it on the same machine, because the last thing you need right now is ambiguities. This is the most critical time frame for swelling, so you need to be able to compare the images before and after.
At 3 months the best result you can hope for is no swelling. Don't be disappointed if you don't see any signs of necrosis, this comes later.

By the way, how are you feeling? Again, at this point it is unlikely to have improvement of your existing symptoms, but the best outcome is no new symptoms.

Good luck with your MRI and let us know how it goes.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

kathy g

• Getting great radio heard
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:18:56 am »
Thanks so much.  I know this MRI is critical.  I do feel better, but still dry mouth and numb tongue on one side. 

Best, Kathy
November 2010- 10 x 7 x 8 mm
May 2009- 28 x 26 x 17 mm
GK  May 2009 Washington Hospital, Fremont, CA

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 08:07:46 pm »
Kathy .....

Although I am not a GK patient, the same advice applies to all of us ...... having MRIs at the same facility certainly lessens the chance of skewed or different interpretations on regression/growth.  I have had all of mine at the same place.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:36:01 am »
Same facility isn't mandatory, but it's recommended.  Works best for comparison purposes.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways