Author Topic: tinnitus cause/reason  (Read 7184 times)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
tinnitus cause/reason
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:38:46 pm »

I've been thinking a lot about my tinnitus lately .. I've done some internet reading and research and was wondering your thoughts!

The brain does not understand that you have no hearing ..(or diminished) .. and the hearing section of the brain does not have any signals ..and what happens when your in a quite classroom and another noisy one is next door? .. you hear that one .. but the room next room is NOT get hearing signals, but some OTHER signals.  Like Eye movement !! thought process etc .. and that is converted to hearing ... which if course is wrong! ... so my question is this .. does a person with a CI implant get less  tinnitus ? .. or at least not the eye movement noise ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

SKT

Re: tinnitus cause/reason
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 06:59:27 am »
Oh how i have thought about this.  There's not a second in the day where i'm not reminded. Oh, and then, to enter a noisy room,  or loud music  - well that ear just wants to pump up the erratic, excrutiating noises to unbearable levels,  doesn't it.
Ok, now that i got that out (i'm really quite a positive person - just need to let out some steam with the tinnitus every now and then) - What you have pondered is quite interesting.  Perhaps tricking the brain into believing that it's actually receiving some real noise - there could be something in that.
Staying on the topic of tinnitus - does anyone get pulsatile tinnitus when they get really tired or go to bed - it's a sensation where your ear makes a high pitch noise, seemingly in tune with your pulse rate. It's really very disturbing. i have to wait it out before i lie down again to sleep.  Anyone?

Static

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 08:13:31 am »
SKT, Yes, I get that feeling plenty of time and it's definitely not fun!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 09:25:57 am »
Joe, I have to ask and maybe you or someone knows the answer... you noted in your post that "...and the hearing section of the brain does not have any signals".

Now, when I met with the audiologist last week for my update hearing test and I asked her about tinnitus, she said it was a misfiring of the nerve endings.  Can anyone enlighten me to what actually is the cause of tinnitus? No signals? Misfiring of signals? Anything?

Thanks!
Phyl :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sunshine16

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 09:27:09 am »
I had the same feeling, SKT...  Couple of times.  And wondered what was it? 

Joef

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 11:03:38 am »

ppearl214,  I don't think they have the real cause!  Now there are different types, so there could be different causes... I did not ask my surgeon,(but I will next time I see him)  when you do a trans-lab where are the ends of the hearing nerve cut? .. are they touching anything? ..

I was told (and read a few places) that ringing is all in your brain .. its like phantom pain in the arm (when the arm has been amputated) .. well my EAR has been amputated but I still have the ringing!.. how can this be! ..

I guess its all in my head  ;)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 01:16:58 pm »
Joe, hun... it's ALL in our heads! :D

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 01:32:56 pm »
I have sound induced tinnitus since translab.  My own speaking causes a hiss with every single syllable and utterance.  Loud or soft talking and noises have this hiss tinnitus on top of it.  Soft music has a softer tinnitis accompanying it.  I try to turn the radio speakers on bass and leave out treble as much as possible.  But I can't stand the booming, vibrating type bass.  Bass = sound or fish to you, Joe!

When I put my good ear on the pillow I no longer get the pulsitile tinnitus that I had pre-op.  But I get a small tinnitus hiss with each collapse of the darn foam in the pillow!  Hearing is too good on that side.  :(

Some days I just turn on all of the TV's and radios in the house (in a reasonable volume, or course), then go around blitzing my ears.  ..sort of like being in a crowd.  I call it AN ear training!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 01:44:23 am by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 02:29:32 pm »
Joe, what does this mean in your post...but the room next room is NOT get hearing signals, but some OTHER signals.  

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 02:45:01 pm »
I don't know about y'all but I feel like I got my head stuck in a box o' tree frogs 24/7.

I keep music on all the time (rRadio Margaritaville!) or a fan when I go to bed.  The swoosh swoosh swooosh in time with my pulse has subsided for the most part, except when I'm having a migraine and I'm really noise sensitive. Up till about a year after surgery I had a 747 that would cruise through my head every once in a while--YEOW!!!

My husband thinks its funny because when spring comes and the peepers start up outside in the woods, he's soooo happy!  I say I have peepers all the time!  It reminds me of my place in the islands where the tree frogs would serenade me all night long. Not really unpleasant at all.

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Static

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 10:18:59 am »
Tree frogs, rofl!  First time I ever heard it explained that way!  Sounds like something you would say Capt LOL!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Joef

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 10:30:33 am »
Joe, what does this mean in your post...but the room next room is NOT get hearing signals, but some OTHER signals.  

by room I mean part of the brain .. so the normal hearing part of the brain is not getting the hearing signals from the ear .. so it picks up OTHER signals from nearby parts....like eye movement or other processes .. and THEY get converted to sound.....

Like snow on the TV (for those that remember old TV before cable!) when there is no broadcast...

at least thats my theory!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 12:12:48 pm by Joef »

Boppie

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 04:40:37 pm »
that is interesting!  hmmmm  wish there was a nice easy medication for it, one that didn't make you crazy.  Actually tinnitus is not noticable when I am busy.  Its still there whenever I check it.  NOtttt   acknowledging ittttt!!!!!!!  What?

dpericoni

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 08:56:22 pm »
Well, I always describe the tinnitus as the sound of frogs off in the distance. Nice to hear (no pun intented) someone else describe them as frogs too.

My question is if I am deaf why can't they just go in and remove all the plumbing so the ringing will stop? I guess that's not possible, huh?

Darlene
middle fossa
House
5mm by 8mm

SKT

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 07:16:32 am »
I'm afraid not Darlene - as I understand it, it has nothing to do with the ear- but rather a 'head noise' - noise signals the brain makes.  I find that it is just the most bizarre thing, will never understand it.   Oh why does mine want to be so loud..........