Author Topic: Need an assist  (Read 3006 times)

BBrock

Need an assist
« on: August 03, 2009, 02:46:12 pm »
Hi all,

Well it has been some journey to date.  I am 6 weeks out of the hospital and now the Military wants a bunch of anwers I am not sure of.  Since it is their recommendation to boot me to the curb I need to know what short/long term affects there might be.  Please include all possibles. 

Thanks again for everything,

Brian

Kaybo

Re: Need an assist
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:20:40 pm »
Brian~
Can you tell us specifically what you need? Also, how are you feeling NOW - I can't think of anything else that might pop up at this point, but we kind of need a starting point...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:51:48 pm »
Brian ~

The main possibilities for AN post-surgery complications include unilateral hearing loss, headaches (sometimes severe), imbalance, facial weakness and resultant eye issues including 'dry eye'.   Your surgeon should be able to supply this information in better detail.  However, he should also note that if you don't have these problems now, you probably won't develop them at a later date. 

Good luck with retaining your status with the Coast Guard.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

BBrock

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:12:07 pm »
Hi again,

Some of the issues or questions I have are:
Willl the world ever stop spinning?  When I am sitting all is good.  It is the moving that sucks.
I have headaches occasionally but usually very sharp and do not last long.  Is this normal?
Wonky headedness?  I feel much of the time like there is fog in my brain bucket?
What kind of future follow-ups might be needed?
Chances of the tumor coming back if any?

These are all questions I will ask my surgeon tomorrow but wanted a more personal perspective.

You all are great!!!

Brian

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:59:45 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Brian!  I didn't want to go into something if it wasn't needed!  The first thing to remember is that every AN is different as is EVERY RECOVERY IS DIFFERENT!  That being said, you are still relatively close out.  I think that if all of the tumor was removed, there is like a 1-2% chance that it can reappear (help me out someone) - so slight that to me, it isn't worth wasting what precious little brain space I have left worrying about it!   ;)  Follow-ups are different with each Dr. but basically, after that 1st year, you just go for MRI's and then a follow-up appointment once a year.  I had to do this for 5 years - I actually moved during that time period so the last 2-3 were done in the new city and the results were sent to the neuro in Houston - I didn't even go in.  I had the spinning REALLY bad, but it did eventually go away.  It has been so long now that I can't tell you exactly how long it was - I do know that I went back to work at 3 months and I don't remember still being dizzy then...I realize that is pretty vague, but helps somewhat...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:58:55 am »
Brian -

as Jim mentioned, SSD is permanent.

The world should stop spinning, the wonkyhead should go away, and the fog will clear.  However, as Kay mentioned, everyone is different and it's hard to tell when that will occur for you.  As she also mentioned, it's still relatively early in your recovery.  I remember I was pretty much "normal" about 3 - 4 months post op; but that's me - it may not be you.

My follow up (post op, once the stitches were removed) has been an annual MRI to check for regrowth; that's it.  I also opted for a BAHA, which meant minor surgery and a doc's appointment or three.  Other than that, I'm good to go - haven't seen my neurotologist for a little over a year (after I got my Divino).

My surgeons told me that they removed my tumor "completely", but I still have a chance of regrowth - approximately 1 - 2%.  It's pretty rare, but it does happen.

Hope this helps,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Greengiant71

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:59:18 am »
I'm 3 months from my surgery, currently undergoing (MEB) medical board in the Army.   Yeah, there is a lot that you will have to cut back on if you can.   Myself I don't run anymore hell i don't do any PT anymore other than ride the bike for 30 minutes or so.  I just got finished with physical therapy, still working vestibular therapy before I leave the Army.  I'm not certain but I'm not looking at much for compensation from the Army for losing my hearing, almost feels like they are blaming me for having a tumor.   
PFC Green Cliff 2-25 AVN  DVN

Diagnosed:  Jan 2009 , Translab surgery 28 Apr 09.