Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 2403 times)

jps311

Just wondering
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:36:40 pm »
Ok i have been out of GK since february and was wondering has anyone  that has had it done experienced dizziness. Mine has been severe at times and i am on meds that seem to do ok but the minute i don't take them it comes back. I have had an mri since my gk and they tell the tumor is showing signs of dying. I may need to go on steriods but those didn't work before and side effects stunk. There also a drug which i would have to go to the hospital for and have it through a needle. I guess they say that with the radiation they put to the tumor makes it swell up evry other month and is causing some difficulties. Any help that someone could provide would be great. This has been a very tough month with it. thanks Paul

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Just wondering
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:46 pm »
Hi Paul

I'm sorry to hear you are running into post-radiation issues.... regardless of type of radiation (ie: GK, CK, etc).... many report that months post radiation treatment, enhanced side affects may occur... ie: dizziness, balance issues, diminished hearing, etc.  You are now 6 mos post GK and in line with the time frame that potentially, things could crop up.  Side affects of steroids can be brutal (sounds like you already know that) but, if there is possible tumor swelling going on (sometimes it doesn't  show on the outside but could be occuring internally to the tumor, not seen on MRI, applying pressure on the nerve), then an antiflammatory, possible steroids, may do the trick. I noted this only from experience (I am certainly not a doctor) as I ran into the same issues down the road after my CK. My docs explained to me about "inside" tumor swelling applying pressure and unfortunely, was put on Medrol Dosepak (steroids) to nip it back to what it should be. I did ok on the steroids but it certainly helped with my symptoms and tumor swelling.

Just my 2 cents. Please feel better and hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:36 pm »
For do-it-yourself over-the-counter remedies, I found that Ibuprofen and Alleve (Naproxen) worked well. They are non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), so you have to be careful what else you take, how many, etc. Sometimes a little will go a long way, though. Hopefully you will get over the hump soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:44:54 pm »
Paul ~

Following AN debulking surgery, I underwent 26 'low-dose' FSR treatments in 2006.  I still get the occasional reminder that the AN is going through it's death throes when I feel the (minor) effects of swelling.  Like Steve suggested, usually a single Ibuprofen capsule will alleviate the discomfort.  I only take them when the discomfort gets annoying and then, only one pill at a time, which is usually sufficient. If OTC medications such as NSAID's don't help, you may need prescription medications.  This is something your should talk about with your physician, if necessary. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.