Author Topic: Link between AN and high liver enzymes?  (Read 2042 times)

dbych

Link between AN and high liver enzymes?
« on: August 09, 2009, 11:25:52 am »
Hi - This is my first post, haven't used discussion forums before.  About a year ago, I completed 3 cyberknife sessions to treat a 2cm AN.  Treatment went fine, follow-ups are normal (no growth).  Around the same time though, I started having issues with high blood pressure and heart palpitations.  Have followed-up on those issues and have most of it under control with meds, but the past 2 blood tests I've had show elevated liver enzymes.  Tomorrow I go in for an ultra-sound to check for "inflammation of the liver".  Are any of you aware of any connection between AN or cyber-knife and liver problems?  Thank you.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Link between AN and high liver enzymes?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 02:14:52 pm »
dbych .....

Welcome to this Forum!  So glad your CK treatments have resulted in no growth of your AN.

I, too, have had elevated liver enzyme problems (and I have not had CK), but after many months of monitoring/testing (including a liver biopsy), it seems my enzymes go up every time I take Tylenol.  If you have had more discomfort, which has caused you to increase your analgesic intake, it could be the culprit.  Worth checking anyway.

Keep us posted.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:27:25 pm »
dbych ~

Welcome to the forums! 

I'm not a doctor but I have no knowledge of CyberKnife (radiation) treatment resulting in liver enzyme issues.  Clarice is correct about analgesics being a possible cause for seeing elevated liver enzymes.  I would add that many medications can alter liver enzyme levels, including antibiotics and even some anti-depressant drugs.  The statins normally found in cholesterol-lowering meds can also be a culprit.  The good news is that when these types of medications are the source of elevated liver enzymes, the levels return to normal shortly after the medications are stopped.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

dbych

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:53:55 pm »
Thank you Jim and Clarice - I appreciate the feedback.  We'll see how it goes with the ultra-sound and will make sure to mention my meds to see if they are contributing.  Will keep you posted.  :)