Author Topic: Extremely Loud Hand Dryers Cause Problems  (Read 6219 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Extremely Loud Hand Dryers Cause Problems
« on: August 09, 2009, 05:56:13 pm »
Ok, I've got a weird thing that maybe I can get some input on. At work, they decided in order to "save money" they would install hand dryers vs paper towels in the rest rooms. Well, not only did they get hand dryers, they got SUPER DUPER hand dryers, aka jet engines. These things are strong and LOUD, and when you get 2 of them going at the same time, it's awful.

It bothers my ears something fierce. I have resorted to wearing some cheap ear plugs when I use the rest room in, but this is getting to be a pain. If I forget to grab them I either have to plug my ears while they are running or else the tinitus really increases.  I know of one person who has complained that these things are too loud, and was poo poo'd.

Any suggestions?

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

sgerrard

Re: Extremely Loud Hand Dryers Cause Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:34:38 pm »
All of my ideas involve some sort of sabotage. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:35:12 pm »
"poo - poo'd"  was that on purpose??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:58:40 pm »
The sensitivity of dryers is part of the "hyperacusus" issue that some of us got from this whole AN treatment stuff.

I have flesh toned earplugs that I carry with me at all times. I order these through the hyperacusus network.

I cannot change the dryers that exist in many restrooms but I can control how much sound goes in to my ear. Before I go to a public restroom I always put in my earplugs/ filters. (I carry a bunch of color coded earplugs in my pocket at all times)

Here is where I got my flesh tone ones.

This is the group
http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/what+is+hyperacusis/default.asp
This is the page that I ordered the flesh tone ear plugs from
http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/helpful+products/default.asp

I have to wear plugs when I vacuum, blow dry my hair, or in a non-carpeted room with low men's voices (that resonate). I will always have to vacuum, style my hair and be men will always have low voices. So I just find coping tools...

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:03:17 pm »
Oooooooh, I can identify.  I keep a pair of sound earmuffs handy for use at home when blending, vacuuming, etc.  It really would be a major hassle to keep earplugs available and ready ..... especially when we often do not know or expect a loud sound.  But then, crinkling chip bags, clanging dishes, etc. do not bother normal people either!  Sometimes it just wears me out!

DHM, thanks to the links to the hyperacusis site ..... very interesting.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:53 pm »
Clarice,

Oh you are welcome. Chip bags crickle ...oy ya ya. My kids are clanging the dishes as I type here ... Husband is humming with his low resonating voice. I am wearing ear plugs here, at my laptop, as I type ... My family has NO IDEA WHAT this is like. I am glad you folks understand me. I am not alone in the noisy world...  :) after all.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

moe

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:58:19 pm »
Yep, ear plugs are my best friend. Or I just plug my good ear in public. I don't care what people think at this point!
I can't afford the tinnitus to worsen worse than it already is :o
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:37:58 am »
This is EXACTLY what I have!  Do you get the foam or the silicone ear plugs.  Thanks again for the link.  I know you've posted this before somewhere.

Cheri

I wear the foam- the silicone ones only in the shower and at the pool. The foam ones I just "place" in the ear without really inserting and pretty much wear these in public buildings with air systems... When I know I am going to combat a public restroom hand dryer (or someone is munching on a bag of chips) I inset the plug all the way in before hand (Which makes me almost completely deaf).
If I am at a recital or a concert I actually insert a neon FOAM orange plug as then I can hear yet filter the bass tones better... Often the audience is in the dark so know one sees it- unless there is a black light scene for special affects... then the neon plug screams "Looky here at the weird lady with the glow in the dark earplug!!;) :D (My youngest was a "WHO from WHoosville" in Suessical the Musical- she spotted the neon orange earplug in the audience from the stage... too funny  :D )

DHM

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 03:19:43 pm »
I've been resisting (euphemism for procrastinating!) getting an ear plug, but am looking into a musician's ear plug which supposedly only blocks the higher decibels.  I am more sensitive to high pitches noise, so that might do the trick for me.  Meanwhile, I just keep one finger ready to jam into my ear at all times!   ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 08:04:23 pm »
Interesting. Really, the dryers are about the only sound that really bother me anymore. I've even been to a venue with a live band and that didn't really bother me. I continually push myself, so I wonder if I just need to push myself with these dang things, although I wonder if they are loud enough to damage hearing. lord knows I don't want to damage what I have left!

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 12:30:23 am »
Hi Cathy,  I encountered one of those dryers last week in Minnesota.  I had to leave the bathroom!  It was so loud it actually caused pain in my good ear.  You're not alone.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)