Author Topic: Two Day Count Down  (Read 6457 times)

juliec

Two Day Count Down
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »
Surgery is in two days (Aug. 13). I'm driving down to Iowa City from Minneapolis so Dr. Gantz can perform Middle Fossa on me first thing Thursday morning. Obviously I'm not looking forward to it, but on the other hand, it will be nice to have it over with after finding out May 20 that I have an AN, or possibly a facial schwanoma. Tumor is somewhere between 1.3 and 1.75 cm (doctors don't agree). Wish life didn't have to throw curve balls at you, but how else do you grow I suppose? Just praying that God will give me the strength I need to deal with whatever the outcome is, and knowing he's always with me. I'm thankful for faithful family and friends. Thanks for all the help and support the people in this forum gave me. I haven't posted much, but I have read much. I appreciate all the help you've offered others, which I have benefited from as well.
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN
1.8 x 1 cm Middle Fossa surgery Univ of IA 8/13/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Two Day Count Down
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:46:06 pm »
Julie .....

So glad you will soon have the AN out of your head and you can get on with your life!  Dr. Gantz has an excellent reputation so you are in good hands.

Don't forget to take the Chapstick (kind of a joke on this Forum, but actually it has been almost universally essential for post-surgery  :D).

We have close college friends who live in Bloomington so we have been there many times ..... neat city (and of course, love the mall!).

My thoughts and prayers for successful surgery, uneventful recovery, and the strength to deal with both!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:33:01 pm »
Hi Julie,

You never know what's around the corner, life is funny that way.

The AN journey is a strange one to say the least.  With each one so different from the other.  It sounds like you have a strong faith, and that will get you through whatever lies ahead.  Keep your spirits up, there have been so.....many positive out comes, yours will be also :)

Our thoughts and prayers are with you for that successful and uncomplicated surgery,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 01:50:39 pm »
Julie ~

No one really looks forward to AN surgery but alas, it is a necessity for some of us.  Please remember that you'll have a host of friends from this site thinking of you and praying for you on Thursday.  Your faith in God to give you the strength you'll need is well-placed.  

I've added your surgery date to our famous AN Treatment Calendar http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d13/08/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:04:48 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26:39 pm »
Hi Julie-

I remember, as if it were yesterday, the last 48 hours of the booger-ectomy countdown.  Wish I had something brilliant and life-changing to say, but instead I will tell you that you will be in my thoughts and prayers this week.  Remember that the first 24 hours don't count - and try to stay as calm as you can this week.

hugs to you,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

epc1970

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:56:36 pm »
Good luck with your surgery Julie! You will do great-there is so much anticipation and nervousness in the days immediatly preceeding surgery. I kept telling myself that these surgeons do these surgeries all the time so trust in the skill in your surgeons and in yourself to handle whatever comes your way! I'm looking forward to reading your first report as a postie  ;D

Erin

Joe B

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:20:50 pm »
Hey Julie,

I hope everything goes well for you on the 13th. Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part, and thankfully that part is almost over for you. Let us know how everything went as soon as you feel up to it.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Joe B.
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:51 pm »
Julie,

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.  :)  I look forward to reading your posts once you are a postie!

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

suboo73

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:00:17 pm »
Julie, 

I will add my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery.
Go for it - you will do great!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:25 pm »
Best wishes, Julie. See you soon as a postie. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 09:39:39 pm »
Hey Julie, don't forget to eat alot of ice cream before surgery! It helped me. The last couple days I was kind of going crazy with the 'countdown', I'm sure you'll do great. Any questions during recovery, let us know, the first couple answers are free  ;) In all seriousness, will keep you in my prayers.
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 12:28:11 am »
Julie,  I'm not sure if you're driving down today or Wednesday.  I sent you a personal email offering my support for you in facing your surgery.  You can tell from the forum that GOD has been a huge, huge factor for so many of us facing the AN surgery.  I hope you find comfort in your prayers and in the prayers of others.  I know that I did.  I also know from experience that Dr. Gantz is an amazing surgeon and will take very good care of you.  Keep your faith and stay positive.  Go into surgery with a big smile.  You're going to do great.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:48 am »
Julie,  Good luck in Iowa City as know it way too well.           One big hint is to take some Refresh Liquigel with you for possible dry eye as all they give for daytime use is a plain tears drop which hardly does a thing.      I had some dry eye for 3 weeks my last surgery even with no facial paralysis.      The lip balm is handy too.
   Also make sure to order snacks and keep in frig as they don't keep much on hand and I was into pudding as not much tasted good with my taste being off.     This is on the floor once out of ICU.                              I will be thinking of you.                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

juliec

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 03:24:37 pm »
Well, the surgery was a week ago. I got my stitches out today. Surgery went pretty well. The tumor is gone. It was bigger than all the other doctors thought. Only Dr. Gantz guessed the size correctly at 1.8cm. It was also stuck to my facial nerve, even though it was an acoustic neuroma. I'm thankful Dr. Gantz was performing the surgery. It was a sticky tumor and hard to get out since it was all over the place. My left balance nerve is gone. My hearing from the left ear is probably gone, although sometimes I think I can hear something out of that ear. My facial nerve is intact, but stretched out during surgery so not working very well yet. I was crying this morning because of my screwed up face, but when tears came out of my left eye too, I felt better. The doctors think it will all start working again in a few months. I'm praying for that. I'm starting to feel better and visited work briefly to talk to my supportive employer and co-workers, then went to out to lunch. Food tastes the same to me and the mac & cheese at noodles was really good. Came home and still felt fine, although a nap was definitely in order.

Thanks for all your support through this. A brain tumor and surgery is a scary thing and it helps to have people there for you who have gone through it before.

Julie
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN
1.8 x 1 cm Middle Fossa surgery Univ of IA 8/13/09

epc1970

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 04:28:41 pm »
Julie
You sound like you are doing great for a week post op! I can sympathize with the emotions surrounding your face looking different but hey, you got some tears out of it....that's GREAT!!! I hope that your face  continues to make progress...don't get discouraged-it takes time. Make sure you get lots of rest and take good care of yourself. It is a scary deal but here you are...already posing again  ;D