Author Topic: My Son's heart valve replacement surgery  (Read 8620 times)

Kate B

• AN World
My Son's heart valve replacement surgery
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:04:11 am »
Hi all,

After being through this insurance dog fight with my son's HMO, I am going to have a lot to write after all is said and done. He was approved Monday night at 9 p.m. to come to Toledo.   Even though the diagnosis is different, the process or hurdles navigating insurance will be applicable.

I have learned more about heart valves, then I ever thought possible.

Keith finished two tests thus far. He has never had an IV before...I told him I would add that to his "baby book" <grins>  All joking aside, I've already met the doctors and really like them and really believe that coming here was the right decision. Being that he is 26, the best valve brought us to Toledo rather than keeping us in Chicago. It is one put out by the Medtronic Corp.

The cardiologist who did the first two tests said that this Medtronic freestyle valve will give my son a completely "normal lifestyle"--like participating in triathalons.  One of the nurses said that when she does echocardiograms for patients having the valve done by Dr. Moront, it is seamless and can't tell it from  an actual normal valve.  It has been 12 years since this valve was used in surgery and they have only had to replace one.  Like all tissue valves, it has a life expectancy..this one is 15 years.  It is the construction and shape of the valve that makes it different from most tissue valves.  A tissue valve keeps him from a life of daily coumadin and restrictions in other ways.

Surgery is at 7:15 ET tomorrow.

Kate
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:08:20 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

Re: My Son's heart valve replacement surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:11:51 am »
OH Kate...we were wondering about you guys - thanks for the update.  You and your son are definitely in my prayers for a safe and successful procedure and PEACE today/night as you both anticipate the upcoming surgery...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:09:24 am »
What Kaybo said!

Knowing you from here, I'm sure you have done all the research and put forth all the effort for the best possible outcome!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:48:57 am »
Thanks for the update. More prayers are coming from Missouri.

Take good care of yourself, too, I know how stressed I have been from my daughter's surgeries this summer, and that was just for her feet!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 11:19:42 am »
That is awesome that he will be able to lead such a normal life!  Amazing what they can do now!  Best to all of you tomorrow and during the recovery, Kate.  Keep us posted,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:18:11 pm »
Good luck and healing huggles go out to your boy, dear Kate.  Please know we will all be thinking of you and sending prayers and good vibes your way.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 01:52:57 pm »
Kate ~

Thanks for the informative update on your son's situation.  I was pleased to learn that you finally conquered the insurance dragon.  The fact that the new heart valve will offer your son a normal, active life is wonderful news.  Apparently, his prognosis is excellent and he should do just fine.  I'll add my hopes and prayers for your son to the those already offered and add that you'll be included as I know how much stress there is when you're dealing with a serious medical issue of a loved one.  

Jim
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:28:20 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 03:58:46 pm »
Kate... wellness wishes coming to your son.. and healing hugglez to you too. I'm so so sorry I don't get to meet you on this trip to CHI..... but, know you all are in thoughts and prayers.  Hang in there, Mom!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

NL

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 12:44:46 am »
Kate,

Sending lots of good thoughts to you and your son tomorrow.

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 04:12:54 am »
Good luck and healing huggles go out to your boy, dear Kate.  Please know we will all be thinking of you and sending prayers and good vibes your way.
Capt Deb

[Ditto what she said!]

Kate,  We are all thinking of you and sending prayers, prayers and more prayers for Keith's successful and uneventful surgery.
Keep us posted when you can.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:59:25 pm »
Kate,

I've been away and just read about your son's surgery.  I hope all went well.  Prayers to you all.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »
Best of luck to your son, and to you, Kate.  Sending you good vibes from southern Ohio!!  It sounds like your son is in good hands.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:30 am »
Kate,

From one mother to another, I know your son is going to be well.  Just a little bump along the road we call life.   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 09:27:19 am »
Saying a wee prayer for your son.
I am sure your love will see him through this.
Take care of yourself too!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Melissa778

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 10:51:07 am »
Kate,

My prayers go out to you and your son.

I am in the Toledo area and also work for the Healthcare facility most likely treating your son.  I know of and have heard wonderful things about Dr. Moront.  He's in good hands :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(