Author Topic: Last night's MRI  (Read 8253 times)

lholl36233

Last night's MRI
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:04:04 pm »
Was scheduled to be there at 7:30pm.  They didn't bring me in until 9.  There were computer issues with the machine so I was brought in and out while waiting.  They didn't want to leave me in the tube while waiting.  Left about 10:45.  Home by 11:15.  Sleeping by 12.  Up at 5.

Got a call today I have to go back because they didn't get enough pictures.  Surprised?  How was your day?
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Last night's MRI
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »
Bummer about the MRI...normally they check the pics before they let you go.  I suggest a Bacardi & Coke before the next set of pics   :)

Best wishes on the MRI...

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

lholl36233

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 03:57:13 pm »
When you have an MRI after 5, there is not a qualified radiologist there to read the MRI before you leave.  Ever heard of such a thing?
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:05:19 am »
Does sound kinda odd...  You would think the technicians could tell if the images were ok.    You didn't say when your next MRI was.  Is there a limit on the amount of contrast that they can inject for the images?  Time / duration?  Wouild they have to inject more?
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page

carter

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:17:43 am »
bummer ----  i wonder if all were to write out the incidents thatt have occurred to them, how many books would we fill and yet not surprise anyone of us ...  in MRi alone - i have had:

1.  wrong mri ran - a head scan vs a planning study.
2.  techs who have had to take numerous attempts in getting the needle in the vein.
3.  the needle to blow out the back of the vein - the dye does burn!  then start over again.
4.  radiologists do work at night --- i know as one of my MRi's was misread --- they had to wait till the night shift came back to have him reread it...  the first time, he said that i had a significant increase in the tumor size  (the Ck dr said that it was now HUGE).  and that there was increased pressure on the brain stem.  the ck dr sent me to neurosurgeon to see if it had to be removed.
5.  taking a valium before the MRI, then deciding that i should have my eyes xrayed for metals (not my first MRI), it only took three different sets of xrays for them to say no metal.  then to #1 above.... believe me the valium wore off a long time before i was out of that tunnel of doom.

i have to get in my bad experiences ....  as i had CK, i can't brag about umpteen hours on the table, i can't show off my big old scar, etc -- so i get to throw out my stories as i can.

confidentially - i really do not know what scares me the most in life --- but a MRI machine is near the top!!!!

so for anyone that has to do two in a couple of days .... i will remeber you in my prayers ....  this is all that i can offer as i could not walk down the same path!   

tell them that they owe you several valiums for this!  and collect before you  get into the machine ...

good luck!!!!!   
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

lholl36233

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:21:28 pm »
Thank your Carter and Gary,

I will ask if I have to have more contrast and if that is ok in such a short time period.  Think of me Saturday at 3:15 Eastern time.   :)

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 06:12:49 am »
Good luck...and best wishes!

lholl36233

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
I'm hope from my Saturday MRI.  It went much better than the first time.  I was out in an hour.  They said the contrast dye is out of your system after  24 hours so it was ok to have more.  Here is something new.  In my past 4 MRIs (including last Tuesday), the took me out of the tube to give me the contrast.  Today, they power injected it from inside the room with the computer.  Interesting...

lholl36233

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:17:50 am »
I looked at the CDs from 8/11 and 8/15.  The pictures are definitely better from 8/15 but I can't tell a thing.  The left and right side look the same to me and I know that is not the case.  The left ear is 0 but the right ear is 100%.  I hope the doctors can make sense of it?   ???

Mickey

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:30:37 am »
Just took my MRI also. I guess these things never run smooth. When they put the dye into me I had a terrible urge to urinate. They took me off the table and put me back on. I didn`t hear anything so I`m hoping they had enough to make a comparison. We do the best we can. Best Wishes, Mickey

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 02:30:36 pm »
I'm not sure what reader program you have on your MRI CD-ROM...  But look at the top menu and you should be able to see commands that you control with your mouse.  If you click on the image picture menu bar (use the roll button on your mouse) you should be able to roll through the images.  The pictures start from the top of the head and end at the brain stem.  Be sure to look at labels.  My tumor is on the left, but is on the right in the MRI images.     

Somewhere in the middle of the images...you should see a mass that is highlighted by the dye that was injected.  Sometimes you have to play with the image brightness contrast to see the tumor (top menu bar...looks like a sun).  If you send me your personal email I'll send you a image of one of my MRI reading...I saved it to a Powerpoint then saved it as a "jpg" image.  (Sending it to you is quicker that posting it on facebook and posting the image link) 

That's how I compare my images from year to year.  I'll also send anyone else a copy of this image that wants one...

Gary

lholl36233

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 03:42:28 pm »
Thank you Gary.  I'll send you my MRI as well.  My tumor is also on the left but it shows up on the right on the MRI.  I think it has grown.  I'll find out Wednesday.

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:07:39 pm »
Just as a note... a few millimeters difference could be the difference in readings by different radiologists.  Suggest that you don't do anything until your absolutely, positively sure, that it is indeed changing...

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:37:32 pm »
My tumor is also on the left but it shows up on the right on the MRI.

If you look at a regular picture of yourself, you will realize that it is normal for your left side to show up on the right side of the picture. That's how other people see you when they look at you. The MRI picture is taken from in front of you, not behind you, even though it is hard to look it at that way because there is no face.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lholl36233

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 03:41:20 pm »
Hi,

I got the results of this MRI.  I get conflicting information every time I see this doctor which makes me happier I'm going to Boston next week.  I understood what I had to be an extension of the temporal bone which was narrowing the internal audiotary canal.  Today, I was told while this isn't an AN because it didn't start in the auditory canal but outside the auditory canal, it is a tumor in the same sense.  In January, it was still outside the canal, now it is breaking through.  If it is a tumor in the same sense as an AN, why didn't they give me the option of radiation a year ago?  The neurosurgeon told me a year ago they don't do this surgery in Worcester.  Today, the ENT said sure they do, they are a team and do it all the time.  Someone is confused here and it isn't me.  Still, I told the ENT I was going to MEEI.  He was fine with it and I told him I'd let him know what happens.

What do you think???