Author Topic: ANA Convention Chicago-meeting friends  (Read 14208 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: ANA Convention Chicago-meeting friends
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 08:52:34 am »
What Tim said!!!!

Can you belive I'm still trying to get home?  I am extremely grateful not to have a migraine this time.  The two headache workshops and personal round table discussion with Dr Ryzenman gave me an even deeper insight into the post-op headache phenomenon and I got a chance to meet a few folks who were where I was a few years ago and give them hope that they CAN get better and that things will change with the right meds, a positive attitude and a little time.

It was incredible meeting up with you all and doing a lot of hugging and laughing because you only have two choices--having fun or freaking out......

I love you all!!!!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 09:06:58 am »
PS-I'm sitting at the airport wearing the kick-ass hat as it wouldn't fit in my suitcase--people are eyeing me like I'm a little nuts.  Got the T-shirt and earrings on too--may as well go all the way!  That way no one wants to sit near me.  I was dressed the same at Saturday symposium lunch and head honcho Dr Wiet came and sat down right next to me!  Goes to show ya that folks who "get" ANs are real special!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 09:10:07 am »
I'm so glad that some of the rest of you were able to take in that pirate exhibit. It was awesome. My souvenir was a little more subtle -- a pieces o' eight pendant. Would have needed my own treasure stash to afford everything I wanted. Deb - did you get the black shirt with the pink skull and crossbones. Very cute.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 09:53:45 am »
Tim B,

SOOOH well said!!!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

cindyj

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 02:11:57 pm »
Great words, Tim.  Thanks!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 06:15:29 pm »
Just saw an update from kay on Facebook...she's currently in Lubbock. They circled Amarillo for a while then had to divert to Lubbock to refuel. Hopefully, they will be on the way home in a bit.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

Cheryl, I have no doubt that past symposiums were equally great. There seems to be an overabundance of very high quality people in the world of AN's.

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 07:35:35 pm »
Captn Deb has FINALLY made it home... her rescheduled flight for today was... again... delayed... but she made it back early afternoon, stopped for some (and her word, not mine) mediocre Japanese food (since Thai wasn't open or sumptin) and then headed to her mountain.....  She's all set!  Will check on her later.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 07:41:25 pm »
Please share Capt, about the insight on the post-op headaches. 

Thanks,
Anne Marie ox
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 09:38:01 pm »
Anyone hear from the Captain yet- as to if she got home safely yet?

Captain let us know when you land-ho!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

elderbirds

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 09:57:52 pm »
Hi all,
Sorry to hear about the weather delay.  We just arrived back in Maryland after our drive from Chicago!  I guess we missed the bad weather.  I enjoyed meeting those of you face to face, and after looking at the picture posts  there were many others of you I wished I had met in person to personally thank in getting me through this journey.  I wasn't at many of the "social events" as I had the kiddie and hubby waiting for me most of the time.  I was  really emotionally touched by many of the speakers and got teary eyed more than once!  We had a great time in Chicago and looking forward to Cincinnati.   
Hope

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 10:07:14 pm »
OMG, Hope!

You mean to tell me I missed you at the symposium???  I so wanted to meet you.

I thought you didn't make it.  Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you in person  :(

Maybe 2011 in Cincinnati?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 10:11:21 pm »
Jan I seemed to miss connecting with you too. I have pictures of us together but at the time I did not connect that it was you... too much noise and I was obviously missing out on names etc in the rush to take photos and run to the next workshop

Captn Deb has FINALLY made it home...

:-[Oh duh- I missed that when I posted. I have jet lag wonky head today- what can I say. It was such a high to be at the symposium I guess I am coming down and not too swift on the uptake here. ;)

SOOH glad the captain has landed. :)

Night all- I am pooped... not to mention rambling. ;D ::)

Sleep well all of you that got home ...later than you planned.

DHM

elderbirds

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 10:09:00 pm »
Jan- I can't believe I missed you too.  I thought you weren't there either!  I figured out a few people from their pictures  on-line, but realized I don't have any pictures of me (pre or post surg).
DHM- I sat with you at the brunch on Sun but I couldn't read your name tag from across the table.  I didn't want to shout out "who are you from the forum".
It was a little overwhelming with all of the people and multiple conversations going on at the table.
Hopefully I will meet the rest of you in Cincinnati in 2011.
Hope

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 05:58:16 am »
Jan- I can't believe I missed you too.  I thought you weren't there either!  I figured out a few people from their pictures  on-line, but realized I don't have any pictures of me (pre or post surg).
DHM- I sat with you at the brunch on Sun but I couldn't read your name tag from across the table.  I didn't want to shout out "who are you from the forum".
It was a little overwhelming with all of the people and multiple conversations going on at the table.
Hopefully I will meet the rest of you in Cincinnati in 2011.
Hope

Hope, did I miss you?!?!?!?!   *kicks self if its the truth.....*  :-[

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 10:35:57 am »
YES!  Hope was the cute little blonde...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!