Author Topic: ANA Convention Chicago-meeting friends  (Read 14214 times)

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
Re: ANA Convention Chicago-meeting friends
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 10:49:50 am »
I'm putting in my vote for Hope to put a picture of herself up in her avatar, at the very least...putting up pictures on the symposium picture thread would be much preferred.

Kay, your description doesn't narrow it down much...lots of cute blonds running around the symposium, and cute brunettes, and cute redheads, and cute silvery haired folks.. it was like we had stumbled into the initial rounds of "America's Next Top Model". For the life of me I can't figure out why some of you seem to be camera shy. If I looked as good as the folks at the symposium, you'd have to hit me with a shovel to keep me out from in front of the camera.

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 12:52:38 pm »
Yes, we definitely need a picture of Hope.

I'm betting some of us saw her at the symposium and didn't even realize it was her.

Kay, why didn't you tell me?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 01:19:06 pm »
Please share Capt, about the insight on the post-op headaches. 

Thanks,
Anne Marie ox

A lot of it involves head position during surgery--all of my headaches involve or are preceded by severe neck pain. Dr Ryzenman now positions the head and makes sure that the neck is not overly flexed before anesthesia.  I really think that the information garnered from the ANA patient survey, particularly involving post-op headaches, is getting the docs to take some more preventative measures i.e. head position, bone dust, etc.

Also I'm looking into a neck traction device as advised by Dr Leonetti.

You'll just have to come to the next one!! Or order the transcripts from the ANA.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 02:12:40 pm »
thanks Captn for sharing that!   :-*  It's funny that it was mentioned about head positioning during the procedure. It was of major concern to me in my initial AN treatment research... due to Chiari 1, I had to be VERY careful for AN surgery and quizzed the docs about it as well.  Only one of the reasons (for me) that I chose radio vs. surgical. 

Ok, back to harrassing each other about chicago... :D

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 08:46:45 pm »
Capt Deb,

I am going for very intense physio.  At the end of all of my exercises and stretches the physiotherapist has me laying on my back.  He holds my head in both hands than he gently massages than he press in along the back of my hairline until it is painful.  He holds the pressure and than releases.  It is painful, but it is a good pain.  Today he went further and did my temple area and behind my ear.  He told me that he really isn't pressing that hard, I am very tense and my muscles are tight as a result of the surgery, so this is rather intersting that the Docs are now taking precautions.  I really hurt tonight from all the treatment.

I plan on attending the next convention.  My father-in-law's condition is terminal and he is at the end.  It is his heart what is keeping him going.  I would have been in Chicago if the situation wasn't so bad.  I think I will order the transcript.  It will make for some intersting reading and I would like to give my Doctors each a copy.

Jan, do not be so critical of yourself.  I too have put on a lot of weight since I have been off on disability.  It is a combination of the drugs a lack of exercise and just maybe my age  ;)  From the pictures I saw everyone looks great. 

Anne Marie   
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 09:05:15 pm »
Capt Deb,

Jan, do not be so critical of yourself.  I too have put on a lot of weight since I have been off on disability.  It is a combination of the drugs a lack of exercise and just maybe my age  ;)  From the pictures I saw everyone looks great. 

::) :)

Oh Goodness JAN- you look great as you are!

You have good color in your face and unlike many of us (me for example) you have a nice symmetrical smile and no weird winking going on as you do so. (Thus I wear the dark rimmed glasses to hide this wink thingy) You have a beautiful forehead and you do not have to do the “bangs thing”, as I do, to hide the non-functioning brow (One surgeon called this not Botox- but the “Bangs-tox” approach  :D LOL )

YOU LOOK FINE!!!

I just regret I did not connect who you were and give you a big ole hug- right there in Chicago!

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 05:22:41 am »
Bangs-tox . . . that's a good one. As you can see, I use that treatment approach as well.

DHM, while I did see that your smile is not symmetrical, I did not notice any weird winking. As a hemifacial spasm patient, I fully believe you when you say it's there, it's just not as noticeable as you think. So, I'm going to say:

Oh goodness, DHM, you look great as you are, too!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 06:58:23 am »
Guys, truly I'm not having a pity party here, but I appreciate all the nice comments  :)

Case closed - on to more interesting and important things!

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 03:20:12 pm »
Finally back home and on the computer again!  I, too, will have to agree with many of you that Tim said it all as to the super experience of being surrounded by fellow ANers at the symposium.  It was my first symposium so I have nothing with which to compare it but Cincinnati is going to have to work hard to top it for presentations.

However, the greatest plus for the symposium was meeting all of you neat people.  Now I am reading about several of you who were there that I did not get to meet and I am disappointed!  Phyl and Steve tried very hard to alert us to gatherings of Forum posters, but it was very difficult to hear in the crowds so I missed some of the occasions to meet you.  I did have some great conversations with several non-forum ANers and urged them to join this forum.  Let us know when you join if we met in Chicago!

My head is still swimming with all of the new connections!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 03:24:41 pm »
Tim, well said!

The highlight was definitely meeting all of you - I wish the event had been a little longer because I missed meeting a few of you, and I would have liked to have had more time to spend with everyone.  However, hopefully we can all gather in Cincinnati in '11.  In the meantime, thanks to everyone who posted pictures - whenever I need a smile, I will just go look at all the wonderful pictures. 

You guys all ROCK!!

(And, Phyl?  Sorry to disagree with you, but you TOTALLY deserved that award - you are the rockin-est chic on the forum!! ;D ;D ;D)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com