Author Topic: Do these CPA tumors run in the family?  (Read 6282 times)

lholl36233

Do these CPA tumors run in the family?
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:28:05 pm »
I believe my father had this.  My symptons first appeared just before he died of congestive heart failure (which I believe is unrelated to our problem).  I said to him once, "I have ringing in my ear."  He had a surprised look on his face and said, "so do I."  He then tried to explain it to me like it was nothing   Looking back, he was speaking with the voice of experience.  My mother spoke to his 80 year old sister who said she completely lost her hearing in one ear a long time ago (maybe she was in her 30s like me) and has ear ringing.  She never questioned it.

I can't believe I am related to people who would ignore this?  I am not going to follow their path...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Mickey

Re: Do these CPA tumors run in the family?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 04:15:27 pm »
My personal belief is that AN`s are more common than we all think. I was reading that in some places where they do autopsy on everyone who dies 1 percent have some kind of AN in their head. Just a little tidbit of info while resarching over the years. Mickey

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:39:59 pm »
Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, is a common ailment, esp. for those over 50.  I have friends w/the same complaint and they seem to be tumor free.  While tinnitus is very much associated w/ANs, it is not necessarily a harbinger of a tumor as far as I can tell.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »
I'm a little lost here - although I'm familiar with BAHA, SSD, AN, etc. - what is a CPA tumor??

If we're talking ANs, they aren't supposed to be hereditary, but we've had cases on the Forum.  Lori67's dad had one and then there's Big Sister and Little Sister.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 07:07:23 pm »
Hi all

CPA tumors means cerebellopontine angle tumors, of which AN's fall into the category, as well as other tumors in the CP angle region.

My sister died of a malignant childhood astrocytoma... have spoken with my docs to see about genetic testing... for me, at this point.. and where there are no plans for children, it's a moot point for me, thus, I will not pursue.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Phyl.

To me, CPA always means Certified Public Accountant - but then again, I'm a beancounter  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:11:12 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Phyl.

To me, CPA always means Certified Public Accountant - but then again, I'm a beancounter  :)

Jan

figures! ;)
xoxoxoxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lholl36233

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:05:00 pm »
Does it make sense to completely lose hearing in one ear and ignore it feeling, "I can hear great in one ear, I don't have a problem"?  Apparently, it does on my father's side of the family.   I agree, tinnitus doesn't automatically mean a tumor but also losing hearing makes me wonder...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:42 pm »
Does it make sense to completely lose hearing in one ear and ignore it feeling, "I can hear great in one ear, I don't have a problem"?  Apparently, it does on my father's side of the family.   I agree, tinnitus doesn't automatically mean a tumor but also losing hearing makes me wonder...

I had hearing loss, facial numbness, and occasional vertigo and managed to ignore it about 3 years.  When my balance went to hell  and my vision went crazy after having my 2nd baby and I couldn't ride my horse very well, I finally went to the dr.  I hate going to the dr.  I did go to the chiro before that, because I thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck (I also had neck problems that were tumor related).  Did I mention that I don't like going to the dr?

Vonda

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 02:03:39 pm »
Laura ~

To date, the medical literature regarding acoustic neuromas does not indicate a credible case for heredity exists, except with Neurofibromatosis, type 2 (NF2), which is generally accepted by the medical profession to be a genetic disease. 

Unfortunately, there are myriad causes for unilateral deafness and, even more so, tinnitus.  Close to 20% of the U.S. population suffers with tinnitus - which translates to about 60 million people.  I endured slowly diminishing hearing in one ear for quite a few years and simply accepted it, because, like 'Arkansas Farm Girl,' I hated going to the doctor and I just assumed the hearing loss was 'natural' due to aging and my 25-year career as a radio disc jockey, wearing tight-fitting headsets while playing rock music - for hours at a time.  On hindsight, it seems rather foolish, but I thought it was quite reasonable at the time because I had almost no medical issues prior to this and made fallacious assumptions to justify avoiding a doctor visit.  So, I managed to adjust to my SSD and 'moved on'.  Right up until dizziness and losing my sense of taste (and 30+ pounds) along with all my energy (to the point of severe lethargy) drove my wife to become alarmed and make a doctor's appointment for me.    The rest, as they say, is history (and noted in my signature). 

My completely unprofessional conclusion is that acoustic neuromas are not hereditary and that the correlation between ANs and tinnitus is far more apparent than real.  Of course, I could be wrong.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 05:22:08 am »
Hi,

I have a CPA tumour. I was told by all the medical professionals that reviewed my MRI that this is the same as an AN causes same symptoms and long term effects, but because it is originating from CPA to ICA they call it a meningioma. None of them mentioned anything about this being heriditary or asked if me anyone in my family has one. Interesting enough, my mother seems to have always had trouble with one ear, ringing, vertigo, headaches, but no hear loss that she can determine. However, she was never tested. I also heard the same thing that Mickey referred to. A lot of times, these tumours go undiagnosed, and although the doctors say they are rare, they do find a lot on autopsy.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

joebloggs

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 03:27:23 pm »
My mum has hearing loss, ringing, severe vertigo and headaches and was tested for an AN long before I knew I had one... she has Meniere's disease though.  No tumour.  I am the lucky one though - my tumour is gone  and I'm fixed.  Her symptoms are still there.  Poor mum.  xx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

suboo73

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 04:42:54 am »
I'm a little lost here - although I'm familiar with BAHA, SSD, AN, etc. - what is a CPA tumor??
If we're talking ANs, they aren't supposed to be hereditary, but we've had cases on the Forum.  Lori67's dad had one and then there's Big Sister and Little Sister. Jan

Hi holl36233!

I am "little sister" [thanks for remembering, Jan!] but so far, there doesn't seem to be a proven hereditary connection.  My husband asked one doc and they said no.  Then asked the 2nd and they said well, maybe.  We just figure it hasn't been 'mapped' yet in that great Human Genome project!

Anyway, my paternal grandmother had severe hearing loss in one ear, but to the best of my knowledge, no other symptoms- she was a school teacher in one room schoolhouse (!) and took daily walks into her 90s.   Her daughter had hearing loss.  My dad (her brother) has some hearing loss.  And now my sister and me.  So go figure!  ???

The only advantage is we have the technology not available before, to rule out or see various things inside the body.  On the flip side of that, i have had false readings on my mammograms - technology AHEAD of the docs ?  I was called back several times and various test later, no problem.  Boy, did they have me going!

I am an information person, so i try to keep that in mind and gather what i can.  What was frustrating for me is misdiagnosed for over 12 years, and my sister found out in one month!  G-d bless my SISTER's ENT or i wouldn't be here today.

All my best and keep those great questions coming!
Sincerely,
Sue

PS - Hijack - glad to hear from you, Joebloggs!  I will say a prayer for your mum. 
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Mickey

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 03:01:15 pm »
Up until the past 25 years I`m sure that many AN`s went unnoticed. They probably went on with symptoms and took them as getting older and ended up taking them to their rest. My mother well into hers eighties has ringing for as long as I can remember and hearing is very bad, 2 hearing aids. I never put anything into motion with her all these years and she has no idea of what my condition is. (don`t want to alarm her). For her age shes doing pretty well otherwise. Very interesting, Who knows?  Mickey

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 03:54:04 pm »
If we could all analyze this in our family trees, my guess is that we would potentially have 3795 different results.  It would be oh so nice and neat if we could say, this is what causes ANs or "it was in my family."  However, I think researchers are making giant strides on cause/effect of ANs but they still have no definite results.

In my case, my father had tremendous tinnitus and hearing loss, but he died at age 70 of heart disease with no one investigating any source of his tinnitus so I will never know.  At least my children can be watchful now for any appearance of symptoms and be tested early.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011