Author Topic: Driving  (Read 5365 times)

josnik

Driving
« on: March 17, 2006, 02:01:04 pm »
I'm 4 wks post op today. I have not been driving yet. Who determines when you are ready??Me or the Dr? Because of the head movement of looking back and forth, I'm nervous. I still have a little balance problems. It's funny because in the house I'm fine but the minute I step outside--it feels really wierd--like everything is moving. When I am in the car as a passenger-the few times I ventured out since my operation-it feels wierd also. I guess that's motion sickness. So I'm just curious as to when I should try to drive???
Successful translab Feb 17, 2006
2.3cm x 2.8cm left side
Pittsburgh, PA-AGH
Dr Chen & Dr Baghai

Battyp

Re: Driving
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:09:14 pm »
Oh Boy!  Some of us just decided when we were ready.  I had a test from the doctor to tell me I was ok before really doing it as like you everytime I turned my head it was not a good thing.  That's gotten better after vestibular therapy but I still have to be careful about how I look from left to right etc...

I figured after I quit screaming on the passenger side I was ready  LOL  after the driving test I was told I'm no worse than a blue haired old lady, to not drive when I was tired (which was always), to not drive in the rain, no highway driving, no heavy traffic driving and I couldn't drive at night due to vision problems  lol

It was almost 5 mos before I started to drive just to give somewhat of a reference.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 04:34:37 pm »
As long as you feel weird outdoors and unsure you probably wouldn't attempt driving.  I drove around the block to a place for lunch at two weeks.  But I had lost my hearing and balance long before surgery.  So I was only dealing with the incision and mild balance issues.  Driving was not difficult but I didn't go out every day.  I drove one day at two weeks and then another day the next weekend...Sort of testing.  Driving was easy at three weeks,  but this was not on a freeway with four lanes.  Never asked permission.  Who knows better than you?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 10:26:27 am »
Ya know.. this is one of my biggest fears (will be having  CK done in 2 weeks).  They tell me to have someone drive me back and forth into Downtown Boston (which, trust me.. .is a challenge onto itself!).  I work 1-1/2 miles from home but already experience dizziness and not sure how I will be after treatment. I've already worked out with a co-worker that if they have to come to pick me up and take me home, it'll keep me from being behind the wheel.  I don't believe that the CK will affect me as such but really concerned about it immediate post-treatment. 

josnik, I think, in time (since you are only 4 wks post-op) that you will be able to drive sooner than later, even if just down the street. Trust your body and it will tell you when.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 01:51:43 pm »
    I did not drive for a long time (10 weeks).. once I was no longer sensitive to light,(because it was hard to see, not a balance thing) I drove around town ..(keep in mine I'm working full time at this time).  I do drive to work now (40 miles one way), which it close to professional driving as you can get without being a race care driver. ..... and my wife is driving home -- now that it getting light out after work I can start driving home ..
   Keep in mine I could of been driving sooner, but I chose not to because I did not need to, my wife's job takes her near close to mine so we commute togeter!! My night time vision STILL is not good as would like so I avoid driving at night becuase of the blurry vision because of the drops...
   I might add that my eye Dr. was actually surpised last time I saw him that I was not driving .. it was MY choice .. driving around town is one thing ,, driving to work at 80 mph is another .. I wanted to wait untill my vision was good enough ..

my Rule, Don't Mix  ---- Drink, Drive or Lacri-Lube  ;) but Drink and Lacri-lube is fine  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 01:59:09 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

matti

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 06:36:51 pm »
I started driving 3 months after surgery. To this day (almost 8 years post op) I can't drive at night. The glare from the oncoming headlights literally shuts down my AN side eye. I still find it a challenge to dirve on busy freeways or streets in daylight, due to sensory overload. My AN side eye functions slower than the other. 

Joef - I adhere to that rule as well  ;)
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 08:02:04 pm »
Gee I only don't drive at night or when talking on my cell phone...Have to concentrate too hard can't answer the phone!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 01:14:33 pm »
I waited 6 months to drive. The driving was fine.  The finding my car in the parking lot was the hard part!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 11:31:21 pm »
Capt Deb,

I thought you sailed everywhere. You couldn't find your car coz you took the boat - silly!

I was pretty lucky in that i drove after a couple of weeks. My passengers still think that i have a problem but lead foot is not caused by an AN.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Static

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 04:33:22 pm »
I found that I didin't feel as dizzy when I was driving as when I was a passenger.  I would put my head against the headrest and that took the dizzy feeling away a bit.  I started slow, after about 2 mos recovery, just driving around the block a few times, then taking the kids to and from school.  After that I was fine.  I took my first, long trip (about 90+miles) 5 months after surgery.  I kinda just used my own judgement. 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 09:12:43 pm »
Capt Deb,

I thought you sailed everywhere. You couldn't find your car coz you took the boat - silly!

Laz
Actually, I didn't own a car til I was 35 years old!  I did sail, or dinghy everywhere.  I owned a dinghy called "funkydink" which had red shag carpeting tacked around the gun'ls and was too ugly to steal. I also had a pair of pink oars that I carried around everywhere!
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 09:23:11 pm »
You are kidding me - FUNKYDINK" that explains everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I must say that even now, when i move my head suddenly, I get a little dizzy and disorientated - makes, covering for that blind spot when diving a little difficult at times. Not sure if its my re-growth or outcomes from surgery or both.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:07:25 pm »
Josnik,
  My vestibular therapist mentioned that he wouldn't suggest driving until I could rotate my head left and right (to check blind spots in the car) without the lurching feeling.  I also agree with Static, being the driver is easier than being the rider.  As the driver you'll know when the car will be shifting right, left, stopping, etc.
  If going outside is uncomfortable for you, you may not be ready to drive.  Are you going out for daily walks?  This really helps with vestibular function.  I found that I could increase the "complexity" of walks after the first few weeks. Meaning that I avoided busy intersections during the first walks, and then added more complexity during later walks.  Walks on uneven trails in parks is also helpful.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

josnik

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 09:38:19 pm »
Thank you all for your input. I live in Pgh. PA so the weather here is cold. We did have nice weather last week (around 60's) so I was able to get outside and walk. That really helped me!! I felt like a new person. I did walk the mall this past weekend. I think I'm ready to drive. It's just scary--I don't want anything to happen. I passed out back in December (before my surgery) at work and I had no feeling of that coming on whatsoever. All the tests came back negative. My Neurologist said it could of been caused by the AN but noone knows for sure. I'm gonna try to drive a little this weekend. Thanks again.
Successful translab Feb 17, 2006
2.3cm x 2.8cm left side
Pittsburgh, PA-AGH
Dr Chen & Dr Baghai