Author Topic: Golf???  (Read 4956 times)

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
Golf???
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:23:04 pm »
Does anyone golf post-surgery or GK/CK?  Just curious to see how much this will effect all aspects of my life, even the hobbies.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Golf???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:24:43 pm »
I know we have bikers (motorcycles and bicycles), runners - including marathoners, kayakers, and standup paddle boarders so I'm betting we have golfers here too.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:48:23 pm »
I had a translab (& some other things too) and i played in a league until the day my daughter was born - haven't played since, but hope to take it up again soon since the girlies are older!  I did wear a patch b/c I have no depth perception anymore - oh yeah, i don't count whiffs, roughs and I the only tourneys I play now are "Best Ball"!!

K

PS - don't jump in sand traps if you have balance issues!!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

grega

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:53:55 am »
Hi DR .... thanks for posting your question.  

Yep .... golfer here.  I'm 60 and have been golfing for quite a few yrs, since realizing from Dad how great a game it is.  I have two of his caddy pins from when he was in Jr and Sr high in the 30's in Baltimore .... attached to my golf bag.

I had my AN removed in November '04, and of course, balance issues curtailed outings for a couple months.  I did plan to attend my annual week-long golf trip to South Carolina the following February (3 months later), but didn't because of an illness unrelated to my surgery.  Since then, I've been playing as often as possible .... but not as much as I'd like to.  Matter of fact, I just broke 90 for the first time last week.  

Back to your question and concern, DR.  Keeping in mind that everyone could experience different issues, AN surgery should not negatively affect your golf game, after your balance returns to some normalcy.  But of course it'll take several months (at a minimum) for that to happen.  

I wish you well in your decision-making, and if you do decide on surgery, I hope Mother Nature gives you mild Michigan winters so you can play often!  Swing your clubs often  .... it'll help.

Keep swinging and keep  ;D -ing !!!!!!

Greg
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:34:52 am by grega »
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:09:46 am »
Hi,

I had translab surgery for my AN.  I have been golfing several times since my surgery.  I don't notice any problems with balance as I golf.  I was not that good before surgery and I'm still just as mediocre.  I do carry my clubs so it does give me a bit of a workout at least. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 03:47:16 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies!  While driving home last night after playing in my golf league the question popped into my head.

- Dennis

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 05:01:15 pm »
Did someone say golf?  DR -- I had surgery in Dec 07 -- and have had balance issues since -- I'm still in vestibular training.  I just assumed that returning to golf was not in the cards.  Then last Spring, my 26 yo daughter decided to take up the game and talked me into joining her.  I was rusty, had some how regained some bad habits -- but balance was not as issue.  The only time balance was a problem was stepping off a golf cart after it had been moving.  My suggestion -- as soon as you're physically up to it post surgery -- head to a driving range.   I made the mistake of waiting a year and a half.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 11:12:11 pm »
i can bowl after a bit , seems the an side isn't doing to bad there. riding a bike is out as is a harley. i lean towards my good side too much.\

with a golf ball, your swing will probably be off sliced from normal. so some positioning of the feet towards your an side will be necessary. hitting it hard no problem. putting, maybe a bigger deal
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 10:25:14 am »
riding a bike is out as is a harley. i lean towards my good side too much.

Don't give up.  I had this same issue initially - not on a harley, but on a bicycle.  The first time I got on my bike post op I promptly ran into some bushes  :P  My son was highly amused, I was not  ::)

It took me an entire year to try again, but when I did I found my balance to be much better.  I was wobbly at first, but soon got the hang of it and can now ride a bike as well as I did pre op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tony

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 01:33:28 pm »
Golf is very much the way I got my health back
- post 4-5 surgeries, minus one balance nerve and about 50 lbs ?
Anyhow - golf involves balance, movement, and (the way I play) stamina too
Yes fatigue and balance maybe issues early on - but it gets better
I had to play a short swing/choke down game for 24 mths post op
My best pre-op score (9 hole) at 4marks was 54 - the average was 56-7
I hit a 42 a week or so back, now averaging 46-7
My Neuro psycologist assures me this is "impossible"
Strange - my friends all say I am "impossible" too...
I am now working on a "full swing" - I now have a 150yds 6 iron range
I have found the more you do
- the more it impacts on general health, stamina and balance too
(Oh and I taught the nurses to play indoor in the rehab unit)
So go to it ?
Best Regards
Tony

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:59:06 pm »
Does the Wii golf game count? I didn't take it up until after my retrosig surgery.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 02:32:27 pm »
Well now I'm starting to feel much better!  (And yes, we will count Wii golf.)  I'm not a golf-addict but it is a fun hobby that gets me outside during the brief Michigan Spring/Summer/Fall that lasts approx 11 days.  I guess I will keep my spot on the golf league.  8)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 03:45:57 pm »
DR ~

I held off posting on this thread because I know most golfers have a somewhat derisive attitude toward miniature golf, which is basically just putting a non-regulation ball on a flat surface with no swinging or chipping.  I've never played 'real' golf because I view the game as too expensive (for me) and at this point in my life, too much time/work is needed to play even adequately - and I'm somewhat of a perfectionist.  However, I found playing miniature golf to be both fun and, in a way, good balance 'therapy'.  I began playing in 2004 and was back at it within a month of my AN surgery (6/06).  Until recently, my son (age 29), my wife and myself played miniature golf on a regular basis, usually as a threesome, partly for the physical activity in the fresh air and, for me, the benefits of the walking, as the courses we played were usually quite large and spread out.  My son is an excellent player, I'm a passable putter and my wife looks cute in her 'golf hat'.  My son and I even played in some mini-golf tournaments and did well, although we never won.  Unfortunately, my son's interest waned as his job responsibilities increased and my time has been somewhat limited lately so we've pretty much abandoned the game this year.  I miss it but, like most physical activities, if you lay off for a year, it's hard to come back and shooting a horrible round of miniature golf isn't much fun, so I may not return to the game anytime soon.  However, it served it's purpose; it gave us more family time and helped me improve my balance capabilities.   O.K., it's not 'real' golf, but I thought I would venture to mention miniature golf as a relatively low-cost, easy-to-play game that doesn't require a big investment (although I bought a new mini-golf putter some years back), gets you outside, doesn't require strenuous exercise (for those adverse to taxing physical activity, as I am) but does help you walk a lot and focus.  Not for everyone of course but neither is 'real' golf (as my family calls it).  Just a suggestion.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 04:57:14 pm »
Does anyone golf post-surgery or GK/CK?  Just curious to see how much this will effect all aspects of my life, even the hobbies.

Four:-)   Honestly, I just took a few lessons last summer and have played just a few games.  Balance is not my issue...Getting the ball on the green is my problem.  I love being outdoors on the green and find the course peaceful.

Have you golfed since this post?

Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

wcrimi

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 03:17:14 pm »
I play tennis and a little basketball.  There are some balance issues, but I can fight through them and play almost as well as before.  I would think those sports are tougher to bounce back to than golf. So my guess is that you will easily be able to play golf eventually.

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move